Ivy SCIV->SCV Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,I'm an Ivy player too(already introduced myself in the right place of the forum)and I would like to give my opinion about the NEW Ivy...

I just can't believe how much she changed...I mean,NO STANCES AT ALL!!?? I think is still quite early to say that she is ruined altough I never played the game at any tournament or competitive level but I played the previous ones(just 3 and 4) and I liked how difficult it was to master her stances and neverending moveset(IV specially)I was specting at least 2 stances again...or even serpent's embrace..but..NOTHING!!...I can't feel any thing else than frustation about what I found as soon as I tasted Ivy by myself...it's very dissapointing to me...but I still hope to play as good as posible to play her decently...

I really don't want to change of char,she's my fevourite one,there's nothing else in the roster that calls my attention...Omega pyhrra maybe but idk...anyway...just wanted to share with you guys my opinion ;) (sorry for my english...I'm from Argentina)

Your english is fine bro, and I echo your sentiments. Ivy without stances is like Scorpion without a spear, it's ridiculous.
I can only hope they have added movelists in DLC, but that's probably a pipe dream, even though I don't smoke crack =oP
This version of SC is definitely geared to allow younger/newer players to hang with those of us who have been playing this game since it's inception, which I understand to a degree, but taking Ivy's stances away just really grinds my gears, lol.

I don't think Ivy should have ever been a stance heavy character, in fact I like to play her in this version of the game, what I don't like is the frame data she has.

A: Making her stance based limits her tools, and forces you to be unsafe when you don't want to be. you never saw Sophi in a situation where she can't use all of her attacks. Ask yourself if that truly what you want in order to gain power back?

B: SC2 honestly had 1 true stance, with very temporary shifts for specific attacks. If they gave her an (A) option out of 22, (Even if it was a high...) then she might be worth fearing a LITTLE when it comes to damage, and a close range game.

I'm getting more or less Jaded... but I never want to drop her. But from my experiences, characters have a triangle of balance - Damage_Safety_Mixups

If I were to rate some high tiers from this game, I can score them like this-

OPyrrha - 10_10_2 (Not much mixup, but WHOAH safe and damage!)
Natsu - 10_4_7 (Lots of confusion, lots of damage, but not too safe.)
Mitsurugi - 7_7_7 (All Around, and solid.)
Cervantes - 7_8_6 (More of an all around, but he has some nice frames now.)

An this is how I rate Ivy.
Ivy - 2_2_3 (Seeing what the problem is?)

Ivy lacks in too many areas from what I can see to be Tournament viable.

I am considering maining Elysium, and having people gawk at watching a 5-Hit JF come out consistently when Ivy is her stance. =P

How are you meant to input for Calamity Symphony whilst dashing? I'm obviously missing something, help anyone? Also yeah not loving the new Ivy, removing so much of her move list has left her not feeling like Ivy at all. But I've been with her since SC2 and I am not going to quit now. This alteration was obviously meant to nerf her as well as make her easier to play.

Does Ivy have any good low hitting attacks while crouching? I want something to mix up her crouching 1B with to keep them from blocking high all the time.

Does Ivy have any good low hitting attacks while crouching? I want something to mix up her crouching 1B with to keep them from blocking high all the time.

I've been using 2A while crouching , like a poke to get em to block low then usually follow it up with a B or BB depending on range

Ivy's Calamity Symphony grab in this game is DUMB! My input is perfect 90% of the time, but it never comes out. Do you have to do it in, like, .0000003 seconds or something!? Bull. The directions are already awkward as is, time shouldn't be a factor for the non-just version. >.<

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum, not as a reader but it's my first post here.

And Ivy is the reason why i go for a first post. I'm not a great player on SC in general, but I think I'm pretty decent.
I play Ivy since Soulcalibur 1 and never thought of changing maining her, except maybe in SCV due to her heavy changes.
I won't discuss or cry to her changes as I think basically everything has been said, and we won't change her.
But i just find myself having heavy difficulties to play her in SCV.

I used to play her very offensively, trying to turn my opponents mad with all the positions and mixups she had and keeping them at good distance with it. Whenever they got close to me, I had few moves in sword stance to punish and do heavy damage to make them think again before getting close and so creating the gap I wanted to fight them. And basically I think my game flow was quite fine and very fluid to me. I never felt her as a slow character and was very good at pokes. Honestly, in SCIV I think I could poke my opponents forever without having them retaliate that much.

However in SCV, I have very high difficulties to get this back again. I used to be able to impose my rythm to the fight and here I suffer a lot my opponent's gameplay.

Is this just me who doesn't understand the character any longer, or am I missing something? If you have some advices to give me.

PS: sorry for my english, I'm french.

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum, not as a reader but it's my first post here.

And Ivy is the reason why i go for a first post. I'm not a great player on SC in general, but I think I'm pretty decent.
I play Ivy since Soulcalibur 1 and never thought of changing maining her, except maybe in SCV due to her heavy changes.
I won't discuss or cry to her changes as I think basically everything has been said, and we won't change her.
But i just find myself having heavy difficulties to play her in SCV.

I used to play her very offensively, trying to turn my opponents mad with all the positions and mixups she had and keeping them at good distance with it. Whenever they got close to me, I had few moves in sword stance to punish and do heavy damage to make them think again before getting close and so creating the gap I wanted to fight them. And basically I think my game flow was quite fine and very fluid to me. I never felt her as a slow character and was very good at pokes. Honestly, in SCIV I think I could poke my opponents forever without having them retaliate that much.

However in SCV, I have very high difficulties to get this back again. I used to be able to impose my rythm to the fight and here I suffer a lot my opponent's gameplay.

Is this just me who doesn't understand the character any longer, or am I missing something? If you have some advices to give me.

PS: sorry for my english, I'm french.

Assuming he still plays the character, you're lucky to be close to Malek and the other french community. Have you tried contacting them yet for casuals?

Ivy is not about forcing mixups and the advantage anymore. She depends on pokes for the majority of her damage, and her wide throw range + CS to make your opponent duck. I talked a bit to Linkrkc about this, and I'm convinced that she is more passive-aggressive -- frustrate your opponent with safe moves and let them make the mistake.

She doesn't have heavy damage anymore, for sure. That's why she's not top tier. But her overall safety and core game makes her a valid threat, and someone who people should not be underestimating.

Ivy's Calamity Symphony grab in this game is DUMB! My input is perfect 90% of the time, but it never comes out. Do you have to do it in, like, .0000003 seconds or something!? Bull. The directions are already awkward as is, time shouldn't be a factor for the non-just version. >.<

Actually, you should be doing it slower. Not exact frames or anything, but you have a full second and change to input all the necessary commands. The most important command here is the 666 -- its very easy to make the mistake of pressing B+G first before the last 6, even though the game's command input display may say otherwise.

Actually, you should be doing it slower. Not exact frames or anything, but you have a full second and change to input all the necessary commands. The most important command here is the 666 -- its very easy to make the mistake of pressing B+G first before the last 6, even though the game's command input display may say otherwise.

Maybe this is what im messing up because i have tired alot the tricks posted and haven got a thing and while I generally try to overcomensate for the lack of CS with solid play it annoys me to no be able to pull it off yet, not even in match training moded at the very least would satisfy me.

I've actually gotten it down since the post. I think my problem is that I was missing the the second 8, and skipping to the 4. I use both the analog and the D-Pad for it.. Ups on Analog, downs on D-pad, 1P left analog, rights D-Pad; 2P left D-Pad, rights analog. Works out pretty well.

I also like how you can buffer pretty much the entire input this time. In IV, I had issues when trying to buffer it, I always had to wait for her to be done attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back