Japanese or English VO - Which did you stick with?

Japanese or English VO - Which did you stick with?

• Japanese!

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • English!

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Neither, I play with volume muted

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
English, using Japanese voices in fighting games just irks me. I won't have any problem playing / watching a tournament where Japanese voices are used but I much rather prefer English.

Japanese > English any day. For fighting games at least.
Neither language sounds better than the other in terms of talent. The Japanese have a good amount of flaws in their acting too (speaking at high volumes, little distinction between some voices, "overacting" a character's emotions/personality, having lines that sound so ridiculous from their English counterparts, that they can't be translated properly, etc,.). The only difference is that the Japanese parts aren't always understood, so people are going to think its better. Well, consider this: deodorant may mask a smell, but the stink is still there. Might as well take a shower. You may switch the voices to Japanese, but that does nothing and the script still sucks.

Only a handful of some voices actually sound pretty nice in Japanese (Xiba, Yoshimitsu...), but otherwise it's high pitched screams from the female cast and incredibly child-like yells from some of the males.

Then there's Aeon and Voldo.

Only a handful of some voices actually sound pretty nice in Japanese (Xiba, Yoshimitsu...), but otherwise it's high pitched screams from the female cast and incredibly child-like yells from some of the males.

Then there's Aeon and Voldo.

I disagree. Japanese females always sound great. (Well with the exception of Konoha from Arcana Heart 3)

lol, I still wonder what that means when Hilde spouts it at Siegfried.
Hmm I looked it up.

Complacent: Pleased, especially with oneself or ones merits, advantages, situation, etc, often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; self satisfied.
"The voters are too complacent to change the government."

I'm more of a "If they are native to the language, then they should speak it" type of person. Prime example, Tekken, which has gotten better in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with characters speaking Portuguese (Eddy, Christie, FINALLY), German (Leo), French (Lili), Chinese (Wang, yet it urks me that Lei Wulong's Hong Kong accent is gone), Korean (Hwoarang), Spanish (Miguel), and everyone else just speaks English, Japanese, animal language, or just doesn't speak at all (Dragonov).

But as far as this game is concerned, both sides have their pros and cons. Characters like Pyrrha, and Xiba sound better in Japanese, and then you have characters like Natsu who sound pretty damn cool in English.

I like the Japanese dub of Ivy though, especially when she is getting hit.

I'm more of a "If they are native to the language, then they should speak it" type of person. Prime example, Tekken, which has gotten better in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with characters speaking Portuguese (Eddy, Christie, FINALLY), German (Leo), French (Lili), Chinese (Wang, yet it urks me that Lei Wulong's Hong Kong accent is gone), Korean (Hwoarang), Spanish (Miguel), and everyone else just speaks English, Japanese, animal language, or just doesn't speak at all (Dragonov).

But as far as this game is concerned, both sides have their pros and cons. Characters like Pyrrha, and Xiba sound better in Japanese, and then you have characters like Natsu who sound pretty damn cool in English.

I like the Japanese dub of Ivy though, especially when she is getting hit.

I always thought it was funny in Tekken 6 when Nina would speak to Jin in English, then Jin would answer back in Japanese, then Nina would answer again in English.

I normally play in Japanese (don't know why) but my friend kept asking me what all the in-fight banter meant. This distracted me from fights and I simply switched it back over to English to save the trouble. I've been too lazy to switch it back, but in reality there's no real difference.

Back