Kayane's Hands-on Impressions of SC5

Namco graciously invited Kayane to come to GamesCom to try out the build of Soul Calibur 5 that they brought with them, but was unable to share her impressions of the game until August 30th because of a media embargo that was in place. Now that the embargo is over, Kayane stayed up until 6AM her local time in France just to share with the community her impressions of the game.

Check Kayane's blog for the full details, and leave a comment with any questions that you may have for her.

Firstly, I'm a fairly casual player (though I'm hoping to make it to my first tournament, Devastation, this Fall) so I guess my opinion isn't as informed as most o here.

I've been playing SC since SC2 and I use GI, but not very frequently. Except to send Algol's bubbles right back up his arse.

JG worries me a bit. It seems too simple with too high a reward... But that's kind of also what I think about GI. I'm glad they're nerfing it. People GI to the point where most moves in a character's moveset are completely useless. I hate watching a match and seeing only 4-9 moves used throughout the entire thing. Moreover, I can't bring myself to do that. I like to mix things up and use many different moves. More often than not, this leads to me losing a match. It shouldn't. What is the point in making so many moves if most of them can hardly even be used?

They need to find a way to open up the movelists (no, I don't think they should remove GI, that would be beyond lame) so that a character has 40+ useful moves to learn. And 40+ moves you have to be ready for, instead of 5.

After some reconsidering, I think this new mechanic could actually be somewhat interesting. While execution of the new GI is pretty awkward, the emphasis on JGs allows for intense close-range combat and constant exchange.

It's not like Namco is removing GIs at all. I totally dislike the new input tho, and I hope they can revert it back to what it always was (6G/4G/1G/3G) instead of 3A+B+K.

I think I'm getting the idea Daishi wants to implement. I just hope enough fan input is considered to mold this stuff while it's still malleable.

And to all people going overboard and raging: open a Twitter account and tweet Daishi. Let him know how you feel. But keep all your shit here, in this forum.

I havent seen one Top Player complaining about this new game system, only some people who try to teach Soul Calibur to Saitoh. Furthermore 90% of this thread is false information. People think they can spam lows, people think this will lead to turtling etc...i call bullshit on all of that. Not one single dick has played this yet, still a bunch of people already know the impact on high level games. Really interesting.

If anybody in here is able to tell me why exactly this is bad instead of just whining "mimimimimimi i want Guard impact back, mimiimi it was always like that" than maybe i could take you guys serious. Right now its whining with ZERO backup, nothing else. So again why does this encourage turtling again?

People are spamming daishis twitter with bullshit, what a shame.

Man, THIS times over 9000

People are complaining for very little reason. Yes the system is totally different, but is it better? worse? WE DON"T KNOW! But at the very least, we have Kayane, one of the best SC players and longtime fan, saying that this new system is at the very least alot of fun and encourages mindgames and unique playstyles with vastly different characters. That alone is a step up from SC4... Why are people trying to write it off? Especially without giving it a chance? I don't get it at all.

[-__- ] .....smh

Premature haters, plz stop before this community falls into '3rd strike syndrome' -- where players are so stuck in the past that they fail to appreciate a superior game (which SC5 is personally looking like so far, compared to sc4). Nothing wrong with new features (as long as it works overall). Unless we want to eventually have a namco version of SF4

when the fact is released, then it might be already too late to fix things...
potential for disaster must be eliminated right away~

I didn't say don't make your concerns heard.
But eleminate a new feature completely, without even thinking about the potential gain, because of potential failure, is too conservative for me.

Taking out something that's fine like Low GIs is another story though. I don't understand when they get rid of good things.

Eh, I'm not so worried about just guard as I am GI being meter dependent. But I'm usually wrong when I try to call anything too far in advance and I haven't seen this system in action yet. So take my opinion for a hill of beans. I am a little curious about this JG though. I think there should be some penalty for trying one and missing it but since it's tied to the guard button that would be hard to manage. Sufficed to say that getting hit will have to do, but an early attempt will just get a guard right? Which means little by way of consequences. It puts a lot more risk in the game though if nothing's safe. Gonna have to see how it all shakes out.

I'm not gonna read into the hardcore stuff until it hits the shelves. Until then, I'll let my casual self be wooed by seeing more of this game. So thank you Kayane for sharing this with us. I really appreciate it.*Pocky Yoshi is still salty that you get to play SCV* *pouts*

After some reconsidering, I think this new mechanic could actually be somewhat interesting. While execution of the new GI is pretty awkward, the emphasis on JGs allows for intense close-range combat and constant exchange.

It's not like Namco is removing GIs at all. I totally dislike the new input tho, and I hope they can revert it back to what it always was (6G/4G/1G/3G) instead of 3A+B+K.

I think I'm getting the idea Daishi wants to implement. I just hope enough fan input is considered to mold this stuff while it's still malleable.

And to all people going overboard and raging: open a Twitter account and tweet Daishi. Let him know how you feel. But keep all your shit here, in this forum.

aha... as if he doesn't read this forum... shit in his tweet or shit here, is all the same, he is gonna get the message that he messed up GI, period.

Kayane was just being nice, safe, and diplomatic... and most of all as a 'community-representative' who writes review, being neutral~

true we don't know the details, but we, or at least most people have brains and can think which direction this is leaning towards to...

if daishi still thinks that the inclusion of JG will be escalating the play-style of SC significantly, then he wouldn't bother with all the 'hate JG tweets'.. and we should all look into this JG stuff...

but we have to make sure that daishi is really SURE about what he's doing with this JG, how can we do that? by sending tweets of our concerns over JG..

what if some people spam daishi with 'hate JG'? so what? it's his job consequences as a game director, he's paid to read the tweets (they're called feedbacks, positive or negative)..

This thread went wild with 'this and that' about Just Guard. Just Guard is a terrible idea too simple for such a high reward vs. Just Guard is going to make the game fun and exciting.
Just give the game a chance people! If we keep putting pessimistic arguments over constructive criticism nothing will be done but bickering.
Have a little confidence in Daishi and Namco and make your statements count! Besides there's a Just Guard concerns/discussion thread if you want to go more in depth... This is about the blog right?

I don't think GI costing meter is a big deal. How often do people (successfully) GI in a regular match? GIs are, like, a 2 frame window (something like that), so it's a relatively big risk that's been regulated to strictly punishing highly predictable behaviors. Unless you're fighting an idiot, theres not gonna be a whole-lotta GIs going on in a match anyway. Alot of times there are better ways to punish anyway (duck->launch, sidestep, autoGI, etc). That's probably not gonna change with any newer Calibur

I also think JGs are going to be a much lesser deal than people think. Unless JGing gives you something crazy like 20 frames of added advantage, the chance to actually USING JGs to punish are probably not going to happen very often; and only to punish specific moves. You can still block if done early? So what? Even more reason to go for it. That's no different from Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and that game was awesome

My friend, don't assume I'm pointing out to you. I respect your opinion. :)

emm...suuuure.....

Anyways, GI and JG need to be reconsider, the input command for GI is just stupid, and it also consumes soul gauge... so why in tha F hell would I want to waste bar if i can just JG, makes no sense, on the other hand if!!!! doing a GI gives you the frame advantage that a JGI did on SCIV then is worth doing it...in any case if the final product is as bad as the demo I'm just gonna do many many many low attacks :)

good thing they are open to suggestions cause without fans input this can only end bad...(close beta is needed)

If GI takes meter, it better be hella good. Can you GI throws or UBs? Do you get some guaranteed shit? (basically like JI in 4)

If GI takes meter, it better be hella good. Can you GI throws or UBs? Do you get some guaranteed shit? (basically like JI in 4)

Hey nobody knows, still everybody talks shit.
in any case if the final product is as bad as the demo I'm just gonna do many many many low attacks :)

Can you again explain to me why you think lows are gonna be that strong in SC5 or will you just keep on talking bullshit?

Seriously there is no point in taking you serious at all, you just repeat what Omega said, am i right? I really want to know why Lows will be that strong. Please tell me.

Lol Taki's 1A is like -25 on guard at least, for example. I don't think that stuff like that will be overpowered, and there will be low JGs, that make lows even more unsafe, low JGs might happen a lot if you see lows Just in time to low guard them.

who said that low GIs are not in SC5? Kayane only said that she couldn't find out how to do it. Doesn't mean they aren't in the game.

Personally, I hope they make side/back throws unbreakable

Live streams

4 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Casual Matches for fun times! Yay! c: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back