Kayane's Hands-on Impressions of SC5

Namco graciously invited Kayane to come to GamesCom to try out the build of Soul Calibur 5 that they brought with them, but was unable to share her impressions of the game until August 30th because of a media embargo that was in place. Now that the embargo is over, Kayane stayed up until 6AM her local time in France just to share with the community her impressions of the game.

Check Kayane's blog for the full details, and leave a comment with any questions that you may have for her.

Oh yes sorry i confuse you, Soul Gauge and Critical Gauge are the same. I think he said Soul Gauge a long time ago, he must have changed the name into Critical Gauge now. :) But i'm still used to Soul Gauge !!

If SC5 is playable in Japan, then surely SC5 should be playable in other big video games conventions in US and Europe too. I hope so. But logically it should be like that. :)

If Brave Edge attacks are like EX attacks in other games, with invincible frames, that is too drastic of a change. And the fact I'm having to pay just as much attention to my meter as my health bar is simply not SoulCalibur. It wasn't even to that extent with CF in SC4. I'm dying to see how this pans out.

The BE attacks are another thing where there's a big lack of information. I'm not expecting them to work just the same as in other games, but who knows until we get that info or until more people play the game. A dev blog would come in handy right about now.

Meter management may be foreign to SC, but who wants to keep playing the same old game? I don't. And if this was the case, we'd still be playing Soul Calibur 2 right now.

Are the changes in SC5 really that drastic?

Of course they are, this will be half a new fighting mechanic, where in a mid-high level of play you will to pay just to much attention on bars,etc.

But im tired of talking of the same again, this will be a new gameplay, in fact
i think they are trying to make a new turn to the series maybe for a long way on to the future.

We that love the game will have to adapt to whatever they give us.

Long live SC

Twitter: @OlivierIvan

Oh yes sorry i confuse you, Soul Gauge and Critical Gauge are the same. I think he said Soul Gauge a long time ago, he must have changed the name into Critical Gauge now. :) But i'm still used to Soul Gauge !!

If SC5 is playable in Japan, then surely SC5 should be playable in other big video games conventions in US and Europe too. I hope so. But logically it should be like that. :)

Clearly we have to congratulate Kayane for her great work!!
see you in france!! cheers!

Meter management may be foreign to SC, but who wants to keep playing the same old game? I don't. And if this was the case, we'd still be playing Soul Calibur 2 right now.
Who wants to play the same old chess? Who wants to play the same old basketball? Who wants to play the same old Mega Man? Those people are in the minority, dammit.

You tell em Vints!!! The shot clock, 3 point line and allowing all races to play are the worst things to ever happen to GOOD OLD BASKETBALL.

Goaltending rules? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

I figure that is sarcastic enough to get your attention.

-Idle

Originally, they wanted to call it "Soul Edge 2", but the higher-ups refused. The original Soul Blade/Edge had a meter. Maybe we're not getting faithful "Calibur" game, but we're getting "Soul" game nevertheless.

The game is going to be playable at TGS in a couple of weeks, plus they've said that they're going to be taking the game around for people to play. Am I missing something?
Well now that we are quoting messages, i really hope you are not missing anything, im just letting people see how things are, all of you forget again about how glitchi sc3 was and how unbalanced and unatended SC4 is, every change in the game you and some players, are just yea its good , this change is good, ryu in sc its good, scorpion yea is good, it seems that im a really crapy player and im the only one concern about the game, you dont like what i say, just leave it at that, if you dont like my post suck it up period, im not insulting anyone or anything just giving my opinion,Cause i see everyone just agreeing with all the changes, 1- meter yes, 2 half of the rooster gone yes 3 no soul charge again yes, 4 one GI for everything JI is gone no GI for throws and uses meter yes, 5 JG yes, no while landing moves again yes, 6 less speed again yes, wow, so many changes from what is sc, i feel like its not soul calibur anymore.

Let your voice be heard, we are listening to fans, please give your opinion, and now nobody says anything, and the ones that say anything then people like YOU seems to be bothered by it, man dont hate, and stop calling people stupid just because they are complaining, cause if thats the case then i think that the people that are ageeing with everything are stupid and i havent said anything, so have more respect for others peoples opinion, cause i do it and believe me i have a pretty bad mouth and temper, but i have manners so lets keep it simply, thanks, peace out.

Omega.

IdleMind: You're reading me all wrong on the basketball. I hope Koz is right, because the name Calibur for 5 is just false advertising, which is what I said initially about this being better for a new series.

I was reading some of the Japanese tweets. GI now using 4A+B+K as the input is to prevent accidentally inputting an CE. I don't mind the rest of the changes to GI, but I still don't like that as the input for it. I would prefer it remain at 6G if possible.

@Omega: I haven't been bothered by what people have to say because my life doesn't solely revolve around a video game. I just want people to give actual feedback instead of just saying everything sucks, I'm on a fucking boat which is what you and others have been doing, so I will leave this here as a reminder.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/one-point-of-advice-before-you-post.7394/

And like I been saying, I like what I hear, but I still need to play the game to make an assessment.

Bitchin about the game?, this is the first time in my lifee, that ive complain ever, the difference between you and me, is that i was liking what they were doing up until now, read my post and youll see that im not bitching about anything, im concern about the direction of the game and the answers that they are giving us, i dont want history to repet itself thats it, im going to leave it at that, and im going to listen to you and back off a little to see what they offer, now i hope that if you dont like what you see, say it, dont keep it to yourself. Peace out

Omega.

Tokio Game Show in Japan. It is planned to be between 15-18th September...
I expect to see many stuff there...
Thanks for the info
after reading Kayne's blog, I'm starting to be okay with the "GI" changes. Just wish they would change the input from 4 a+b+k to 6 a+b+k

This how-to-construct-an-intelligent-post thread is surprisingly insulting, even more so that Malice and Ivyfanboy now feel the need to "remind" us it's possible. Gee, thanks for the heads up. Maybe if you were doing your job as a mod and deleting posts by stupid people or realizing that most people don't have the foresight to make intelligent arguments anyway, you'd realize you wouldn't have to bring that up. As I once said to Warui about someone making retarded arguments, "lol, you actually read his posts?", sums it up perfectly.

This how-to-construct-an-intelligent-post thread is surprisingly insulting, even more so that Malice and Ivyfanboy now feel the need to "remind" us it's possible. Gee, thanks for the heads up. Maybe if you were doing your job as a mod and deleting posts by stupid people or realizing that most people don't have the foresight to make intelligent arguments anyway, you'd realize you wouldn't have to bring that up. As I once said to Warui about someone making retarded arguments, "lol, you actually read his posts?", sums it up perfectly.
Lets be honest here. There's nothing more retarded than your posts. When was the last time you actually made a post that wasn't some horrible attempt at trolling?

i won't be quoting anybody for now but it amuses me that some people just aren't able to accept the truth that what they're doing is not right, and make excuses like "they did it first"... nice... shows who they really are...

on the other hand, it is clear that daishi heard the complaints.. and replied wisely to comments like this one:

SonicTheSaviour Spartan Pete

@Daishi_CALIBURlol. Daishi, you're doing a fantastic job. Ignore 8wayrun. they're just a community full of arrogants and nasty people.

with replies such as this:

Daishi_CALIBUR Daishi Odashima

Thnx for the moral support but I think people give negative feedback because they love the game, which is very grateful@SonicTheSaviour:

i'm glad that daishi's used to deal with people who like to suck up to him and trash others..

at least now if he's going to keep the same decision about the game, he'll be thinking at least twice about it.. if he's sure about which direction he's going then it's fine.. but we should always give him 'reminders' of things..

Man after reading every comment from 18 pages I've found that as a community we are very passionate about our beloved soul calibur and for that it is good. We however need to be careful that we don't let this argument break our community before things even restart with SCV.

I understand how a lot of folks are upset with the changes being done to SC but I think some changes were bound to show up. After reading comments from 2d fighter communities and from my friends who normally play 2d fighters they usually seem to feel that soul cal has changed very little since it's been around. Till we learned that SCV was finally being made it seemed the old formula cracked and many began to doubt soul cal after all the problems of SC4. But we got SCV and it seems that Project Soul felt that while at its core the game will be SC but the game needed some new change/direction.

With change, comes fear and hatred. After reading 18 pgs of comments this is quite apparent, b/c passionate fans we are. I for one and bothered by all the change like many but I'm willing to try things, especially if this could make things deeper and possibly more mind gamey than before.

Now, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but if you really want things to play like SC(insert #) honestly go play that version and enjoy the heck out of that game, nobody will fault you for enjoying your favorite game.

Kayane thanks for giving us your views on the game as Im sure it was very challenging to take in all you could from your amount of gameplay all while still fangirling out and trying to enjoy your favorite series. Your take on the game was seen by fighting games fans from all over and I'm glad it wasn't super negative like this thread has been. If your comments were I'd think the fighting game community would have given up on the game and moved on.

I'm still looking forward to SCV and so far I really just want to get my hands on the game and really work out the new mechanics. So far these system seem to be trying to find that nice middle ground between those who are top level players and those who are more casual players. Meter management in soul cal will be interesting to contend with. Too bad vader and apprentice won't be there to enjoy the party cuz one more meter to manage wouldve been crazy ridiculous but cool....Done(sorry for the wall of txt):sc4cas1::sc4min1::sc2xia3:

shoot. I'm just sitting back and seeing what they tell us about the game. the most that they'll get out of me is an arched brow and that could be used for both positive and negative thoughts on the game. but going by what you said Jilione I hope Daishi-sama looks at 8wr. I don't have a twitter and don't really plan on getting one yet and would be happy if he can sift through peoples opinions (whether good or bad) here and take it in just as much as he does on his twitter account.

my opinion. I don't care what's going to happen because I'm gonna buy the game and enjoy it either way!

Live streams

3 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Casual Matches for fun times! Yay! c: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back