Lost Swords

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't presume to have any special insight, but let's be honest.......SCV outsells TTT2, even when they cut off the tap on SCV to throw it our the door (they admit it was rushed and 3/4 of the story was cut)...you really think it did less than expected?

Plus the book on Daishi is that he quit. Sure I get that when it comes down to it, only Namco and Daishi know whether that 's true, but if he did quit, is it because Namco wanted him to develop products he couldn't get behind?

Honestly, SCV had superficial failings. But LS seems to double down on those failings, and ignore what made it good. I have no doubt they are using a saleable property to cash in on the ftp $$; but the whole rationale for LS seems to be directed at what were perceived as SCV failings,though that perception seems to belong to Namco and no one else.
I don't think it's worthwhile to directly compare Tekken and Soul Calibur. SC4 also outsold Tekken 6, and that didn't help the franchise much. I get the impression Namco is giving special attention to Tekken, or the arcade scene for Tekken is giving them a bunch of extra revenue.

There's one thing which is extremely common in the game industry: if it sells, publishers will keep pushing it. With there being no sign of SC6 yet, and the leads being replaced, I personally think that's a sign Namco wasn't pleased with SC5's performance and decided to change direction.

The odd focus on singleplayer for Lost Swords is baffling, but I'm guessing (and hoping) it's only because of the game's low budget. Maybe they had a choice between focusing on adding online versus content, or doubling down on singleplayer content, and they went for the latter. Either way, with it being a weird low budget title I don't think it's any indication of what Namco is planning to do with the series.

I'm fine with Daishi go away from my SC, he was the biggest obstacle to the SC i wish to see one day
Problem is i can't trust new peoples if theyr first move is SC Lost Shits for douchebags

I'm just start to thinking SC will never actually resurrect

1- I don't think it's worthwhile to directly compare Tekken and Soul Calibur. SC4 also outsold Tekken 6, and that didn't help the franchise much. I get the impression Namco is giving special attention to Tekken, or the arcade scene for Tekken is giving them a bunch of extra revenue.

2- The odd focus on singleplayer for Lost Swords is baffling, but I'm guessing (and hoping) it's only because of the game's low budget. Maybe they had a choice between focusing on adding online versus content, or doubling down on singleplayer content, and they went for the latter.

3- Either way, with it being a weird low budget title I don't think it's any indication of what Namco is planning to do with the series.

1- It's about legacy
SC game >Tekken game
Tekken legacy > SC legacy
Harada > Daishi
Simple as that. If SC had a strong director that know how respect and push the brand image, SC will get different recognization and better treatment from Namco

2- LOL, do you really believe that?
Even if was the case, this will just double bad. They bet on the wrong side and the result is anyway pathetic and by far the worse thing that ever SC ever got
Instead waste money for this shit, they had the chance to bet on true SC players and do suppa DLC with veterans for SCV... but no, better bet on retards, because -point 3-

3- ...because as Hoshino said "SC players are different from TK players, and they like eat this kind of horrible shit :)"
Now, probably the words were not these, but the meaning was that
I don't want even consider Lost Shits the future of SC, but as one that was hoping to see Hoshino "save SC"... well, is not exactly the best start
Lost Shit will pass and a new SC will arrive, but if that is theyr vision of SC players (not LS players, SC players) don't be surprised to see the brand get fucked by Namco again and again

i think it's kinda sad that you demoralize yourself cause someone well known stated what they think the situation is on about. i get looking up to someone but calling yourself a retard in comparison isn't exactly the best way to give someone a compliment. maybe you were educated or something. but i don't think anyone is retarded for stating opinions. and some were legit. don't shoot yourself down is just what i'm trying to say, for the sake of someone else.

i think it's kinda sad that you demoralize yourself cause someone well known stated what they think the situation is on about. i get looking up to someone but calling yourself a retard in comparison isn't exactly the best way to give someone a compliment. maybe you were educated or something. but i don't think anyone is retarded for stating opinions. and some were legit. don't shoot yourself down is just what i'm trying to say, for the sake of someone else.
I thought Wandrian was being sarcastic?

Again
Don't even bother read my post, just go read what Hoshino himself said about Lost Shits and how is what SC community want and deserve.
I've my hands full of "retard" medals for everyone? Sure, but is not that far from what he say.
He just say it with black belt 7th dan diplomacy skill.
Dat lose hurt feelingz never stop being delicious, bravo

And Hoshino is the new captain of SC ship

If i'm the only to see all this as something wrong, well... gg 8wr forum and respect to Hoshino, that actually was spot on at recognizing what this community is about

Also... What does the SC community really want? We all have a generalized idea we can agree on. But then again, we'll probably whine like f***ing babies because Zasalamel got removed #Namco-Must-be-racist!

Also.... Pleasing the entire SC community is difficult as hell! Have you seen all the single player vs offline story-mode player debates? I've seen it about a dozen times on this site alone.

#You play fighting games for story mode?! (Repeated 108,549 times.)
Even if was the case, this will just double bad. They bet on the wrong side and the result is anyway pathetic and by far the worse thing that ever SC ever got
Instead waste money for this shit, they had the chance to bet on true SC players and do suppa DLC with veterans for SCV... but no, better bet on retards,

I assume you have no clue that the game market is in the crapper right now for fighting games compared to 2008... Then again, when you want to talk about money, making a "below-par" spin off game of an already-developed game is a smart financial move. Especially since 2 game studios went bankrupt in the past 2 months, Capcom and Square Enix also both lost money last year, didn't you know that?

I'm sure we'd all love a Soul Calibur 6 with a 50 million dollar budget, tons of single player modes and great online. But then again... "Will it sell enough to make a profit?" You can criticize all day, but I'm not reading any solutions from you.

Last edited:
Also... What does the SC community really want? We all have a generalized idea we can agree on. But then again, we'll probably whine like f***ing babies because Zasalamel got removed #Namco-Must-be-racist!

Also.... Pleasing the entire SC community is difficult as hell! Have you seen all the single player vs offline story-mode player debates? I've seen it about a dozen times on this site alone.

#You play fighting games for story mode?! (Repeated 108,549 times.)

I assume you have no clue that the game market is in the crapper right now for fighting games compared to 2008... Then again, when you want to talk about money, making a "below-par" spin off game of an already-developed game is a smart financial move. Especially since 2 game studios went bankrupt in the past 2 months, Capcom and Square Enix also both lost money last year, didn't you know that?

I'm sure we'd all love a Soul Calibur 6 with a 50 million dollar budget, tons of single player modes and great online. But then again... "Will it sell enough to make a profit?" You can criticize all day, but I'm not reading any solutions from you.

Yeah, it's always impossible to please everyone. But SCV has likely split the fanbase into irreconcilable factions and I highly doubt that the rift will ever heal. Not that previous games didn't have critics, but it was never on the level of this game.

We could all charge back and forth at each other over what's important in a fighting game and whether or not SCV came with expectations that were an exception to the norm. But the point is that the developers went into SCV and pretty much lost sight of the prime focus of their game and their series. Hence, they made SCV and people either fundamentally hate it or they love it.

Lost Swords is apparently a well-intentioned, yet fundamentally flawed attempt to reconcile some of SCV's problems so that PS will still have a viable customer base when Unbreakable Souls and the eventual SCVI are released. But once again, it seems like the team lost sight of what made an SC game and an SC game.

Until they remember what Soul Calibur really is about, the ditch is just gonna get deeper. But at least we're not at Final Fantasy XIII lows...yet...

Until they remember what Soul Calibur really is about, the ditch is just gonna get deeper. But at least we're not at Final Fantasy XIII lows...yet...

Lol at least they promised not to make a 4th FF13. But then again I think Lightning and Serah are one of the coolest FF characters next to Rikku, so I like all 3 of the games... But I know, you can only add so much to a single story line before you make it concluded.

Lol at least they promised not to make a 4th FF13. But then again I think Lightning and Serah are one of the coolest FF characters next to Rikku, so I like all 3 of the games... But I know, you can only add so much to a single story line before you make it concluded.

I yeah, I like Serah and Lightning too just like I liked Sazh, Noel and Snow. But the story and gameplay mechanics of that game were so fundamentally flawed, convoluted and amazingly broken that I'm surprised anyone even stuck around for the 20 or so hours that it apparently took until the game became "fun".

20 hours? Why can't the game be good right now?

For all of it's flaws, SCV's gameplay is at least "functional" as far as player input and mechanics are concerned, which is way more than I can say for XIII. In fact, I'll even give SCV's story a break for once because at least it had a comprehensible and enjoyable evil villain in the form of manipulative Tira. I actually felt sympathetic for Pyrrha and rooted for her through all of Tira's manipulations and ZWEI is probably my favorite SCV character despite appearing to have come straight out of a Final Fantasy rip-off.

As much as it's not "passe" to say this word, I can't think of any other way to describe the villain's plot in FFXIII. Because from motivation, to methodology and down to the goal, Barthandelus' plot is the most convoluted and retarded plan that I've ever seen in fictional history. In fact, the only reason that it actually "works" is because the player is shoe-horned into doing exactly what the villain wants them to do because the hallway commands it.

Tira's plan was actually good and though it was also assisted by a lot of plot contrivance (thanks Patroklos), it's still Mozart compared to Barthandelus' plot.

Yeah, it's always impossible to please everyone. But SCV has likely split the fanbase into irreconcilable factions and I highly doubt that the rift will ever heal. Not that previous games didn't have critics, but it was never on the level of this game.

We could all charge back and forth at each other over what's important in a fighting game and whether or not SCV came with expectations that were an exception to the norm. But the point is that the developers went into SCV and pretty much lost sight of the prime focus of their game and their series. Hence, they made SCV and people either fundamentally hate it or they love it.

Lost Swords is apparently a well-intentioned, yet fundamentally flawed attempt to reconcile some of SCV's problems so that PS will still have a viable customer base when Unbreakable Souls and the eventual SCVI are released. But once again, it seems like the team lost sight of what made an SC game and an SC game.

FFXIII is one of the best FF games to date... aside from XIII-2, the story in the first was fine and the gameplay and mechanics of LR are some of the best ive ever seen in a JRPG

FFXIII is one of the best FF games to date... aside from XIII-2, the story in the first was fine and the gameplay and mechanics of LR are some of the best ive ever seen in a JRPG
You'll find a lot of people disagree with you there...
Also, have you never played a recent Tales game? A lot of people seem to really like Graces f's combat, and it was good, but Vesperia on NG+ is borderline spectacle fighter depth and I much prefer that myself...
Although I've only played the demo of Aladdin: The Return of Lightning, there really did not seem to be much to it... just mash the correct attack, switch, repeat.

You'll find a lot of people disagree with you there...
Also, have you never played a recent Tales game? A lot of people seem to really like Graces f's combat, and it was good, but Vesperia on NG+ is borderline spectacle fighter depth and I much prefer that myself...
Although I've only played the demo of Aladdin: The Return of Lightning, there really did not seem to be much to it... just mash the correct attack, switch, repeat.
The tales gameplay puts me to sleep. Never understood the love for those games.

Anyways, this is super off topic.

Anyways, this is super off topic.
Oh who cares? Off-topic is better than depressing LS talk anyway...
Not that I'm so determined to convince you, people have different tastes, but I certainly couldn't call this boring. I guess you could say that the enemy isn't doing much here but hey, there's very rarely a single enemy like this. Also, if you want that, that's what Graces f is more focused on with it's dodge mechanic and limited attacks.
Personally, I feel FF should've stuck to it's guns with proper turn-based combat. They should stick to what they knew how to do and improve on that, rather than this nasty hybrid in which you're still just pressing A but it's dressed-up so much like an action game and you feel like you should be doing more, and the pace means strategy has to be sacrificed.
I never liked FF's combat, but I like it much less now.

Last edited:
Back