Lost Swords

Thank you.
I've little time before go outside, now you saved me from long ass reply.
Read the entire sentence, I said by comparing the process of making, I bet that mediocre graphic style is way harder than what we have on SC., and the animation? Forget about it, SF animations are superb.

Said that
Most of request was about get back characters, and for that PS will have surely recycled both models and animations a lot, different was if they wanted add total new characters
So? Character model problem solved, SC V still got a lot of new mechanics, so what make you think that would be easy to just port an old model?

But you know what? I give up, your reaction is my whole point, SF is so blind that will get mad because of anything, saying that SF is less than the ultimate fighting game, is an offence for which there is no forgiveness, so re-read our little discussion, and see that you got all violent and cynical first, for a miserable quote that I deleted, because I knew that this would happen.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that for two pages you were calling SC fanbase retard, and nobody gone berserk.

Last edited:
I'm almost 50% sure they're going to announce SCVI at E3 this year, or possibly at the TGS. It's been two years and a change in management since SCV. It's time for a comeback.
You had better be right. I meant every word.
I highly doubt we'll see any Soul at E3 this year. Lost Swords just came out, so they'll at least be waiting to survey the general reception.
Lost Swords is shit, are they REALLY expecting something positive? They should do it anyway and not hold good things ransom. "Oh, buy my shit product before I make something worthwhile." Bad business.

Let's see
What SF4 given us with DLC expansions?

Characters:
Guy
Dudley
Ibuki
Cody
Makoto
Dee Jay
T.Hawk
Juri
Adon
Hakan
Yun
Yang
Oni
Evil Ryu
Rolento
Elena
Hugo
Poison
"?" 5th character

I just want to correct you that Guy, Dudley, Ibuki, Cody, Makoto, Dee Jay, T.Hawk, Juri, Adon, and Hakan are the characters from SSFIV and not DLC characters.

Big snip.
I'm not saying the fanbase should just accept this complacently, by any means, but instead of crying "this is shit" and being done with it, we ought to be more constructive in our criticism, and also be positive about the aspects we actually like.

The only possible thing to be positive about is slight move changes, most of which are not plausible.

Since they've spent the time to add characters to LS, why wouldn't they make them available to SCV?
I'm sure there must be a reason for it but, who knows? The fact that it's PS exclusive seems to contradict it's "cash-cow" nature, but who the fuck knows?

I doubt this would happen. Harada once trolled about Eliza not becoming playable in TTT2. This is truly a straight up cashgrab, I doubt they would make any effort to put any content onto a real game like SCV. They didn't even give Dampierre everything he had in Broken Destiny, not even his 2P.

Either way, if people don't like LS, don't play it? Let the data speak for itself.
We've already discussed how PS thinks we want this because they think we hate losing. With their flawed logic, what if Lost Swords' reception is poor and they take that as a cue to pull the plug on the series?

The only possible thing to be positive about is slight move changes, most of which are not plausible.

I doubt this would happen. Harada once trolled about Eliza not becoming playable in TTT2. This is truly a straight up cashgrab, I doubt they would make any effort to put any content onto a real game like SCV. They didn't even give Dampierre everything he had in Broken Destiny, not even his 2P.

We've already discussed how PS thinks we want this because they think we hate losing. With their flawed logic, what if Lost Swords' reception is poor and they take that as a cue to pull the plug on the series?

I was basically talking about the series in general with that, as per Ramus/Gatsu's discussion.

No I know they won't take the content and add it to the main game - I'm questioning why not? A better cashgrab would be to just say "Hey, we've got some lines and moves for Sophie using the SCV engine, let's just make her DLC."
And I'm WELL aware of what Dampierre is missing ;P

And if LS reception is good then they'll keep thinking they're right and churn out more guff like it, so I don't get this last paragraph of yours. Surely by not playing it and playing SCV instead, NB will go "Oh shit, look at that." They're not likely to merely drop the series because people hated LS, especially when SCV sold so well.

I've explained this dozens of times and am not going to do it again. Point is, the casuals are why this is happening. It's (almost) the same thing that happened with Halo 4 by 343 trying to appeal to the casual crowd more, look how well that turned out for them..

Halo 4 is arguably the BEST of the series... So a moot point, appeal to the "casuals" (in an inaccurate title) was a good thing for the series because it's so much more fun and competitive now, seeing as the game has sold MILLIONS, I don't know how that turn out could be considered bad.... But then again, everyone has their own biased opinions.

Also towards people complaining about Lost Swords, okay, why argue and speculate about things far out of your control? It's pointless, if the game sells well, it sells well, if it doesn't, it doesn't. You're wasting your time discussing sales success, because at the end of the day all you can do is buy it, or not buy it. (Unless you're a stock investor.)

Do you have any idea how long the development cycle of a game usually is? Especially after changes in management. Consider also Revolution has been out longer than Lost Swords, and it's been longer since the last main-series Tekken game. Not only that, but Tekken X Street Fighter is still nowhere to be seen. I wish I could be as wilfully ignorant as you seem to be on the matter, but a Soul game is not on the cards this year.
Not this year, but I can easily see one coming in 2015.

And if LS reception is good then they'll keep thinking they're right and churn out more guff like it, so I don't get this last paragraph of yours. Surely by not playing it and playing SCV instead, NB will go "Oh shit, look at that." They're not likely to merely drop the series because people hated LS, especially when SCV sold so well.

and herein lies our problem: do we contribute to help fund the property and a better next chapter, or do we ignore it and say this isn't even close to what we're interested in?

Who knows? I might not ever even see this game...........LS hasn't even been confirmed with any kind of release date in NA, just the EU and Australia. Looks like you'll be deciding before I will @Le_Bello.

and herein lies our problem: do we contribute to help fund the property and a better next chapter, or do we ignore it and say this isn't even close to what we're interested in?
Maybe a mix of both? If enough people download and play it, but don't actually buy anything, it could send Namco the message "We want more Soul Calibur, but not this exactly."

Simple solution. VOICE YOUR OPINION.

As I said before, look at the Xbox One's reception when it was first announced, imagine if no one stood up and said anything like many of you are suggesting we do with LS. Stop being passive with the whole "Oh we don't need to complain, just don't play it, I'm sure PS will know what we want in the next game!"

As I said before, look at the Xbox One's reception when it was first announced, imagine if no one stood up and said anything like many of you are suggesting we do with LS. Stop being passive with the whole "Oh we don't need to complain, just don't play it, I'm sure PS will know what we want in the next game!"

While I agree in principle, comparing this to the Xbox One is apples and oranges. For the Xbox, the most obnoxious features were widely panned and criticized in the mainstream press, not just fan outcry.

Something like that will never happen with an SC game, and 25 people taking to twitter to bitch about LS will have about as much impact as the request for an official, OK for tournaments skin for SC's DJ-style did: zero.

Though if 8wayrunners would stop bitching at each other and actually do something as an SC community, that could potentially sway opinions at PS.

Or not, and we'll confirm they think nothing of their fanbase.

About a year or so ago, I had actually sent my "Logic's Insight" on SCV to Daishi himself through Twitter and I'd like to think that he read it (Either by being able to read english or through google translate or something). I'd also like to think that I wasn't the only fan who voiced dissent over SCV and this caused him to quit with little fanfare and PS restructured itself in response to the fan backlash and comparatively lackluster reception of SCV when compared to past games.

And look, I don't hate SCV just to hate it. I was harsh on the game because I love the series and I because I know that it can do better. Because it simply wasn't the game that me and many other fans had petitioned for. Because we despised that PS got our hopes up only to dash them with a functional "european" fighter game that looked like Soul Calibur, but it wasn't. So I gave SCV tough love because I don't want PS to make the same mistakes in the future. I'll even point out that it did do some good things that I'd like to see in future games. Just like LS did some good things that I'd also like to do in future games.

But PS has to hear from it's fan/customer base and keep constructive criticism in mind. V only existed because PS wanted to know if fans wanted another Soul Calibur game and we said yes. But when gearing the game towards the competitive crowd at the detriment of everyone else backfired, PS eventually brought out LS which has been proven as a Well-intentioned, but fundamentally doomed experiment.

Ultimately, I'd hope that PS learned from SCV, LS and even SCIIHD's screw-ups for the future. You can't make a fighting game without multiplayer and you can't blatantly ignore most of your fanbase at your leisure and expect to keep making a profit with bare-bones games with no replay value, needlessly reinvented and complicated gameplay mechanics, lazily chosen character rosters and terrible narratives added onto what has been a consistently interesting story line maintained and held up throughout the series.

Hopefully, these lessons will help the reorganized PS regain perspective and focus on how to make the next Soul Calibur game a glorious game like with SC through SCIV or even SB. But for that to happen, fans need to give tough love because they know PS can do better and PS has done better.

I just want SoulCalibur to be SoulCalibur.
That's not an answer. How are the controls complicated or needlessly reinvented? As a new tournament player I'll say this: WB was my FIRST time fighting offline human opponents and it was great. It was the best fighter I've ever played. Everything worked the way it should have and not that it matters either way but there barely any JG in that meta. So please elaborate? Do you miss free turtling? Useless horizontals? Shakeable combos? Critical finish? Soul charge? What?

That's not an answer. How are the controls complicated or needlessly reinvented? As a new tournament player I'll say this: WB was my FIRST time fighting offline human opponents and it was great. It was the best fighter I've ever played. Everything worked the way it should have and not that it matters either way but there barely any JG in that meta. So please elaborate? Do you miss free turtling? Useless horizontals? Shakeable combos? Critical finish? Soul charge? What?
The feel of a true SC game.

@Thaeonblade
Needlessly reinvented and complicated gameplay? What? I can't let that go, you're gonna have to share with the class on that one.
I've already said this before and it's clear that a lot of people on this site strongly disagree with me.

But to make a long story short, the gameplay was just fine in SC through SCIV. It was simple enough for anyone to pick up and play and yet had a lot of room for improvement in skill. Guard Impact added a level of tactical unpredictability to duels. Grabs and timed guards could put combatants on edge and pick their offensive plans more carefully. This added a level of mind games to matches to where you had to counter-counter opponents or outright bluff them to get an opening. Add in a consistent varied roster with a lot of mixtures of close, mid and long range combatants and this meant that no two battles between skilled players ever played out the same.

SCV threw all of that out the window.

I'm kind of bored to death of repeating myself, but after 2 years, my opinion on the gameplay still sticks. I'd be okay with the increased tempo and aggressive emphasis of the gameplay if the defensive aspect hadn't been butchered. Just Guard is difficult to pull off and ultimately worthless, the Guard Impact has been neutered and needlessly limited to this new meter, and couple that with the halved move lists and how basically impossible it is to try to pull off a Brave Edge or Critical Edge without being vulnerable to a cheap combo...it's not any fun to play.

I can't even tell you how many times I've been knocked down and despite all of my efforts to block or get up quickly, I just watch my hp bar get chipped off piece by piece by cheap shot after cheap shot. And it's not like I sucked at SCV or that I didn't try...it's just that the gameplay's fundamental principles are designed to infuriate my particular kind of gamer: Strategic gamers.

I guess I have a bit of hardcore within me too because I like winning and I like challenges. But I also like to win based on skill, strategy and tactics. A win is a win, true. But I feel more satisfied when I earn victory through strategy and skill rather than through cheap combos or a lucky ring-out.

For instance, I'm using Seong Mina in SCIV and I'm facing Taki, I'll play defensively by GI'ing, Side-stepping and other tactics to minimize Taki's superior speed and close-quarter advantage. Then I'll take advantage of openings as well as her lack of ranged attacks to win round 1. When round 2 opens up, I'll get more aggressive with close together mid and close range attacks while GI'ing any attempt to build counter-momentum. If I lose round 2, then I'll learn from that and stay more in the mid-range of attacks. As much as I try to avoid ring-outs because I don't count them as much of a victory as compared to a KO, I'll keep the door open and throw off Taki since she'll be wary of that possibility when I try to inch her towards the edge of the ring and that may cause her to do something stupid, which I'll take advantage of and use that opening to gain a well-earned victory. If I lose round 3? Oh well! Live, learn and try a better strategy next time.

In SCV, let's say that I'm using Leixia against Natsu and I win round 1 through offensive maneuvering then awesome! Let's change things up and try to be a bit more defensive so that I'm less predictable in round 2. But wait! Natsu completely owns me because defense is completely worthless in SCV. Then we go into round 3, despite my best attempts, Natsu manages to curbstomp me with a combined Brave Edge and Critical Edge blitzkrieg that I had no chance of countering because again, defense is worthless in SCV.

It's so heavily geared towards aggressive gameplay and it's defensive aspects have become harder to implement to where I can no longer thrive as I did in previous games. This game is projecting the soul of another series and it just plainly doesn't belong here. Hell! Even other aggressive fighting games like DOA5, Injustice and MK9 aren't so needlessly complicated and they're better fighting games for it. And believe me, I tried to adapt, but it was the equivalent of pushing a 5 ton wall up a steep hill and I just didn't see how it was worth it.

Couple this needless change to gameplay with bare-bones offline content, a terrible story mode and a lazily cobbled together story and I just have no reason to keep playing that false-soul calibur game. I won't act like previous Soul Calibur games were perfect either (Occasional abuse of Soul Charge in SC and SCII, VC in SCIII, and a tad-bit slow pace to SCIV's movement), but they were way more fun and identifiable as part of the Soul Series despite each game's unique features and offerings.

SCV is a soul series game that desperately wants to be Tekken or Street Fighter and it clearly shows.

To Lost Sword's credit, at least the Guard Impact isn't attached to a meter and seems to have returned to it's classic form. Which means that even if the aggressive tone remains in future SC games, at least the defensive aspects won't be worthless or weakened which should bring back more interesting and skill-involved gameplay and duels.

But since I just voiced an unpopular opinion (at least on this site), I can already see an elitist preparing to "put me in my place", so just get it out of your system and then we can get back on topic.

That's a shame because SCV has the best gameplay out of any of the Soul Caliburs... and JGing is worthless?... I'm not even going to get into that topic. GIing was actually worthless due to 2G

See, this is what I mean, PS had a good thing going with SCV and they should keep it up, even being unfinished it's leagues past what the previous SCs have done. But then certain people come up asking for them to cater to their nostalgia or "weapon master" which had about one hour of replay value. Let's face it, majority of the previous SCs have been awful, SCIV was decent I guess, SC1 was alright for the starter of the franchise (yes I know soul blade exists), SC2 was hot, steamy garbage and never deserved an HD remake, I never played SCIII so I can't give an opinion on that, but it looks just like SCII, which is not a good thing at all.

That's a shame because SCV has the best gameplay out of any of the Soul Caliburs... and JGing is worthless?... I'm not even going to get into that topic. GIing was actually worthless due to 2G

See, this is what I mean, PS had a good thing going with SCV and they should keep it up, even being unfinished it's leagues past what the previous SCs have done. But then certain people come up asking for them to cater to their nostalgia or "weapon master" which had about one hour of replay value. Let's face it, majority of the previous SCs have been awful, SCIV was decent I guess, SC1 was alright for the starter of the franchise (yes I know soul blade exists), SC2 was hot, steamy garbage and never deserved an HD remake, I never played SCIII so I can't give an opinion on that, but it looks just like SCII, which is not a good thing at all.
url-17.gif

Back