Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Astaroth

So... Astaroth's 214AAAA... Am I missing something or is there nothing you can do about that move?
It's impossible to know exactly how many hits he's going to do without just guessing, so it's hard for any character to punish. Really annoying move. 4A+B might have some use here, although if it's mistimed you eat 90 damage.

Even so, you really only get 6KK I think. Not enough to discourage him from spamming it, imo. And it damages the gauge really well too. I'm willing to bet JG only does 1 hit at a time.

Yeah, you have to manually just guard all the hits. I've managed to JG 214AAAAA in a match before but it's definitely not reliable.
On the plus side, it's a difficult hit confirm to get just the first hit, so if they go for that a lot you can AA/CE punish it.

I just can't believe that move hurts guard so much. It's like he doesn't need it to hit. And it looks like he can move backwards on the last spin(s) to get away from stuff, too.

When was the last time this match was examined? I'm curious as to what notable differences are in effect since the last patch was implemented.

The last patch was like in may 2012. Most of everything listed still applies. 1B+K still works, 6A+B still works, frame traps in close after 2K on hit and 4K/4A/WS K on block still works. I use JG a bit more now to discourage his 3A+B and Bullrush up close, but otherwise it's the same matchup

So if I went back and just followed posts dating to around that time to now then it should be fine, right? Also, how would I apply 6A+B? Just as a mid-range whiff punish, or an active poking tool? What can I use as a frame trap from 2K on hit? And lastly, patient do I have to play against a very turtle-y Astaroth?

The last time I played one it turned into a big shouting match on stream (I can link to the video if needed) and I ended up losing due to being unable to close the set despite having ample meter and opportunities.

So if I went back and just followed posts dating to around that time to now then it should be fine, right? Also, how would I apply 6A+B? Just as a mid-range whiff punish, or an active poking tool? What can I use as a frame trap from 2K on hit? And lastly, patient do I have to play against a very turtle-y Astaroth?

The last time I played one it turned into a big shouting match on stream (I can link to the video if needed) and I ended up losing due to being unable to close the set despite having ample meter and opportunities.

Use 6A+B as a tech crouch combined with an optimal pushback. Astaroth cannot punish it, and it almost always pushes him out of range to grab you. I typically use it as a mid-range poke.

After 2K on hit, you have a few options. FC2A is your fastest option here. It will interrupt almost everything he does, and give you a big frame advantage to mix up with. If he does start beating you 2K, you've got WR B BE and WR A to counter him.
If he blocks after 2K on hit, use WR K or 4A to set up another -2 frame trap while tech crouching and throw attempts or highs.

Asta takes some patience to beat. At long range, you should patiently step in/block a lot. If he starts abusing his stupid guard crushes, use GI or JG at long range. If he tries it at mid range, make good use of 6B to interrupt and go for a mixup.

Also, 6A+B beats armor bullrush when used at advantage. As does 6KK, BB, A+B which is safe in this matchup.
And remember that Asta doesn't really hit too hard after JGing your moves since he needs CH. So generally it just gives him a Throw/low damage mid mixup

Oh y
Also, 6A+B beats armor bullrush when used at advantage. As does 6KK, BB, A+B which is safe in this matchup.
And remember that Asta doesn't really hit too hard after JGing your moves since he needs CH. So generally it just gives him a Throw/low damage mid mixup

Oh yeah, I forgot that 6A+B beats super armor. It beats nightmare's A+B as well.

Just don't overdo 6A+B, because of Asta's 22B. But of course it's quite useful, because of your reasons.

So having changed my outlook on this matchup a bit, I found it useful that if Astaroth steps the 2nd hit of 66BB, his 22B is still too slow to punish her whiff. Step~6G is also useful to deal with Astas who try to hit you with 3A+B. That move is not nearly as bad without the CH damage.

This matchup is kinda super easy. Don't be afraid to rush in and press buttons all day, everyday. See how they react, but they can't do much about it.

This matchup is kinda super easy. Don't be afraid to rush in and press buttons all day, everyday. See how they react, but they can't do much about it.

Super easy? lol, well you must be a mind reader then....
It's not a major problem, but I mean, CH damage still exists. JG still exists (nothing guaranteed but gets a free mixup).
He can still space for a bit and then, when you get in, grab/crouch grab you, since you're constantly guessing in his face.
66BB helps a lot since it already beats armor bullrush. But having to be that close to him is still chancing losing a lot of health quickly.

Can't say you're wrong. I can play Aneudee or something next time I'm in Philly and show you how it's done. Or maybe I will end up confirming that I'm wrong, who knows?

Edit : Technically, I still think it's about 5/5 cause Astaroth damage/Leixia's pressure, but Astaroth should have trouble getting his game going.

lol, well I'm just being objective about it, rather than banking on my ability to guess right every time. But hey, if you have some set of moves in mind that I don't, and they work better, I'll gladly adopt that approach.

Quite a few players think I'm playing her wrong anyway, so what can it hurt?

I can see where Asta has trouble getting situated, though and an argument for 5/5 can be made.

Back