Matchup Discussion Thread

^ I second that. I play a Nightmare very frequently and I hardly ever have any problems with him. This may be a little hyperbolic but imo it's one of, if not the best of Aeon's matchups.

you didn't list xiba. i'd like to hear your thoughts on that one anyways since i gotta play ryujin at a tournament this weekend

You are right and I am sorry. Well, Xiba I have no problems with. JG the meterless turn kick after 6B and 6A and Aeon gets a free BT B+K. They play kind of the same range and game (whiff punish, mid range, high guard damage) but Xiba's a hell of a lot more reliant on it (3BK) and conversely, more unsafe (he has to commit to the K, duck and get WS B... that's HUUGE for Aeon), has a worse throw game, and outside of some silly stuff like being able to punish SW K (and in general, 4b TCing for no reason... whhhy) aeon's assortment of evasive tools (4b+k, 9b), better mixup and compareable mid range tools allow him to do fairly well. aeon also has a number of silly ways to beat/trade xiba ce, like, 1B BE at point blank range on wakeup.

check out the aufo vids of me playing versus agustine and dsb for a more visual notebook.

Detailed matchups like this are actually very infomative and quite fun to do. When the person knows what he's talking about, that is.

(Like us)

floe was at ufo and I beat his nightmare so hard he started playing AE 2012.

I'm ready to agree that matchup is at least 6-4 in aeon's favor, if not better.

I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THIS THREAD THNX GUYS

I just got bodied by like four really good ZWEIs in a row lol. Does anyone have any good matchup stuff for him? I can't fight that character to save my life, I just get murdered by his frame traps and pressure.

I just got bodied by like four really good ZWEIs in a row lol. Does anyone have any good matchup stuff for him? I can't fight that character to save my life, I just get murdered by his frame traps and pressure.

critical things you HAVE to know to fight zwei-
you have to know the startup animations of 4A (vertical followup) and 4B (high followup, K ender)
duck 2nd hit of 66ba, free ws b
duck 2nd hit of 3AA, free ws b
step between 66a+b
recognize B+K BE setups, block accordingly to deal with wolf trap
break a+g for damage, b+g for oki
learn low animations (1a, 11k, 44a) and punishes
learn punishes (3b, a+b, 22bb, 66b+k panic button)
get comfortable with jg...

ZWEI can steam roll you (i should know... the only tournament that wasn't won by myself/augustine at ufo was andrew's zwei) if you don't know his stuff. he becomes pretty ineffective once you do- he's all momentum. his only real defensive measures are the pushout on his longer wolf traps, and 66b+k, which is maaad unsafe. 66b+k is basically his shoryu.

I had the good fortune of running into Oofmatic four times in Ranked yesterday. 8B is an incredibly effective counter to any poker bluff shenanigans.

After 11KK on hit, 8B will beat all PB options.

After 1(K) on block, step will avoid FP B and you can punish with 66B for 35 damage.

After 66B on block, Aeon's 66B punishes both PB options, and gets a full launch against PB B for ~70 damage. After 66B on hit, wakeup into low guard and punish PB K with WR B.

A+B into poker bluff can be punished with 6(K) for 60+ damage.

22KK can be punished with 66B ~ SW K. This beats both possible results (roll and dolphin dive).

11B is 3B punishable on block.

1A is WR AB/66K punishable.

3BB can be stepped to Damp's right. JGing the 2nd hit allows for a 3B punish.

Against 3AAAAAAA you can just backstep out and launch him. If you're in a corner and can't backstep, JG one of the hits. The next hit can be interrupted with i18 or faster. 3B will trade and you still get 66K/CE followup, unless the hit it trades with goes into fake pain, in which case you fall down. 1B BE and 66K are the safest options after JGing one of the hits.

Don't try to throw after 623B on block. B!E! will beat it out due to TJ and you will die. Learned this the hard way, lol.
33B BE is 3B punishable unless it's the GB version.

For 33BK on block, the mid kick can be stepped. The low can be blocked and WR B will launch punish.

If he does B!E!, you can duck all the hits after the first one. WR B will TC enough to beat the other hits, but annoying enough it completely whiffs (goes right through him, lol). 66K will also whiff (he goes over it instead of through it, at least). Stepping the 2nd+ hits seems to be the best way of punishing it. iWR K will punish both 623KKKKK (etc) and 623K into guard.

2A+B recovers crouching and can't be punished with WR AB. 66K punish.

8B+K is -14. FC A or CE punish.

44BKBK can't be stepped on the 2nd hit. 3rd hit can be stepped. Best punish seems to be backthrow, as 3B can whiff because he keeps on going forwards.

44AB step second hit, launch.

66K on block allows a 66B or 9B punish. 9B seems to be preferable, as it beats all PB options and beats an attempt to guard or roll. Against PB B it knocks down as though it hit him standing. Mixup between 44K (dead trap) and 3A/3K (tech trap).

Dampierre also can't punish 3B at all at tip range, and 66A shuts down his TC launchers like 11B, 33B BE, and 623B. He also has trouble punishing 22AB. I'm inclined to say this is 6-4, possibly 7-3.

So any advice for the Aeon v. Raph matchup? I went from theoretically thinking this was a bad matchup to, after a recent offline session, knowing it was a awful matchup. Raph 3B shuts down your mid range options hard core, you can't do anything other then guess step 22A (and Raph anti-step isn't tremendously bad like it is in other games... good 2A, great 66A and 22a.. all highs, though). Raph can punish 66A with his 6BB, he can CE between 66B > SW K, he can FC 3B at all distances vs. all 8B+K options post block... honestly this matchup is really similar to the Ivy matchup except it feels like Raph owns you harder at your own range then she does (but, conversely, he has not the runaway tools she has).

I dunno. I haven't labbed this matchup like I should yet.

I dunno. I haven't labbed this matchup like I should yet.

A lot of people tend to underestimate Raph 'till they meet a good one cause, on paper, he's bad.
On paper that is.

And yes he handles Aeon pretty well if he knows the matchup. But tell me, it must have been one hell of a Raph if he really did all what you've mentionned above.

CNP picked him a while ago and I've handled him pretty okay in the past, but it really felt like his raph leveled the hell up last gathering. Austin barely plays anymore and I know CNP loves himself some SC, so it's probably just that he's still playing it like a religion and I, uh, haven't. He started playing Aeon too, so he probably knows how to fight the character now too a lot better then he did before.

[quote="crow_winters, post: 542134, member: 1090" About Raph[/quote]

Use 66K against Preparation. I'll give you an analysis soon enough.

1B+K goes under wakeup Pyrrha or Maxi CEs (and probably other ones too).

Good to keep in mind next time you're fighting scrubs.

How do you guys feel towards the Ezio/Aeon match up?
Probably 6-4 Aeon.

Eizo's punishment is bad-bad and he has nothing that outright discourges Aeon 3B/66A until he at least has meter or guess-steps vs. 3B. Eizo's lack of a i14 move, his lack of safety, worse throw game, inability to punish 1A/11B and his susceptibility to Aeon 66A makes it tough. I don't see arrows being useful since Aeon has little that he wants to do outside of 66A ranage. (although, i think it probably punishes SW K) Eizo needs to make 66A whiff or JG it then punish, or be right ontop of him whoreing out 2K/mid/throw/step pressure (and hopefully also wearing down guard- Eizo needs a burst in this MU.) CH 3B fishing is risky because Aeon will also fish for CH 4B, and the FC 3B forces on block isn't nessicarily great versus Aeon, who still has access to 4B/2B/4B+K/decently ranged 2k. Anywhere inbetween is dominated by Aeon and anywhere further out does nothing for either player. Eizo 2K is also not great as it normally is here because there's lots of important aeon stuff that hits it. (2B, 9B, 8b+k, 4b+k? does 3b? i actually don't know on those last two)

Brief brain thoughts. I'd have to go home and verify some other things.

Ezio can CE punish 3B provided he has the meter. Of course, he has to work to get that meter, but hey, can't have everything.

Also a fun little find, if you GI SW K as Ezio, 6K2 combos with the GI fall damage for 71 damage.

Back