Maxi General Discussion

It's actually not as bad as it seems. B+K's whiffs are avoidable once you understand a bit about them. From the front of every character B+KBBBA is guaranteed as long as you're inside tip range.

Though I wouldn't suggest punishing with it after step unless you've done some homework.

This isn't really importent: Music&Maxi

Just for some other responces, being as I tend to play my Maxi off some random internal beat(i'd use the r-word but I can't spell) I get better when listening to certain times of music. Normally something with a smooth baseline, or a not uber fast techno. Anyone else like this? Of course not just with my genres I mean at all. Maybe its I just end up keeping up a better offence, or I just get in "the mood"? This happen to any of you? Feel free to list your music if you want. Mine are

The Kids- Hollywood Undead(Instrumental)
E.S. Posthumus' faster songs.
Baby Got A Temper- The Prodigy
Fasten Your Seat Belts, Blood Sugar, and Tarantula- Pendulum
Random Anime OTS

And While I'm at it, which songs do you think embody Maxi? Beats he fits while fighting, lyrics that remind you of him, anything you can throw up! =D

i tend to listen to music in general as i play,

anything from old stuff like the beatles and hendrix, to newer stuff metallica, maiden, and then just other random stuff, my internal rythem is just like a clock so i can work out my move times more exactly but my external music is absolutly anything

Beatlink on the Ship (From Streets of Rage) Pretty much sets the pace for Maxi.

Aside from that, my playlist's pretty much AC/DC, Rolling Stones, and some odd stuff from Walk Hard, Berserk, etc.

i think funky music is well suitable to maxi's style.

ok i was looking at the frame data and i saw maxis BL K is -16 on hit

which makes me wonder should i take my chances with BK KK?

BL KK does suck on block, so you don't want the opponent to see it coming. There are some ways to do that...

50/50...
Everyone can see BL KK coming whenever you use 3B,A or 6A,A.
The basic simpleton way to avoid this is to use BL A, or RO AK.
After that, it works okay, it should become a 50/50 for the whole game.

If you used BL A and really want your BL KK, you can follow with LI AA, BL KK.
If the opponent is the kind who is successful thanks to lots of bullshit, and thus is knowledgeable about typical bullshit, you can instead opt for:
BL A, LI AA, BL A, LI AA, BL KK. (6A,A,A,AA,A,AA,KK. So much skill.)

Loops.
You can vary your strings to incorporate or remove BL KK. Some examples that I use frequently and some that I've found just now...
4B,PSL3,RO A, BL KK. (Most good players don't seem to recognize RO A... Only 6A,A and 3B,A.)
3B,RO A,PSL3,LO BK. (Obvious but...replaces one dangerous attack with another.)
a+bG,PSL3,NS,BL KK. (Natural shift, if they're scared of a+bG,A.)
If you think it's wiser, you can bait for a combo with:
a+bG,PSL3,LI K.

Loops are sweet.

Sorry everyone, but Maxi's terrible. I haven't lost to a Maxi player in ages. I can't even remember when. Too easy to avoid, too routine, no reach. He can't close the gap like Taki, Talim, Apprentice and other fast characters that can just jump or roll over to you at will. And his moves have been the same since SC1. Yep, bottom feeder, gum on shoe, toilet bowl residue, steaming dung on the grass, shower glass stain character.

Sorry everyone, but Maxi's terrible. I haven't lost to a Maxi player in ages. I can't even remember when. Too easy to avoid, too routine, no reach. He can't close the gap like Taki, Talim, Apprentice and other fast characters that can just jump or roll over to you at will. And his moves have been the same since SC1. Yep, bottom feeder, gum on shoe, toilet bowl residue, steaming dung on the grass, shower glass stain character.
I remember beating you fairly easily.

show how much you know he was god tier in SC1

high tier in SC2

and the the only person with a good match up on asta in SC3

and you must be playing scrubs =/

show how much you know he was god tier in SC1

high tier in SC2

and the the only person with a good match up on asta in SC3

and you must be playing scrubs =/

Agreed, he was top tier in SC1. He was much faster. Not anymore. Plus, we weren't as familiar with him as we are now 3 entries later.

Familiarity hardly makes a difference at high level of play i think. I do agree he has been in lower tiers since SC1, not that it makes a difference right about now. This SC4 incarnation is by far the most exciting and fun....and manly.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm really, really starting to love his 99_33A. It's a high i20, 20 damage, -5b KND on H and CH. So what's so awesome? It's probably his best advancing move. Oh yeah, and it rings out from the front on normal hit. Which is totally awesome since Maxi doesn't have alot of easy RO moves to RO from the front on NH. You really have to play with it a bit to get a feel for the range, but its really great once you get the distance down. I wish it covered a little more range, but oh well. On NH/CH you get the A+Bg followup super easy, so the damage is better. It's only -5 on block, so you can really step well after this move or GI, depending on how you've trained your opponent. It covers step really really well. And you can initiate from step, which is good, because step is one of the few things Maxi excells at.
If you're wondering why i'm so excited, its because I've been looking for moves to help maxi move in for the longest time. 66K is good, but its really linear. 66A is like death if the opponent knows to duck the 2nd hit. 66B+K is REALLY slow, so you'll get hit out of it alot. And if you do it on wakeup its really easy to step. 33B is really linear as well. So now you can either:
99A, 99K, 4B->LO B-> RC A, 33bA -> RC A
to really move in quickly on your opponent in a relatively safe manner. I think 4B-> LO K is useful once in a while as well.

33A is definately one of his best moves. Even better, it combos with A+Bg for extra damage and RC mixups on wake

Can someone please explain practically in what way Maxi's step is really good compared to other characters? I have yet to incorporate stepping effectively in my play so I would very much appreciate an explanation of this?

different characters can step at different speeds. Maxi has one of the better steps (Hilde has the best). In situations where you are at minor disadvantage or even minor advantage, sometimes you should try stepping. If the opponent does a vertical attack and you get around it, you can take a free punisher like B+K series. Maxi's good step makes it easier to get around attacks.

Back