Maxi General Q&A

I don't like 66B+K as much in this game. Mainly because of the range. It's almost exactly the same as 4B range, but much slower.

It's great for ROs and in a few oki situations, but in the open or for catching backstep it lacks both reach and speed. 66B is FAR better against back step and as a ranged interrupt. If you want to throw out a damaging safe-ish vertical 33B seems the better option.

Still, I haven't even tested it's TC frames yet (I'll try to go through simaltaneous press and 8WR in the wiki this weekend), and it seems to have a much better TC this time around. It should have a solid place in Maxi's crush game at least. I'm open to changing my mind about it.

(Wow, why did I write so much about a simple move?)

I don't like 66B+K as much in this game. Mainly because of the range. It's almost exactly the same as 4B range, but much slower.

Still, I haven't even tested it's TC frames yet (I'll try to go through simaltaneous press and 8WR in the wiki this weekend), and it seems to have a much better TC this time around. It should have a solid place in Maxi's crush game at least. I'm open to changing my mind about it.

(Wow, why did I write so much about a simple move?)
i dont know man it actually seems really safe on block not even AA or BB punishable. right now im testing it out and if you do it at tip range you can backstep out. so im starting to try to get tip range all the time and set up for 44A and surprisingly it works wonders.(at least against Pyrrha's 236B XD)

It's -10 which is essentially safe. Only a few moves in the game can punish it, and even that is spacing dependent. As for stepping out, it sounds risky as hell, but I'll mess with that and see what you mean.

Still the problem is that I don't see many places where 66B+K fits. I mean you could use it after something like 2A on hit. It would catch backstep, probably catch step to Maxi's right, and work in some good guard damage on block. Maxi also has 4B there though, which would stop all movement, all interrupts, and leaves options on block.

And I've already went on about it's shortcomings at range, where you'd assume it would work.

How do I deal with Cervantes and his aB interrupting EVERYTHING I do?
aGI seemed like a good answer to that at first, but it comes out way too slow (or maybe that's because online's latency, I kind of don't know how to test this in training).

How do I deal with Cervantes and his aB interrupting EVERYTHING I do?
aGI seemed like a good answer to that at first, but it comes out way too slow (or maybe that's because online's latency, I kind of don't know how to test this in training).

Cervantes aB interupts anything from Maxi's 1B. So one way to deal with this is to bait them. Do 1B, cancel it, then punish with BE 6A+B on block.

As SU and I were wrapping up an online session he said something that I want to talk about. It was essentially "Maxi, at the highest level, can not compete because of the price he pays for his mistakes." I don't agree, it's exaggerated, but I can't dismiss it either.

Maxi needs to take more risk in offense, on his interrupts, and particularly in space control than most characters and his damage has been average since the patch. He can compete simply due to have all the tools to counter any situation and having damage enough to make those guesses count. Still, when I follow the logic I see opponents having easier guesses because of Maxi's inherent risk on many of his key moves and breaking the logic by using those tools regardless creates a situation where you have bad odds.

Anyway, talk some sense into me, or let's have a group cry or something.

Lol I disagree with whatever SU said....its true maxi will have it rough with the top 10 since erm...there tools are better and some are bullshit. I may not be a maxi main and I feel maxi is the best of the upper mid (call me crazy) but he simply just has to work harder, and at the highest level HE can win. Everyone would simply be more at ease if the absurd damage that some chars do got toned down.....

Maxi Can Compete on a High Level but you can't dismiss the dmg he takes for Fucking up.

Maxi needs to take more risk in offense, on his interrupts, and particularly in space control than most characters and his damage has been average since the patch. He can compete simply due to have all the tools to counter any situation and having damage enough to make those guesses count. Still, when I follow the logic I see opponents having easier guesses because of Maxi's inherent risk on many of his key moves and breaking the logic by using those tools regardless creates a situation where you have bad odds.

Anyway, talk some sense into me, or let's have a group cry or something.
The way I've looked at is that he has damage, but retains many of the same flaws that SC IV Maxi had. He's better positioned for the guessing game (doesn't seem to be running 33% in his favor like in IV at least) but he's still running with a lotta gaps.

Idk Maxi seems very versatile.

He has the range on moves like 66K, 66B, 33B and 66B+K. His damage is respectable. Block punishment is decent. Whiff punishing with 44B and 11B is amazing. His backstep is really good. Decent throw damage. 6A+B and WsB+K are forces to be reckoned with on there own. His Ring out game is nasty especially since I noticed LI A BE sends the enemy further away than the regular version.

The only thing I don't think he excels at is oki but having to guess between 11A and 11B is okay I guess. I mostly do 1K until they get up.

Baiting unsafe TC moves takes him a long way. Even more if you can JG a move where 44B is a JG punish (like Asteroth 6K) but 6A+B BE is just as effective. His tech trap game is also nasty and idk if that's common knowledge but I use it too my advantage and it works out well.

IMO he is damn good and shouldn't be written off so easily.

I dont really think maxi is all that unsafe. His main issue is his lack of range. This is a problem against some characters, but you can work around that. I think he definitely has some bad matchups, but none are that lopsided. I think he's definitely underrated. You know SU actually wanted to switch to Maxi against Decopon at EVO, but he gave into the crowd and repicked pyrrha

If 3B and B+K are both i21 why can't I punish some attacks post JG with 3B but B+KBBBA works just fine?

what are some good ways to bait a CH so that his aGI hits? so far i usually use it after a whiffed/blocked attack of any kind. it catches a surprising amount of people, but not enough to make me rely on it to use under pressure.

what are some good ways to bait a CH so that his aGI hits? so far i usually use it after a whiffed/blocked attack of any kind. it catches a surprising amount of people, but not enough to make me rely on it to use under pressure.

Maxi's aGI is basically only useful as a last resort or to limit punishment. You shouldn't be going out of your way to land it.

It's like:​
Safe stance entrance - Will they interrupt? If so counter. If not then mix up or whatever​
Unsafe stance entrance - Will they punish correctly? If so then eat it. If not use the aGI or evade/interrupt.​

If 3B and B+K are both i21 why can't I punish some attacks post JG with 3B but B+KBBBA works just fine?

Because they are not both i21. B+K is i20

Regardless, he claims to be pretty much done with him now.
Yeah, will i never really thought maxi fit his play style to begin with. He relies on great spacing and defense to win, Maxi doesn't really have the tools for that. His spacing game is pretty terrible. If you can use b+k JF, his whiff punishing becomes a bit better, but its still not his strong point.

And Reave, B+k is one frame faster than 3b. 3b is pretty much worse than b+k in all ways. Slower, less range, less damage, easier to punish hard. All 3b had going for it is the TC and an unreliable ability to hit grounded.

Back