Maxi Match-up Discussion

To add to Kvasir, if he doesn't mind, WR A leaves the opponent usually in a position for Maxis' side throw the one with the K BE follow-up, if the opponent lets me....I'll spam that and B+K: B: B: B: A all day. Also thx to Fhwoarang(spelling??), 6A, RO A will leave the opponent in the same position for the side throw for the K BE follow-up I just stop short of the K and throw. However it isn't as effective as WR A, I really did not appreciate WR A until the throw follow up normally I'd do WRB but WR A is just as awesome without the high recovery frames.

If Nightmare spaces a lot, Maxi has some pretty good moves that have deceptively large range (11_77B, 22_88B) that are great wiff punishers, especially 22B if you manage to predict a agA. Other than that just learn some rush-down moves, and don't run in recklessly. Remember that 4BB has really good range if Nightmare tries to back away from you. There's a reason Maxi says "Going somewhere!?" when he does the K after that.

The WR A to throw scenerio is very easily escapable with duck. One of favorite gimmicks to play. But i use it very sparingly cause its easy to get punished for.

The WR A to throw scenerio is very easily escapable with duck. One of favorite gimmicks to play. But i use it very sparingly cause its easy to get punished for.

But if they duck you can hit them with mid. WS A is a 50/50 on hit. I still don't use it much because i'm too busy whoreing out WS B+K

Does CH 6A.A Side throw still work? Have been trying in training mode and they stop spinning when I grab does not do a side throw.

But if they duck you can hit them with mid. WS A is a 50/50 on hit. I still don't use it much because i'm too busy whoreing out WS B+K

He ain't fuckin lying. When he gets up, WS B+K. If he's at disadvantage, WS B+K. After holding guard for longer than a second, either 6A+B or WS B+K. Uber1337 in a nutshell.

You guys may have already covered this but any of you guys have tips on Mitsurugi? I always seem to eat that 4B

Yeah thats been covered. Start at page 1 and start reading. Its in the first 2 or 3 pages.

In a nut shell 66B his ass when you anticipate a 4B coming. Or use some other move with range to it. 22_88B, 66K things like that.

You guys may have already covered this but any of you guys have tips on Mitsurugi? I always seem to eat that 4B

I still hate this move. The real pain is that you can't just 22B when you know it's coming because it tracks unbelievably well. You have to be patient and wait until the last second to step it. That's really my best advice. I've never really found Mitsu's to be unpredictable with that move, so just watch for it, step, and punish. It's a shame 4B isn't long enough to reach them :/

Mitsu's 4B to me only seems to be a major problem when you rely on 4B... as your primary punisher.

6A ro AK does contain it fairly well in comparison.

6A still gets beat by 4B unless he's right in your face. The problem is that you have to either use a slower move to catch him and hope you don't get poked out, or use a fast move and hope he doesn't space you out. I found a bit of success using 11_77B against 4B happy Mitsus.

Mitsu 4B is the least of your worries. It's a great move yes, but he can do naked backstep and perform harder hitting whiff punishes for a shitload of damage or a ring out if you're near an edge. Mitsu and Asta are my harder matchups so far. I haven't even played all the matchups to say they're the absolute hardest but so far, those 2 are the worst. Mitsu because he can backstep and hurt you a lot, and Asta because he can break your guard without even trying.
You found any tools of mention for the Asta issue?

If you anticipate Mitsu's 4B wait till you see it then step punish. By the time you react the portion of the move that tracks will have passed. This way you can punish it with 6A+B, 4A+B, B+K or whatever while taking no risk (Aside from risking him running a train on you with 6Bs while you don't enforce frames, fucking Mitsu, man).

You found any tools of mention for the Asta issue?

A big part of dealing with Asta is being able to jG his slow stuff. Other than that, you just gotta watch your spacing. move in and block, or space out his long range moves and punish with 66b. Maxi has a few things going against Asta that he wouldn't normally get. Asta can't get out of combos involving 6a+b psl2 BL K BE, so feel free to throw those out if you have the chance.

Uber:
I don't feel "just jG" is a viable solution despite how clearly rewarding it is vs Asta. I can't really detail my feelings there.

I can add some bits I've found.
1. If you provoke armor from 66K BE with 2A you can block before getting hit. This will surprise Asta's using it to stop Maxi's poking.
1a. Maxi can step between 66K BE and land 22KK combo on Asta's back (slightly better solution than jG).
2. 6A+B will stop throws. This is a rare exception as most TCs don't.
3. CH 6A->RO, RO A gets side throw attempt on Asta.
4. Due to speed, Maxi can be at about -2 and still be considered at advantage.

6A+B is Astaroth's anti. As Uber mentioned, JG and punish with 66B- and stop Astaroth's backwalk with 66B. Take note of 66K:BE use. Hurt's Maxi more so than a lot of his other matches. Other than that, the match is pretty straightforward. 6A+B in yomi of grabs, or 4A. And hard rushdown/lockdown.

It's important to remember that even though 6A+B is awesome in the match-up, Maxi has to be careful with the BE. Since the BE does less damage it loses to 66K*s armor and Maxi can't respond from LI.

Take note of 66K:BE use. Hurt's Maxi more so than a lot of his other matches.

Confusing. It's actually pretty hard to fall into since Maxi isn't reliant on any weak multi hit mids. Except 4B, but that move has secretly been bad for years anyway, and is generally unnecessary in SC5.

EDIT: Wait-a-minute. I just tested and even 4B rapes 66K*. Free CH combo off LO B. The move should almost never be launching Maxi.

Kva:
If you're transitioning to or from pokes you will be using A, 2A, 1K, etc to initial or link. Those are the points they will want to use their armor. 4B is i17 so you'd need to be around +4 to apply it without any worry. Not a viable poke so Asta will likely not be trying armor against it.

Xeph:
I am not denying the effectiveness of jG. I question its viability as a solution and seek other means.

Kva:
If you're transitioning to or from pokes you will be using A, 2A, 1K, etc to initial or link. Those are the points they will want to use their armor. 4B is i17 so you'd need to be around +4 to apply it without any worry. Not a viable poke so Asta will likely not be trying armor against it.

Xeph:
I am not denying the effectiveness of jG. I question its viability as a solution and seek other means.
Honestly, I wasn't directing anything towards your post. In this case, I was posting as you were. But yeah, I agree. JGing is effective, but other routes towards anti is a necessity.

Back