Maxi Match-up Discussion

If he goes through a poke you can block/GI/JG the second hit. Even on pretty negative things like 1B. Asta gets nothing from that.

Xeph:
I saw your play from a while back, more or less the ideal way Asta should face Maxi (though I've yet to see you versus a Maxi). What struggles do you face from that side?

Xeph:
I saw your play from a while back, more or less the ideal way Asta should face Maxi (though I've yet to see you versus a Maxi). What struggles do you face from that side?
I don't have any particular problems against Maxi. Personal obstacles is me reacting to 2A+B consistently, as well as FC 3A-. Other than that, I treat it as any other match. I've figured that playing keep out VS him, and staying out of his stancing benefits a lot- and playing Krayzie whenever I'm in Cali, we've discussed the match up. Aside from 66B, It's hard for Maxi to get in a start an offense. While Maxi's getting in, I aim to kill stepping along side breaking his guard. And relying on 66B can be risky.

However, once Maxi's in- running an offense with 1B/44B and 6A+B can be hard to deal with. Best option is to poke and retreat. or mix ups Maxi in your grab game.

I don't have any particular problems against Maxi. Personal obstacles is me reacting to 2A+B consistently, as well as FC 3A-. Other than that, I treat it as any other match. I've figured that playing keep out VS him, and staying out of his stancing benefits a lot- and playing Krayzie whenever I'm in Cali, we've discussed the match up. Aside from 66B, It's hard for Maxi to get in a start an offense. While Maxi's getting in, I aim to kill stepping along side breaking his guard. And relying on 66B can be risky.

However, once Maxi's in- running an offense with 1B/44B and 6A+B can be hard to deal with. Best option is to poke and retreat. or mix ups Maxi in your grab game.
So your findings mirror mine. With the way SCV's movement is, this match up seems to favor Asta. jG is a two way street so it is hard to point at it like a match-up level solution. Need broader tools.

So your findings mirror mine. With the way SCV's movement is, this match up seems to favor Asta. jG is a two way street so it is hard to point at it like a match-up level solution. Need broader tools.
Yeah, it seems like Maxi lacks a step-kill that will lunge him forward. Whilst Astaroth can just stand 3feet away, and run backdash/step killers. JGing is a two way street- in most cases, players won't know what to JG/ or haven't practiced the moves to learn to JG.

It's still a viable option, however. Learning to JG 22_88B/44(A)/4(B)/66(K) can make the match up a lot easier. This is directed to the entire cast, though.

Ok guys since I play both of these chars alot and let alone fight them alot....time for some anti zwei in case some of u guys have trouble against zwei or don't know the matchup. So here I go and I hope this helps.

His A+B is -16 on block so the maxi player should always punish with 6A+b and the BE version works too ouch...
4(A) is a gimmick if he tries the unblockable setup with 214 B if so then..either attack him quickly or just sidestep and hit him. 4A on the other hand is +8 on block you can sidestep it and attack zwei as soon as the ein attack comes out but zwei isn't really all that vulnerable so you have to hit him fast as soon as you sidestep Ein.( if u are hit with ein from 4A then 66BA is guaranteed from him into an Oki setup from him ouch) 66BA the A is a high so duck and punish.

Overall remember all Ein attacks are + on block so never really attempt to re attack zwei after blocking an attack from Ein. Oh yeah forgot can someone test this out? I think maxi's 22_88A and 22B avoids zwei's 4A attack completely....im not sure :/ furthermore....1(B) is a seeable move that you can duck under the ein attack and punish him with 6A+B or duck and do wsB+K from crouch. If somehow you block the K part in this string and zwei ends it with ein he is at advantage so don't let go of guard afterwards. 3AA the first one is -17 on block the other is -3 but the 2nd A is a high, so maxi should always go for 6A+b if he is able to react to it.

Finally on to B+K BE....you can do a quick 2a if zwei does this on standing to interrupt him as ein won't come out. Now on oki is where this move is most dangerous...after lets say ur hit with 66BA then zwei does B+K BE 1K becomes a force block from him and if u try to roll well ur getting hit for over 50+ damage :/ on oki a backroll beats out all B+K BE setups unless he guesses right and move's forward on your backroll. If u don't roll then it's a guessing game between 1k or 214b from him. Overall I prefer maxi in this matchup simply because its harder for zwei to get maxi off of him, as oppose to zwei getting maxi. Zwei needs constant meter to maintain a steady offense while maxi requires no meter well thats all I have atm. ( now I shall never fight marginal or HRD now that I told them this info hehe)

My List of Worst Matchups in no particular order:

1) Mitsu

2) Pyrrha

3) Siegfried

Mitsu I don't think anyone would disagree with. Pyrrah has an annoying backstep with the addition of evasive crouching moves that hits Maxi when you attempt to retaliate. Siegfried is just a bad matchup by design since the days of SC2. I don't see much has changed when he 6A's or 3B's Maxi out of his strings on top of zoning Maxi out of his ideal range.

Still deciding on what his best matchups are.

Any tips for fighting against Voldo?
I believe that general strategy is to interrupt his mixups with some fast low. The problem is - the only low that comes fast enough (1K) has short range.
Other than that I've been trying to JG his 66B BE (can't do that outside of training mode - maybe once for every 10 fights fought) and duck under his flying circular kick (sorry, I don't know the inputs).

Top 3 worst I feel are Astaroth, Viola, and Siegfried in that order.
Top 3 best in my experience are... maybe Raph, Xiba, and Leixa. It's a lot harder to pick easiest match-ups.

People think Siegfried is a bad match up? I don't get it. We can punish him pretty bad with 6a+b. Also WS B+K > SCH mix ups. Id say the match up is even, if not slanted slightly towards maxi.

IMO, worst 3 are:

1. Mitsu: he's just too damn safe and evasive.

2. Viola: She just does too much damage
3. Asta?

Mitsu is far and away the worst match up. Viola is actually not that bad based on tools, but her damage output just doesn't leave much room for error.

The Sieg SA's consensus is that this MU is in Maxi's favor, although i personally think it could be even.
Make good use of 66B+K and rape his linearity with TC's and/or TS's. You can prevent EVERY stance mixup shenanigans with your CE btw.

For worst I'm thinking Mitsu, Tira and Cervantes
Best... I'm thinking NM, Raph and can't decide the last one; this is because they can't use stance at all against Maxi which kills half their game, NM can still space game but will have quite a hard time since Maxi can still get in easily, Raph is good match up for everyone I guess...
Sieg I think it's rather even

People think Siegfried is a bad match up? I don't get it. We can punish him pretty bad with 6a+b. Also WS B+K > SCH mix ups. Id say the match up is even, if not slanted slightly towards maxi.

If Sig 3Bs, how do you get into crouch to do B+K before he knees you?

Any tips for fighting against Voldo?
I believe that general strategy is to interrupt his mixups with some fast low. The problem is - the only low that comes fast enough (1K) has short range.
Other than that I've been trying to JG his 66B BE (can't do that outside of training mode - maybe once for every 10 fights fought) and duck under his flying circular kick (sorry, I don't know the inputs).

I'd say one huge tactic that Maxi has going for him in this matchup is the fact that once you block 1K and Voldo is in backturned, there is no mixup. You simply 6A+B and it beats everything he can do besides block. His aGI doesn't work against 6A+B, and as long as you're close enough his BT 1A also loses to 6A+B. Matter of fact, any attack that leaves him in BT, just use 6A+B after as long as you're in range. Other than that, watch out for the fact that he can escape a lot of mixups by doing his evade into landfish. If you can read an evade just 1K to stop the landfish BS.

I'd say one huge tactic that Maxi has going for him in this matchup is the fact that once you block 1K and Voldo is in backturned, there is no mixup. You simply 6A+B and it beats everything he can do besides block. His aGI doesn't work against 6A+B, and as long as you're close enough his BT 1A also loses to 6A+B. Matter of fact, any attack that leaves him in BT, just use 6A+B after as long as you're in range. Other than that, watch out for the fact that he can escape a lot of mixups by doing his evade into landfish. If you can read an evade just 1K to stop the landfish BS.

Aww hell.

I wish I read this before I had to play Aris today. :(

I have NO Voldo matchup knowledge. Guess I know who's next on the 6A+B punishment list!

BT Throw can evade 6A+B
and yes bt aGI does work against 6A+B actually, all mids

Did you even go to practice mode and try this before you posted? I know 6A+B kills Voldo aGI, BT throw, and BT1A from hours upon hours of matches against Manta. Only time it won't work as well is if the Voldo player does 1K from tip range meaning your 6A+B won't reach. But in that situation you can backdash all his options except BT aGI high stab so just back up and watch out for that move. But in close, 6A+B is golden.

And for the record, Voldo's BT aGI doesn't work against mid kicks and thrusting mids, it's been that way since SC4. So I guess Maxi's 6A+B counts as a thrusting mid.

Back