Maxi Match-up Discussion

Mistu isn't that broken IMO. He's linear from long range and his mid range comprises of quick pokes. You may eat a little bit of damage from 2 wrong guesses but you really shouldn't be getting launched that often or eating predictable 2k BEs. Don't even worry about the sweep til he has at least a bar or 2. His mist stance is taken care of with 6a+b and smart backstepping and ducking cause all his tools are either high or slow in that stance.

If you have good throwbreaking skills and patience the fight is definitely winnable.

no no I think rugi is just that bad and well I don't wanna call the char "broken" but what are his weaknesses you can exploit? I don't mean to be negative but its really an uphill battle even tho its winnable.....and I don't think a good rugi ever tries to utilize mist stance...instead they fish for either guardbreak damage with 44a,2A+b, and set u up with 2kb BE if u keep standing block..rugi has good range so even backstepping him alot I feel that's just not enough in the long haul :/ but yeah Im done.

Mistu isn't that broken IMO. He's linear from long range and his mid range comprises of quick pokes. You may eat a little bit of damage from 2 wrong guesses but you really shouldn't be getting launched that often or eating predictable 2k BEs. Don't even worry about the sweep til he has at least a bar or 2. His mist stance is taken care of with 6a+b and smart backstepping and ducking cause all his tools are either high or slow in that stance.

If you have good throwbreaking skills and patience the fight is definitely winnable.
Mitsu is a lot less linear than you'd think. His verticals track most of the time and his 4B is a hassle unless you can predict it. Either way, I don't consider rugi much threat. I've played him a lot in sc4 so I'm transitioning to 5 wasn't much of a threat. unfortunately I cannot give you much advice on him aside from watch for his near instant low pokes that seem to all be NC.

Note: 4B can be aGi'd. Use that to your advantage.

@ Uber yep your right 33B is safe, tested it last night didn't know. Funny I always use WS B+K on it they just choose not to block, I just wasn't aware. As far as Mitsu goes it is against Maxi but thats just 1 character I think in general Maxis got game in this iteration I mean 6A+B is like the nightmare killer, so many good tools. There has got to be solution to Mitsu other than dropping Maxi, perhaps we need to put emphasis on the really bad matchups against Maxi and just make punishment charts like Belial did with Maxi.

I feel like Astaroth is another bad match up for Maxi. =P
I used to not think so but my friend started playing him and I feel like Asta is fully capable of crippling Maxi. My friends Asta isn't even great, he just knows how to fight my Maxi and I can already see potential for Asta crippling Maxi.

I used to not think so but my friend started playing him and I feel like Asta is fully capable of crippling Maxi. My friends Asta isn't even great, he just knows how to fight my Maxi and I can already see potential for Asta crippling Maxi.

I'll have to agree with that. Asta's range and zoning control is used to compensate for his speed.
Maxi has a lil "speed" (take away the gaining range part), so against Asta, I find myself most of the time trying to gain range.

Try punishing his Verts with 22_88A or 22_88B....

I have problems with Mitsu 4B as well. I get interuppted by 4B in almost every string i perform. even BBBK, I get interupt after second B, during the 3rd B whiff.
I would say it is most dangerous during string interruption.
4BB can only be performed at close range, otherwise second B will whiff when Mitsu performs 4B.
So, at mid range 4B>LO , usuall I get punished by Mit 4B if i do LO B.
I mix up with 4B>LO>RC K

Close range: 4BB
Mid Range: 4B>LO>RC K

I'll have to agree with that. Asta's range and zoning control is used to compensate for his speed.
Maxi has a lil "speed" (take away the gaining range part), so against Asta, I find myself most of the time trying to gain range.

Try punishing his Verts with 22_88A or 22_88B....

I have problems with Mitsu 4B as well. I get interuppted by 4B in almost every string i perform. even BBBK, I get interupt after second B, during the 3rd B whiff.
I would say it is most dangerous during string interruption.
4BB can only be performed at close range, otherwise second B will whiff when Mitsu performs 4B.
So, at mid range 4B>LO , usuall I get punished by Mit 4B if i do LO B.
I mix up with 4B>LO>RC K

Close range: 4BB
Mid Range: 4B>LO>RC K
The key to punishing/getting past Mitsu's 4B is to see it comming. Most Mitsu's do this like clock work. They wait for certain moves then do 4B, or some even desperately throw it out every chance they get. Once you're no longer blinded by the aggrivation it is much easier to deal with.
The most important thing to note is that Mitsu's 4B CAN be aGI'd.
I guarantee you almost ever time you get 4B punished it is because you decided to continue with your attack string instead of hitting B+K to aGI. It might take you a while to get the timing down on some of the aGI's (Timing it so that it comes out just as Mitsu 4B hits) but its easier than it sounds.
Good moves are naturally 4B and 44B with Maxi. 44B is easier for me, but 4B cycles through another stance before returning to natural so you can literally wait a good amount of time before you aGI after 4B.

Aside from aGI'ing Mitsu's 4B, it can also be punished more directly if you see it comming. For example: 66A and even 66B will puninsh it if you see 4B comming. Odds are you could even 666A+B punish it but I haven't tried it. I'm poor with triple direction inputs.

Hope this helps.

No, its much more to it than that. A good mitsu won't just use 4B vs YOUR strings. He plugs it into his offense to deal with OUR retaliation. Point is, you're gonna get hit with it whether you like it or not unless you're going to turtle and look for that move only. The solution to minimise getting hit by it is indeed to look for the move but to use longer ranged attacks that will hit 4B in its evade.

For me personally 66A seems to get in it, 66B too if you're willing to gamble. I wanted 88A to work, buuut it's too slow. It would work if we had proper 8WR buffering :/

I've been stepping mitsu's mist to the left it seems to hit me everytime to the right but not to the left, and of course punish accordingly. If it can be stepped to the right let me know but so far I eat dmg.

Mitsu 4B is the least of your worries. It's a great move yes, but he can do naked backstep and perform harder hitting whiff punishes for a shitload of damage or a ring out if you're near an edge. Mitsu and Asta are my harder matchups so far. I haven't even played all the matchups to say they're the absolute hardest but so far, those 2 are the worst. Mitsu because he can backstep and hurt you a lot, and Asta because he can break your guard without even trying.

I still gotta say my advice for Mitsu still seems rather sound. I probably haven't versed any professional/tourney worthy Mitsu's yet but the ones I have it has really came down to adapting. If I can adapt to the 4B timing I can play normally and unhindered. If I can't adapt to it I lose. In most cases 4B is the only thing that is stopping me from running through Mitsu. I know his attacks and have no problem blocking/evading most of them. The only one I get hit by on a regular basis aside from 4B is 1aB and that's simply because I haven't found a way to stop it yet aside from getting fast enough reflexes to poke him out of it.

Mitsu 4B is the least of your worries. It's a great move yes, but he can do naked backstep and perform harder hitting whiff punishes for a shitload of damage or a ring out if you're near an edge. Mitsu and Asta are my harder matchups so far. I haven't even played all the matchups to say they're the absolute hardest but so far, those 2 are the worst. Mitsu because he can backstep and hurt you a lot, and Asta because he can break your guard without even trying.

Use less 1B and more 2B instead, combine with 66A, 3B and dashes into 6A+B. 3B hard to punish at range. I've started using it a bit these days, the range is surprisingly good at times

is that advice for Asta? How does 2B help? And I find i almost never really have much of a reason to use 3B. It just seems to be a crappy version of B+K. Less range, less damage, less speed.

Asta hasn't been much of a problem. The match up feels even, if not in Maxi's favor. When at range you bait whiffs as best you can without cornering yourself, and JG really slow shit like 22B and A+B then take advantage the moment they grow timid. Aside from that just be aggressive with TCs and interrupts. His break game is crazy, but that just means you have to take riskier defensive measures.

And I find i almost never really have much of a reason to use 3B.

Kinda agree. Aside from niche things like 3B into CE to RO through breakable walls it doesn't seem useful. I mean it does have a nice TC, but so does half of Maxi's move list.

Also, Uber/Krazy, I'd like to try some online matches with you guys. I've played HRD and Hates and the connections were playable so I doubt ours would be much worse.

yeah, i agree the Asta match-up is not too bad if you can jG his 22B and 44[A} reliably. If you still suck at jGing like me though, this match-up is definitely more favorable to Asta. Still not as bad as the Mitsu match-up though.

is that advice for Asta? How does 2B help? And I find i almost never really have much of a reason to use 3B. It just seems to be a crappy version of B+K. Less range, less damage, less speed.

2B has a very fast TC, safe, fast and has good range and sets up WS game nicely

3B trumps B+K for range easily, recheck that. Asta can't punish it and you may hit him out of bullrush with it a bit. I don't really use it in much matchups...but this one I do.

Back