Maxi Match-up Discussion

Hmmm I'm sure i got thrown from the bt throw, but that was during a match so... I'm probably slow there

So I found a viable use for Maxi's 2_8B+K and am happy to report that they wreck Algol's chair BS.

After you block the chair and Algol appears on 1P side you must use 2B+K to avoid both his BT A+B or a grab attempt. If he appears on the 2P side 8B+K must be used. This will put you in LI.

If Algol does BT A+B after his chair is blocked both LI A and the LI K, 6A+B BE, LI A combo are guaranteed punishes.

Another awesome thing about this is if he teleports twice Maxi will auto correct and be facing him anyway. Three teleports can avoid a LI K but not LI A. You could also 2_8B+K, PsL2, BT B+K if you predict a 3rd teleport but that's being extra flashy.

Some other random yet useful stuff I learned fighting him all yesterday

Algol's BT A+B is JG punishable by 44B, RO B, RC AB BE, LI A. The fact that all three attacks are JGed automatically makes it easier too buffer the 44B punishment but it's still damn hard. 66B and probablly every other move that gives Maxi good forward motion will work just fine as a punish.

Ducking the last hit of 6KK into a WsB+K punish flips ring position and allows you to ring out behind you with BL KK. You can obviously BE it if more distance is necessary. Ducking the last hit into an immediate grab gives you a right side throw attempt. If you delay your grab long enough you can get a free back throw.

Algol's WrK(K) can be sidestepped on reaction with 2_8B+K into a Left side throw attempt. This is of course assuming you jump too Maxi's right which allows for the semi fast cancel out of RO. If they wise up and start ducking your throws I think RO AK is a punish. At least my boyfriend didn't duck it ever.

RO B may also be a punish but RC A whiffed consistently for me in this situation so I wouldn't bother with it. You could always use it to lead into tech traps though. RC B might hit afterwards but I didn't want to risk jumping over him and missing.

I need Voldo help. I have Enk third round of Evo (yes, I know, I have to make it that far). I was wondering on what to look for.

I know how to combat landfish, but just general attacks to practice in practice mode.

BT 2A+B can be reacted to with practice. Learn to recognize his weapons sweeping way out in front of him before he brings them back for the low. If you can manage this he loses his scariest mixup.

Voldo Punishment:
3A = 2B or 6A+B* (Nothing at tip)​
1A = 6A+B (CE at tip)​
WR AA = 6A+B​
jump A = 2KB​
BS 6AB = JG second hit AA​
3B = AA​
3BB = JG 66B​
2BB = JG 6A+B​
1B = 6A+B (CE outside close range)​
WR 3B = 6A+B* (Nothing at tip)​
WR BB = JG 6A+B​
WR {B} = 2B​
BS 6B6B = JG 6A+B​
BS 4B = CE​
BS FC 1B = 6A+B*​
BS 8B = FC B (beats follow up and punishes)​
6{K} = 66B​
2K = FC B or CE (difficult)​
Jump K = 1K​
BS Jump K = A​
A+B = 2A​
6A+B = AA or CE​
6{A+B} = CE​
2A+B = 6A+B (4BB at tip)​
BS A+B = 6A+B​
BS 2A+B = 4BB or 6A+B*​
{B+K} = Back step 6A+B​
66A = AA or CE​
BS 22BK = 6A+B​
BS 22B = CE​
44K = 1K​
MC B = 66B​
CR A+B = 6A+B​
BS WR A+B = FC B​
DR A = 66B​
DR {A} = 8B​
DR B = 1K​
DR B* = 66B​
I'd also add to watch out for some CR trick Enk did to me last time I played him. He beat out a 2A interrupt that should have been guaranteed with a CR A+B that didn't have a CR animation.

You can TOTALLY Backstep Viola's 44A BE after you block the first two initial strikes from her. Doesn't matter if she delays it or not. I will never use meter to get out of that shit again. I tried this with two of my other mains (Natsu and Leixia) and the Backstep kept getting caught. Project Soul Maxi says thank you :)

As a bonus her 44A BE is unsafe if the wall is behind you. You have to be fairly close it the wall though. You can interrupt the orb with AA or K.

Never fear this move again.

Edit:
There is a sweet spot between Viola and the wall where you can't backstep or punish. Fortunately Maxi can step it too his left as well. Be careful with any retaliation against her because most of his attacks bring you back into the orbs path. The only one I know that doesn't is iWrB+K after the step.

If she runs at you thinking your gonna be stuck dealing with her 44A BE BS don't forget successful grab attempts stop the orb.

You can TOTALLY Backstep Viola's 44A BE after you block the first two initial strikes from her. Doesn't matter if she delays it or not. I will never use meter to get out of that shit again. I tried this with two of my other mains (Natsu and Leixia) and the Backstep kept getting caught. Project Soul Maxi says thank you :)

As a bonus her 44A BE is unsafe if the wall is behind you. You can interrupt the orb with AA or K.

Never fear this move again.
nice find :D so it seems not every char can backstep her 44A BE right? only certain chars can backstep it? I wonder if nightmare can

nice find :D so it seems not every char can backstep her 44A BE right? only certain chars can backstep it? I wonder if nightmare can
Of course Nightmare can. What can't he Backstep lol. Im about 99.97% both him and Patroklos can Backstep it. A lot of people underestimate Pats Backstep.

So I tested it for you and as I expected Nightmare and Patroklos can backstep it clean as well. Other characters (The ones I tested are Leixia, Yoshi, Xiba, Natsu, Mitsurugi and Aeon) can backstep and get hit by the first orb strike but the second strike will whiff so you can block/GI the third strike.

I haven't tested everyone since I don't play everyone but I feel like maybe Ivy and Hilde could backstep it clean too.

Edit:
Ivy and Hilde can backstep it clean too.

I know his BT aGI is fuckin nasty.
It only aGIs verticals. If he does hit with it, 2A+B is guaranteed and catches all techs. A+B3 > CR A+B is guaranteed against front and back tech and combos if they stay grounded, but will whiff against side techs. Since A+B3 > CR A+B gives a lot more damage than 2A+B as a followup, it's a mixup between staying grounded or teching to the side.

I'm having crazy trouble with the Maxi vs Pat matchup. I have my punishment down, I step punish 66B hard as hell, I know his common traps etc... I have the basics of it down. Still though, it's rough, and if I don't simply outguess my opponent it's done.

The main problem is his ridiculous Oki. I spend the entire match doing everything in my power not to get knocked down. Poking heavily at close/mid range so he can't get anything out that can KND, stepping constantly, spacing him way the hell out, but it still happens eventually and when it does it's like Amy 2.0. Except with Pat you can't just take a grounded hit and roll away to safety.

Anyway, I'm going to break this shit down to a science in training, but I'd like any tips you guys can offer.

Sound like you got the idea right with Pat. Space his poke game, step 66b. I find B+K very useful in this matchup for backstep punishing pokes. I don't think he's especially annoying for maxi, just annoying in general

Ive got a charity match against an Ezio. Being that no one really plays him, Im having trouble with this match up. any ideas guys.

I got watch for that low kick. keep the spacing to about mid to close range, dem fuckin arrows, side step the second B in 6BB.

But yall got anything else?

22AA is always punishable by 66B regardless of how far you think you might be away from him on block.

1A is punishable by WrB

6ABB (I think that's the string) duck second hit and WrB punish

Punish all crossbows with 66B after sidewalking them. You can actually get the punish from a pretty far. Be wary of the one he can roll out of into another crossbow shot. I think he rolls to the right so maybe try 66B+K or 33B to catch the roll and punish the single shot in one go.

That's all I got for ya HRD.

Reactions: HRD
I happened upon an Ezio player online and found out his Shoulder Charge into any roll is punishable by iWrB+K. Even more damage if Ezio goes for a crossbow shot.

Woke up this morning and hit the lab. Feelin a lot better bout the match up now
Reaves idea of punishing 6BB with WSB+K is genious. I QS the 2nd B and can punish with what i want. 6A+B seems more reliable.

Dem kicks tho. Jeezus. I space him at mid range to stay away from dem K's! They scare me.

Back