Mi-na Matchup Discussion

Hmm, I suppose I should write about characters I have issues with:

Voldo - Jesus, his options, soul damage, and mix-ups are just...ridiculous. Honestly, I freeze up more often than not just waiting for Voldo to move so I "might" have an idea of what's going on. Any specific moves I should be using? Cha Cha told me if I was being seriously pressured that I should just B+K away, but I'm not sure if that's really enough.

Amy - Specifically a very bulldog-ish Amy. Lots of 6:6B, 66A, etc. It just seems like she gets crazy frame adv. off of really stupid crap. I haven't played him in a good while, and I've improved since then, but I'm still unsure as to how I'd fair. I suppose just stepping a lot would help?

Amy's 66A is useful? Isn't it slow as all get out? Does it give mad frame advantage or something?

It's + on block, so it's good for wakeup (Remember that 6:6B hits grounded, and gives you a reason to get the fuck up).

Edit: Forgot the rest of my post, lol. Anyway, the key is to take advantage of the opponent's patterns as much as possible, and to avoid attacking at disadvantage while in close range, since her 6BB is i11, and her 3K is i14, iirc. Keep her out of your face as much as possible, and try your best to block her lows, since they're all -17 or worse on block.

Spacing is so hard against Voldo. For some reason 4A is not abusable against him. I can't give any real advice on how to deal with him. Second hit from his 3BB can be Auto Impacted with 4B+K if that move is giving you trouble on your soul guage. Also, beware of using thrusting mids like 6B on him because he super tech crouches under all of it.

Amy I don't have a whole lot of experience with except one or two tourney matches where I had to totally wing it because I didn't know shit about her. I did manage to win though using crazy mixups and lots of 4A for baiting. Try to jump the low in 3BA instead of guarding it because it's safe. Stepping helps too, yeah. I guess plenty of 4A and 7B helps.

Eh, sorry. Guess I wasn't much help there. My anti-character is lacking at this point.

Not at all man. I appreciate any and all help to be honest. I'm sure over time we'll have a general idea of what we can do against most characters. I've been lurking around the forums for a good while, but I feel I need to be more proactive with you guys so we all can find out what we have to work with in regards to Mi-na against other characters.

Punnish = propensity for puns.

Punish = guaranteed damage in Soul Calibur, due to whiff or block. Khent's referring to block in this situation.

ok ok punish, well yeah my definition is slightly different to yours . or is 'punish' one of these clearly defined slang terms your all so fond of? anyway... mina match-ups. i dont think shes too hot against seigfried & n-mare, shes good for beasting amy and rapheal and her spinnyjump works wonders against ivy, semi-spam it. oh yeah shell beast good voldos too

No. First off, her spinny jumps aka 8A+B or B+K (Yes, the majority of people use this "slang", so that we know what the fuck people are talking about) are both unsafe on block, and you can possibly get PUNISHED really badly if they are (Voldo gets a guaranteed 60 something damage PUNISH for free if he blocks B+K). Her issue against him, or at least one that knows what they're doing with him, is that she can't space them well at all. Against Amy, it's her fast shit up close that creates issues.

well i only play online( yeah i know im not worthy it sucks etc) so dont see too many good voldos but i find ivy is quite easy to anticipate so the spinnyjump usually connects and ivys longe range is very linear so she aint to much hassle, plus i think minas up-close game is better than most people assume always enough to create space, like i mentioned before her buttonroll kick seams to beat 'fast characters'. well online anyhows.

Okay, I don't have a clue what the "buttonroll" kick is. If you want to actually communicate with people on here, please try to use the standard notation. If you don't know what it is, here's a link:http://www.8wayrun.com/f6/newbie-silencer-t76/

That said, Mi-na's main issue up close is that her frames often force her to play defensively, except in situations where she's at advantage or against hesitant opponents.

lol, Khent called it.

But look, I'm not the one who named that thread, and I'm not calling you a newbie by linking you to it. I'm just trying to help a bit. I'll repeat myself one more time: If you want to have an actual discussion on this forum, you should learn the notation, so that you can properly communicate with others. If you don't want to, then don't expect people to pay attention to you. I'm not arguing this any further, since I don't want the thread derailed.

That one Auto-GI ring out kick was totally boss. I wish she still had that. I would abuse that so much if she did.

Probably talking about her old 6K. That was one awesome move. Lol. 4KB also used to ringout too. On normal hit no less. Totally boss. Lol.

Mina's aGIs were insane in SC3. 6K was basically asura, and 4KB was easy to abuse. Too bad I didn't really play her in SC3, so I missed out on when she was still pretty good. :/

vs. Amy: I actually switched to Rock for this matchup a long time ago, but I've got a bit of general Amy experience. The one thing you can usually count on is that Amy is predictable like the days of the week; most Amy players use the exact same mixups and setups (really, there's little reason not to; there's so godamn good). Specifically, you need to learn to properly react to 3B mixups and how to get out of A+B mixups on the ground: if you roll wrong you'll eat the low and end up grounded again, if you try and block it at the wrong time you'll get hit by the B and eat some guaranteed damage. Both options are pretty safe, too. I usually just sleep either way, because getting hit by the low on the ground is preferable to either alternative.

Frankly, a lot of Amy's moves are stupid safe, even for characters that can punish well. Mina is pretty fucked for that. You can step 33B, but 66A+B tends to track funny, so it's much harder to deal with. If they start with the 236 mixups (especially if they've figured out how to get all the hits out of 236BBB... on block) that's hard to deal with, as well. Again, you can't really punish anything they're doing there. The one saving grace, I think, is that up close they'll probably be poking the shit out of you, so 4A and aGIs (if you see a move coming) should work alright.

In general, I'd say to play as safe as you can. Do not throw out lots of 66Bs and FC1Bs at range, because Amy can step well and close the distance easily, Up close use 6AK (you can actually get decent mixups after this pushes our on normal hit) and 6B+K in the few instances you get to punish. Do not try to fight her in her range, though. Get the hell back as soon as you possibly can. If you can defend well enough then I think you'd have a decent chance of scaring them with SG damage and tipping the fight in your favour.

Thank you Page. You pretty much covered majority of the issues I had been having. I dunno, when I played Amy for the first time, I kind of just completely froze because I didn't know what the hell was going on. Then again, at that time I was still relatively new to Mina, but I knew her punishment game was...lacking to say the least.

I guess patience overall is an important factor when you lack a large amount of tools to effectively punish with. =[

About SC3 Mina's, I used her a lot. Her 4B+K aGI was also very fun to use. I believe her aGIs also worked on any type of attack, unlike now that you need to choose one for horizontals and one for verticals. She could RO in a lot of different positions, and you could even base some matches in your RO capabilities. Another thing that was great before, was that Mina's 3B ALWAYS launched, and so did WRB. (like a NORMAL launcher, hello Namco!) So you could rely on those to get some nice air combos.

Enough nostalgia rant though. On topic:

Amy- Argh. I get owned most of times by her. I've started playing an Amy user only recently so I don't have that much experience. But, I can say I'm able to keep her away sort of easier than Raphael. I believe it is because Amy has slight less reach than Raphael. Don't take my word for it, I still get kindly raped against that Amy.

I'd like to be of more help, but I hope someone finds that bit of data useful. =)

I just have no godamn clue what to do against that kid. He always seems to have some retarded frame advantage, he's got tons of lame TJ moves, he can punish very well, he's pretty safe vs a character like Mina, and I don't recognize his lows yet. Fuck him in the face.

if in doubt impact, most of his attacks are average speed so easy to get. if youre gonna lose anyway its always worth trying something different. theres few better sights than a cervy whos scared to attack

Back