Missing character discussion

zwei can stay hes rly cool but he needs different moves he has to much high moves and like no real low move

3) Talim's fighting style was so interesting. It added variety to the cast and I can't help but wonder how failed experiments like Zwei took precedent over her.

4) Apat is an overpowered unnecessary mess. There was no reason to replace Setsuka. And the fighting style loses everything that was interesting about it without the umbrella. Setsuka should replace Apat next game and Patroklos can continue to be a douche.

5) Zazalamel has more reason to be in this game than anyone else. He can't die, and he was a very interest character with an even more interest fighting style. I can't wait to see him make a return.

I think the only reason why Talim has gotten so much praise for being "a fan favorite" is simply due to the fact she's not in the game. She was hardly ever used online, so I don't see how she's suddenly a fan favorite. Same with Yun Seong; he was HATED by everyone for replacing Hwang, but now that he's gone, his style is unique now? wtf? There's truth in the saying "You'll never know what you have 'til it's gone."

Setsuka no longer had the desire for revenge against Mitsu, so I can understand why she wouldn't want to fight anymore. The Istanbul story, however, could have at least given the opportunity for one of the other orphans to become a major character. For instance, let's say that there was a girl who's hometown was destroyed by Graf Dumas's army and she see's Setsuka's training as a means to get revenge. I used a girl as an example because, honestly, the roster could use about 3 or 4 more women :p

One positive about aPat, however, is that you won't feel bad about not using him (because you can play a different version of him). :D

Zas can, in fact, die. He reincarnates; he's not immortal in the traditional sense.

Xiba is actually kind of badass!! He has my respect!

1) I think its obvious that everyone would prefer Kilik to Xiba, but I don't think he's going anywhere considering its his first game. If he had more of Kilik's old moves and was significantly less annoying I probably wouldn't hate him as much. But i'd still totally hate him.
2) I play Lexia because of character loyalty but her personality can be very irritating at times. I don't think her dialogue is realistic considering the nature of the danger she's putting herself in by fighting. I would've preferred a more mature Xianghua, but since they've already introduced Lexia as Xianghua's successor that ship has sailed. I hope she matures in future games.
3) Talim's fighting style was so interesting. It added variety to the cast and I can't help but wonder how failed experiments like Zwei took precedent over her.
4) Apat is an overpowered unnecessary mess. There was no reason to replace Setsuka. And the fighting style loses everything that was interesting about it without the umbrella. Setsuka should replace Apat next game and Patroklos can continue to be a douche.
5) Zazalamel has more reason to be in this game than anyone else. He can't die, and he was a very interest character with an even more interest fighting style. I can't wait to see him make a return.
6) Astaroth isn't interesting or unique in any way. He's just there. But because he can be mass produced he has a reason to be in every game. Ugh. Rock is superior to him in every sense and I hope Bango represents his fighting style in the future.
7) Seong-Mina and Yun-seong got screwed too. I don't think their storyline could've been taken any further but they could've at least been given replacements.
8) Cassandra isn't dead but i'm not sure if I want her back or not. Pyrrha is likable and while I do prefer Cassandra infinitely to Patroklos he's probably staying. :( Three S & S styles would be silly and the only way to have just two be to allow Patroklos to keep Setsuka's moveset. And I want Setsuka back way more than I want Cassandra back. The ideal solution would be to go back in time and castrate Rothion before Patroklos is conceived.
9) I have hope for Natsu. She's almost likable, and her demon possession is interesting. She can always get more mature in future games. I do miss Taki's badass self but I think I can cope. I just don't understand why she's as happy as she is now. She grew up in a ninja clan that kills demons. Around people that probably hated her because she's possessed by a demon. I don't believe that after a lifetime getting treated like ass and demon hunting that a person could be that happy go lucky.

Xiba is kiliks descendent they only changed our beloved staff badass was to have room for more characters.

Please merge your posts together next time using the edit button instead of triple posting. :D

They made too many mimic characters on scv. The should of gave kill his own stlye and Elysium her own leaving us with one mimic character.

Here's why I think some styles ended up getting cut. Not really talking about the characters, but why some of the styles wouldn't have worked with SCV's mechanics
I'm also assuming that PS didn't have enough time/effort to revamp these styles which resulted in them getting axed

First off I wanna point out that it's definitely no coincidence that all of the cut styles were low tier. If tournament play was Namco's first priority, I understand why they would cut out the styles that were never used competitively.

Talim-Her style was based on quick moves linked together by evasive rolls, spins and flips. The problem was that even in SCIII and IV, her evasive moves didn't evade diddly squat. It's been awhile, so I don't remember any of the button inputs, but I specifically remember the move where she jumps backward, then flips forward to punch her opponent in the face. She sprawled her body out so much on the first jump that you were pretty much guaranteed to hit her no matter where she went. She also had those sidestepping spins where she usually just spun right into another vertical attack. PS likely noticed that her main gimmick was almost useless, and with the addition of quickstep, there wasn't even any reason to use any of her moves.

Rock-He never got any love. I absolutely loved him in SCIV. His chain ground throws were probably the most fun I've had with any character in the Soul series. The problem was that if the opponent was even slightly off axis, the throw would fail. It didn't help that it was nearly impossible to win with him. Plus, the whole head first/feet first throws were relatively confusing, difficult to do and inaccessible to newer players. Coupled with the fact that Astaroth was more popular than Rock, and the fact that for some reason, people thought they were clones (when their movesets were vastly different) PS revamped his multi-grab system and gave it to an already tournie worthy Astaroth.

Seong Mina-She suffered a fate similar to Rock. She came first, Kilik took her moveset and pegged her as the clone. By SCIII, she reinvented her style to be a unique slash based spacing character, with a moveset completely different from Kilik's. Still, because both of them used polearms, people dismissed her as a clone. Her style in SCIV was very interesting, however she managed to drop to bottom tier because despite an impressive mixup game, someone at PS decided it would be a great idea if she had zero natural hit combos and the only way she could pull off more than one hit was through a counter hit. The whole tip range damage thing was a nice concept, but at point blank, where nearly all battles would take place, even her launcher, well, wouldn't launch. With the community begging PS to get rid of clones, PS decided to do away with the lower-tier polearm user, who, like Rock, had a completely unique movest but suffered from having a similar weapon as a more popular character.

Zasalamel-fuck if I know...

TL:DR- Namco wanted to focus on competitive play. Talim got cut because her moveset would have been useless with the SCV system. Rock and Mina got cut because the community called for fewer similar styles, so the lower-tier sets were axed. But we did get an extra sword and shield user. God I hate everything.

and Kilik and Astaroth can go die in a skiing accident

I guess Xiba is the most hated character in the series.
After ZWEI. It's understandable why people think he's bad, a lot of his attacks have short range, and have slow startup, and he's definitely not beginner-friendly, because if you don't know his moveset you might throw out a lot of unsafe and slow moves. Though his character design just isn`t selling on the opposite end.
what bout the alexandras ? ._.
they are fuckin annoying
They both at least have good designs and storylines, just irritating generic voices and horrible dialogue to spare.

I think the only reason why Talim has gotten so much praise for being "a fan favorite" is simply due to the fact she's not in the game. She was hardly ever used online, so I don't see how she's suddenly a fan favorite. Same with Yun Seong; he was HATED by everyone for replacing Hwang, but now that he's gone, his style is unique now? wtf? There's truth in the saying "You'll never know what you have 'til it's gone."
Just because she's not as popular online like the Mitsu/Amy/Kilik players, doesn't mean she wasn't a fan favorite. Just go to the SC wiki page and she alone has more likes then most of the other chars combined. And take a look at her and Zas petition. I love both characters and I voted for both but it's easy to see that she's more popular.

Her style was fun (but flawed. Yes, I have to admit that she gets interrupted too often) and many loved her for her design and personality. She stood out and from an aesthetic viewpoint, she was a successful character and many loved her because of her innocence and compassion. Her unique elbow blades, title as wind priestess and traditional outfits make her memorable. The same way many loved Ivy because of her unique personality, whip sword, provocative outfit and design.
*We can see why ppl hate Xiba since one can use one word to describe him. Xiba=Food

I still hate Yun but that weapon and style being removed was dumb. The people who trained hard with that style gets left in the dirt and is forced to use another style. Doesn't seem like a good way to make Zas/Talim/Yun/Rock fans happy. The three mimics and omega/alpha thing feels like a slap in the face more then ever to those guys.

Personally, I'd rather have Yun back (shudders) then a mimic.

Just because she's not as popular online like the Mitsu/Amy/Kilik players, doesn't mean she wasn't a fan favorite. Just go to the SC wiki page and she alone has more likes then most of the other chars combined. And take a look at her and Zas petition. I love both characters and I voted for both but it's easy to see that she's more popular.

Her style was fun (but flawed. Yes, I have to admit that she gets interrupted too often) and many loved her for her design and personality. She stood out and from an aesthetic viewpoint, she was a successful character and many loved her because of her innocence and compassion. Her unique elbow blades, title as wind priestess and traditional outfits make her memorable. The same way many loved Ivy because of her unique personality, whip sword, provocative outfit and design.
*We can see why ppl hate Xiba since one can use one word to describe him. Xiba=Food

I still hate Yun but that weapon and style being removed was dumb. The people who trained hard with that style gets left in the dirt and is forced to use another style. Doesn't seem like a good way to make Zas/Talim/Yun/Rock fans happy. The three mimics and omega/alpha thing feels like a slap in the face more then ever to those guys.

Personally, I'd rather have Yun back (shudders) then a mimic.
I don't like citing the wiki page as a liable source (I mentioned online based on mine and other player's experience), but as far as the likes she received goes (I haven't seen the page)...was that before or after she was confirmed not to be in the roster? Same goes with Zas. If they had the highest votes, then it's no doubt it's because they weren't in the roster and people suddenly want them back. If they were confirmed, it wouldn't be that high (and there wouldn't be any bitching either). If Siegfried was gone, he'd have a high number of votes too.

The point I was making is that those characters were underused or not as popular as others, but now that they're gone, they're suddenly crazy popular. It's as if the series suddenly isn't "SoulCalibur" without them. I don't think it's as much as people wanting Talim, Yun, Zas, etc back. It's because people just want six characters in the roster other than Algol, aPat, Pyrrha O, and the mimics.

I don't like citing the wiki page as a liable source (I mentioned online based on mine and other player's experience), but as far as the likes she received goes (I haven't seen the page)...was that before or after she was confirmed not to be in the roster? Same goes with Zas. If they had the highest votes, then it's no doubt it's because they weren't in the roster and people suddenly want them back. If they were confirmed, it wouldn't be that high (and there wouldn't be any bitching either). If Siegfried was gone, he'd have a high number of votes too.

The point I was making is that those characters were underused or not as popular as others, but now that they're gone, they're suddenly crazy popular. It's as if the series suddenly isn't "SoulCalibur" without them. I don't think it's as much as people wanting Talim, Yun, Zas, etc back. It's because people just want six characters in the roster other than Algol, aPat, Pyrrha O, and the mimics.
Lol no. I don't like to use the wiki as a source of info either. I meant the 'like' button on the character's page. And it was already very very high before she wasn't announced in the roster. Currently, Taim has like 370 something while Zas has 24. I've checked the other chars and most never gets higher than 60. For ex, Cass has 54. Just using the likes on the wiki as one ex to show that Talim is very well loved by most people. Her petition has like one thousand three hundred something votes compared to Zas five hundred something. (Poor immortal guy... Vote and do this for Omega!)

Those guys weren't high tier. That's for sure lol. But they were loved because they were memorable and there are people who have grown fond of that fighting style. I don't think Yun is 'crazy popular' cuz most people weren't too sad about him leaving. It's the style that people want. As for Talim, she was always loved by fans and I don't know much about Zas except for the fact that I liked him alittle. But you're right in saying that after he was gone, I 'love' him.

True for the fact that people would want them back rather than the mimics though. However, the main argument is that they have fans who feels cheated that they didn't even get the style back. They're not as many Zas users as Kilik users but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a loss to the roster to lose that style. Diversity is nice and no one was very happy about the mimics and 3 swords and shields users.

*A reason why she's not used online very often is because she's hard to win with. :'(
I admit that I use Raph in SCIV alittle more then her because of that reason but in my heart, I liked her more then him. And one more thing... I'm guilty for not using her in SCIII (She was soooooo bad...). I used Ivy but I have regretted it for like ever.
(>T^T) Come back to me, Talim!

Setsuka no longer had the desire for revenge against Mitsu, so I can understand why she wouldn't want to fight anymore. The Istanbul story, however, could have at least given the opportunity for one of the other orphans to become a major character. For instance, let's say that there was a girl who's hometown was destroyed by Graf Dumas's army and she see's Setsuka's training as a means to get revenge. I used a girl as an example because, honestly, the roster could use about 3 or 4 more women :p

One positive about aPat, however, is that you won't feel bad about not using him (because you can play a different version of him). :D

Zas can, in fact, die. He reincarnates; he's not immortal in the traditional sense.

Her fighting style was very difficult to use effectively which is why I loved her. I genuinely liked her before everyone started bitching about her being gone when SC5 came out. So I guess i'm biased. And I started playing this game during SC4 so its unique to me.

Admittedly they took her story as far as it could go. I do like the idea of a female prodigy of hers taking her place.

Thats what I meant when I said Zas can't die.

I don't want Natsu to suddenly become depressed. Just a little more serious. She doesn't exactly live a life that encourages being playful.

And I totally agree with Bangoo having his own fighting style. I meant him representing Rock.

You call Zwei a failed experiment, I call Zwei the most unique character in the game. Id much rather have him than a flipping phillipino girl. Although, i guess im a bit biased since i never used her. I guess its a mater of opinion.

Talim is more realistic in my opinion. I know this isn't exactly a game based on realism, but Ein is just too much for me. He looks out of place and very awkward. I can't take the robot-disembodied-wolf seriously. I just can't.

Back