MLG Anaheim Selling to Capacity!

That's right folks, MLG Anaheim player passes for everything but fighting games are sold out and spectator passes are almost gone. What does that mean? That means that soon the Starcraft2 and LoL spectators are going to have to buy our competitor passes just to get in the door.

If you have plans to attend this, buy one NOW! Click here for the link to buy passes.

Don't understand why their site doesn't accept Mastercard...I mean...that's all I have! =(

Mastercard raised their rates for businesses to process payments. So a bunch of companies stopped accepting them.

Any tournament of significance these days cost money. Registration fees etc. MLG fees are a non issue. Though its pretty safe to say not a lot of people are gonna pay 35 spectator fee at least from the fighting game community that is.

Thats funny like Evo wasnt about to charge you 50$ just for sunday. Its ok though next year im sure it will be 35$ for the whole weekend just like all other esports (yes Evo is esports)

Having attended a number of eSports events, I wouldn't really classify Evo as eSports (at least in the way most of the FGC uses the word). I also don't see why you felt the need to bring up Evo.

From the FGC perspective, I can understand why Tag would react negatively to a $35 spectator fee. 99% of fighting game tournaments do not have a spectator fee. The few that do are usually not $35. I'm not complaining about the fee, because I understand it. But MLG is an oddity in this sense and I think your reaction was unprofessional and reflects poorly on MLG.

Having attended a number of eSports events, I wouldn't really classify Evo as eSports (at least in the way most of the FGC uses the word). I also don't see why you felt the need to bring up Evo.

From the FGC perspective, I can understand why Tag would react negatively to a $35 spectator fee. 99% of fighting game tournaments do not have a spectator fee. The few that do are usually not $35. I'm not complaining about the fee, because I understand it. But MLG is an oddity in this sense and I think your reaction was unprofessional and reflects poorly on MLG.

While I see yours and Tag's points, allow me to play devil's advocate here in saying that EVO is kinda already becoming eSports.

Aside from the absurd amount of money going in and out of EVO, EVO has picked up licensing, sponsorships, apparel trade and others that make it a far cry from the traditional grass roots event. If anyone unfamiliar with fighting games went to both EVO and MLG, the only glaring difference they'd probably notice is that MLG is a lot quieter while EVO has more of the controlled chaos (as well as a bordeline unhealthy does of swearing and table flipping). EVO charging its own spectator fee is one of the many signs that the FGC tournament scene is changing and that the line between #eSports and #FGC is blurring.

Evo needs to avoid that pinheaded esports label. Such a bad idea, yet it persists.

Why something like egames which actually applies is shunned but esports which makes no sense is being forced upon anything competitive gaming related is getting kinda annoying.

Professional sports tend to actually pay the players (not just the super stars) and they actively promote the games they're trying to sell to the public. esports does neither really. Low turnout? It's just "Well, guess you guys didn't support your game hard enough. You should've done more unpaid legwork for us. Buh bye."

While I see yours and Tag's points, allow me to play devil's advocate here in saying that EVO is kinda already becoming eSports.

Aside from the absurd amount of money going in and out of EVO, EVO has picked up licensing, sponsorships, apparel trade and others that make it a far cry from the traditional grass roots event. If anyone unfamiliar with fighting games went to both EVO and MLG, the only glaring difference they'd probably notice is that MLG is a lot quieter while EVO has more of the controlled chaos (as well as a bordeline unhealthy does of swearing and table flipping). EVO charging its own spectator fee is one of the many signs that the FGC tournament scene is changing and that the line between #eSports and #FGC is blurring.

I don't know. I've been to IPL and MLG (as well as WCG and CGS in the past), and those events are quite different than Evo. I look at Evo more as an escalated community tournament rather than an entrance level eSports event. No disrespect meant to eSports or Evo, just saying that I don't believe Evo is similar to eSports events.

I do agree that Evo is starting to move away from the community feel and the lines are being blurred. I compare Evo to Final Round and I see glaring differences. But I still think it's closer to something like Final Round than MLG or IPL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isisabraham
Back