Nightmare General Discussion/Q&A

should you always go into NSS from wr B? there isn't enough time to hit confirm, but huge damage potential is lost if he doesn't do it. can his opponent stuff him if he goes into NSS from a blocked wr B?

what moves should always go into stances whether it's hit or not? is it opponent dependent?

should you always go into NSS from wr B?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure you could do some pseudo mixups with WR B and WR (B) NSS bA, but I doubt its even worth it.

what moves should always go into stances whether it's hit or not? is it opponent dependent?[/quote]

3(B) and WR (B). There's very little reason to ever not go into NSS with these two.

Did you know that GS B ~ GS B ~ can combo into agA?
I knew that GS B ~ agA is a combo , but didn't know it can still combo if you do it twice!
I was testing is long time ago, but couldn't get it, so i thought it's not possible.
However, i tried again and it works.

GS B ~ GS B ~ agA (95dmg)
Near wall it combos at least into 2A+B for 120 dmg... somtimes even combos into 4KK for 160 dmg + 1 3/4BE.

iagA is character specific i think, since it's at least 1F slower. Got it on Asta and Tira but not Leixia. iagA (102-108 dmg)

so what are the safe options for blocked wr(B) and 3(B)
these 2 moves should push opponent far enough so that they can't 2A in response to NSS, but, without trying this stuff in training mode and just going by frame data alone, people with tech crouch dash moves under 21 frames can beat NSS, right? or is there a way out for nightmare?

how many frames does it take for nightmare to exit NSS so he can guard again?

I hate to be a buzzkill (which my phone attempts to autocorrect to "buxom") but those have been known for a while. NSS A+B also lets aga combo afterward.
Against some characters, there's no safe option; Pat 236AB completely shuts down all NSS options except for after 44(B). However, some characters have to guess and most have much worse options against 3(B) when blocked at tip range and not all players know how to deal with NSS. Against people who hesitate, NSS A is the safest option at only -12 with considerable pushback. You could also try transitioning into GS B, but anyone who lets NM get away with that after 3(B) doesn't know the match up.
NSS A+B is another good option. -14 on block but a pretty strong launcher all things considered.
NSS K and NSS bA are necessary for preventing the opponent from using more dangerous options (e.g. stop Pat from 'punishing' 3(B) with 66B instead of 236AB) but are both awful on block.
NSS B is pretty awful. People manage to find ways to get hit by it somehow but it has no reliable purpose outside of filling in for dropped NSS bAs in combos.

So what's up with NSS A+B~aGa or ~iaGa?

Im pretty sure it has a strict window but is it character dependent? I rarely ever get it to work...

so what are the safe options for blocked wr(B) and 3(B)
these 2 moves should push opponent far enough so that they can't 2A in response to NSS, but, without trying this stuff in training mode and just going by frame data alone, people with tech crouch dash moves under 21 frames can beat NSS, right? or is there a way out for nightmare?

There's no completely safe option from NSS. It's just a mixup game.

NSS K is the frame trap to beat most retaliation.

NSS b:A stuffs most vertical or high tech crouches that would stuff NSS K.

NSS neutral or NSS 4 beats 2A/2k.

NSS A+B catches people who like to duck NSS K.

NSS A is a safe exit for people who like to sit and wait for something punishable. GS B can be used here for the same thing, and is usually better.

GS A will beat slower TCing verticals like Siegfried's 3B that beats NSS K and NSS A+B. At least it did in SC4. The nerf to GS A in SC5 makes it come out too slow to be reliable most of the time.

how many frames does it take for nightmare to exit NSS so he can guard again?

I don't remember, but I will test this out once I get the chance.

So what's up with NSS A+B~aGa or ~iaGa?

Im pretty sure it has a strict window but is it character dependent? I rarely ever get it to work...

It is character dependent and has a strict window. Only works on larger characters and sometimes on side hit.

So, according to my tests:

33B6 GS cancel is -8 exactly if done perfectly. Only aPat CE and natsu's 4a+bA/2bA can stop it, and you're able to empty GS under natsu's stuff.

33B6 GS cancel into an attack is -12 if done perfectly.

I always thought of him at mid high pre 33B cancel. Idk if its enough to put him at high tier(A tier) tho. I dont think this makes his harder MUs any easier imo. Though his spacing game did become a whole lot deadlier...

Apparently it's some bullshit he wants to reveal during a tourney stream. It'll probably be really disappointing and shitty, just like FIME.

So, I've tested out 33B GS cancel 4a+b. Its pretty nifty, but is character specific outside of tip range and the timing is tricky. It works as a down trap against rolls in any direction but left and only certain characters can left roll it and only at certain ranges. It also catches back ukemi.

Here's the list:

All ranges: xiba, cervy, aeon, nightmare, rugi, yoshi, voldo, algol, apat
Close and tip only: ezio, siegfried, maxi, damp, asta
Mid and tip only: pat
None: zwei

Everyone not mentioned can left roll it at mid (round start) and close distance. No one can left roll it at tip range, except Zwei, who can do so at all ranges.

An odd issue is that some characters (Astaroth, aPat, etc) can left roll it if they are in close range and are running forward, even though they couldn't do so if they had been standing still.

Last edited:
Pretty much you just want to press B+K right as NM ducks his head while going into GS. I never found the earliest window for when you can cancel GS though so I just mapped a button for B+K and double tap it.

So can we get a list of what combos we can get from 33B GS cancel? Are there any significant changes in terms of damage output?

Back