Nightmare General Discussion/Q&A

It's Ruben and no I am a scrub D:< nothing more I am not near as good as OmegaDR or Keev im like at the bottom as one of the worst NM players I really did just get lucky >_<

Right side throw oki analysis
Right side throw gives 65 damage and puts opponent in an untechable face down feet toward state, one of the two technically backturned downed states. Afterwards,
  • 66B catches front, back, and left rolls. Loses to Leixia's WR B but beats crybaby.
  • 44B catches front, back, and left rolls. Loses to Leixia's crybaby but beats WR B/WR B BE.
  • GS B catches front, back, and right rolls. Loses to Leixia's WR B but beats crybaby.
  • 8B catches front, back, and right rolls.
  • GS K BE catches front, back, and right rolls.
These can't be interrupted on wakeup except by αPat CE, Cervantes CE, and faster mid aGIs such as the Greeks' A+Bs, Cervantes B+K, and Algol's shoryuken.
  • iFC A+G_B+G will catch all forms of rolls but will only result in an empty "I need more!" animation with no pickup due to the opponent's BT downed state.
  • 1K is a force block that cannot be rolled to any direction or interrupted.
  • 3B*3(B) is a force block that cannot be rolled to any direction or interrupted.
  • 2B is an almost force block -- the only escape is rolling to the right.
The most important thing to take from this is that if the opponent is doing anything but standing up and guarding, you get a free 3(B). Otherwise, throw them or 66B. Right side throw doesn't give quite as good of oki as A+G, but it does a fuckload of damage and is a 50/50 break.

So much for nerfed throw game.

So...JG punishes/interrupts. Anyone looked into them? I see none posted anywhere, figured I'd look into some if I can get my scrubby execution up to par. Or is someone better going to do it better too? Lovely either way.

Right side throw oki analysis
Right side throw gives 65 damage and puts opponent in an untechable face down feet toward state, one of the two technically backturned downed states. Afterwards,
  • 66B catches front, back, and left rolls. Loses to Leixia's WR B but beats crybaby.
  • 44B catches front, back, and left rolls. Loses to Leixia's crybaby but beats WR B/WR B BE.
  • GS B catches front, back, and right rolls. Loses to Leixia's WR B but beats crybaby.
  • 8B catches front, back, and right rolls.
  • GS K BE catches front, back, and right rolls.
These can't be interrupted on wakeup except by αPat CE, Cervantes CE, and faster mid aGIs such as the Greeks' A+Bs, Cervantes B+K, and Algol's shoryuken.

• iFC A+G_B+G will catch all forms of rolls but will only result in an empty "I need more!" animation with no pickup due to the opponent's BT downed state.
  • 1K is a force block that cannot be rolled to any direction or interrupted.
  • 3B*3(B) is a force block that cannot be rolled to any direction or interrupted.
  • 2B is an almost force block -- the only escape is rolling to the right.
The most important thing to take from this is that if the opponent is doing anything but standing up and guarding, you get a free 3(B). Otherwise, throw them or 66B. Right side throw doesn't give quite as good of oki as A+G, but it does a fuckload of damage and is a 50/50 break.

So much for nerfed throw game.

Still weak compared to what it was in SC4 lol. But its still nice to know.

Both side and back throws should give good oki.

Looks like you can cancel GS into NSS to make some moves safe:

Tried it myself with 33B6 and 66A6 and managed to block and JG a generic 2A like in the video. Seems like there is a small window during GS where this "cancel" is possible.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Edit: You can do this with 66K6 as well but most 2As will still stop it clean. You can block/JG slower responses to GS transitions like Pat 236AB however.

33B6 into the B+K cancel is also safe to aPat CE (though the record function makes it impossible to do frame 1 CEs so maybe not lol) :P

In about 30 mins I was able to get it about 60% or more. So people who actually play NM regularly and practice this should have no problem with it.

It's really easy once you get used to it and you can do stuff like b+kB+K to bypass the timing somewhat.

Really cool find, it reminds me of 2G for NM in SC2. Question though Partisan, how did you find that video? The youtube channel has it unlisted and such.

I played around with the GS-NSS cancel and it isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. Though I personally needed to map a separate button for the B+K input and double tap it. See what works for you.

It definitely makes 33B6 more useful since it becomes a safeish whiff punisher.

I played around with the GS-NSS cancel and it isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. Though I personally needed to map a separate button for the B+K input and double tap it. See what works for you.

It definitely makes 33B6 more useful since it becomes a safeish whiff punisher.
Yeah i had to set B+K to a trigger button aswell in order to double tap without input errors. Im having a little trouble with the timing tho, I can only get it about 50% of the time :(

Some more tests provided this info:

- 33B6 B+K cancel = -8 or -9 (couldn't find a move to test this number)
- 66K6 B+K cancel = -13
- 1A6 B+K cancel = -20 or -21
- 1[A]6 B+K cancel = still pointless as far as my testing went
- 66A6 B+K cancel = -8 or -9 (same case as above)

Any moves slower than the speeds above were able to be blocked when performing the cancel correctly.

Some more tests provided this info:

- 33B6 B+K cancel = -8 or -9 (couldn't find a move to test this number)
- 66K6 B+K cancel = -13
- 1A6 B+K cancel = -20 or -21
- 1[A]6 B+K cancel = still pointless as far as my testing went
- 66A6 B+K cancel = -8 or -9 (same case as above)

Any moves slower than the speeds above were able to be blocked when performing the cancel correctly.

Does this mean we might see you pick this character up?

Tested again this morning : It's really not that hard !

I could block aPat CE playing Night vs ALpha CPU set to A1 : block all A2 : Attack CE
AND
I could block aPat CE with CPU setup up to A1 : block all A2 : Record 1 (CE).

Well, it definitively feels safe lol.

EDIT : Using Night 33B6 btw.

Back