Not So Fast! (General GI Discussion)

Thanks for updating the guide (whenever you get to it) then! Also one further question I've got; Did they remove the "red impact?"

I don't know if you've played soul calibur 4 but, I mained darth vader and sometimes when I GI'd it'd turn red and make a loud noise. I'm pretty sure you could GI fire attacks, but I've never seen this happen in SCV did they remove this
mechanic?

Thanks for updating the guide (whenever you get to it) then! Also one further question I've got; Did they remove the "red impact?"

I don't know if you've played soul calibur 4 but, I mained darth vader and sometimes when I GI'd it'd turn red and make a loud noise. I'm pretty sure you could GI fire attacks, but I've never seen this happen in SCV did they remove this
mechanic?

You are talking about Just Impacts. Yes they are gone, replaced with something called Just Guard. To perform a Just Guard, you tap G as your opponent's attack is about to hit you.

Yea Just Impacts that's them! Such a shame they removed the sc4 guarding system...to be quite honest I hate Just Guards, they hurt my hands so I stopped doing them. Also this flawed system just makes me mad, every single char should've had a GI that doesn't consume meter. Especially Ezio (in which i would say is the most meter dependent char).

Honestly, "Free Guard Impacts", as I call them since they don't consume Brave, are one of the reasons I play Cervantes. Many characters have GI moves such as Siegfried's :6::6::A:, Voldo's BS :B+K:, and Cervy's own :3::3::A:, but his :A+B: and :B+K: are unique to him; no other characters have moves like that*. Being free from using no Brave meter is critical to SCV, but these sneaky pirate moves have been one of the reasons I've loved Cervantes since Dreamcast Calibur. Not only do they interrupt your opponent's flow, but they have a mind-screw factor to them as well. It's like saying, "I just read you." wordlessly, with a super cool jump kick or gunshot to the face. It's not just, "Oh, he timed a GI correctly," since they are dependent on being horizontal or vertical. It's like, "Holy crap, he knew exactly what I was going to do!"

*After a bit of thought, maybe Tira's :B+K: could be considered slightly similar to Cervantes. But still not the same.

Call me childish, but I find landing a :A+B: or :B+K: to be extremely satisfying, especially during an intense match. I just totally changed the momentum of the match and looked like a boss doing it. But then again, I'm still a n00b when it comes to real competitive play.

So far one of my favorite moments with it was :B+K:'ing the last hit of Pyrrha's :6::6::B+K::A::B:, since I had never tested it and it just came out like eye-of-the-tiger instinct. I had never done it before, but I was very familiar with the Shield Rush move from being a Sophitia player during SC and SCIII.

Thanks to Moldredd for all his work compiling the character-specific lists. Cervantes players, don't just be a Cervantes player. Be a pirate. GI that crap.

God, and I considered my self good at Cervantes. I don't use a single one of these on purpose!

I'm probably still fine and good, but it makes me feel lesser.

God, and I considered my self good at Cervantes. I don't use a single one of these on purpose!

I'm probably still fine and good, but it makes me feel lesser.

I used to use them from day 1, but JGing has made me really rusty at it.

Are you referring to Cervantes? If so it's because it's a special GI, best example would be Raphael, he has a move that lets him teleport. When Cervantes does 4 A+B
I don't understand why it's listed as a GI because it doesn't seem like any properties of anything change when he does it to an oncoming attack. Raph's teleport at least only occurred if an attack hit him during its activation frames, so that made sense to call it a GI. Cervantes' backwards teleport happens either way unless he gets hit out of it.

Last edited:
Back