Official Natsu 1.02 Patch Changes Discussion

I actually enjoy using 6KA and delaying A as long as possible. It usually interrupts the counter attack. It does absolutely nothing but annoy your opponent. lmao.

That's fun I never dare to use the delayed breakers, fear being blown up. So what's the deal with -6 on block, what does it exactly offer me?

If u don't know how to read or fully understand frames it is ok dont be scared to ask.

here is the main concept:

when you press a button or perform an attack ,the game uses an animation like kicking or whatever attack/special move u did.
Its move has a point in the animation that becomes active as an attack , it is called impact frame a single A attack becomes active at the 10th frame, so we call it i10 meaniing that the impact of the hit comes at the 10th frame.
the outcome of each attack is either to:
1)-be interupted by an enemy attack (which means that the enemy scores a counte hit on you,and your move doesn't make it)
2)-whiff(your attack hits thin air, meaning u are exposed for the recovery of the move or the enemy cleverly avoid the impact of the attack , for example ducking under a high attack)
3)-connects with the enemy and is either
a)blocked by him , or
b)You scored a hit on him.

Now there are some things before we go deeper:
-when an enemy blocks an attack he gets to a block animation(an impact ,like steping a bit back,sparks flying on the air,it depends on the move) ,YOUR char goes to a recovery animation like sheathing the sword back to his belt or steping his feet down after a kick.Both of them depending on the move that got blocked have a preseted animation some times the attacker takes less to recover from his attack , sometimes the person that blocked recovers faster.

This is how we look how a person has advancement after a blocked move or not.
Some examples: You attacked with a move that needs 4 frams to recover after it was blocked,but the defender needs 10 frames to recover from his block-animation(because the attack was very powerfull mostly) that means that the attacker recovers 6 frames faster than the defender.
So the attacker is at +6 frames ,which translates as:" when the attacker recovers the defender needs another 6 frames before the game accepts any of his input" ,which means that u can start to reattack faster than him and his moves will be delayed becasuse he hasnt recover yet , so if u both press A again which is an i10 attack(become active at 10th frame) u will win the exchange since he will start his attack 6 frames after you.

Now dont forget that some moves on block get minus (-4 for example) that means the defender is ready and has the control of his character faster than the attacker.
So a -4 move on block( it is important to remeber it is on block the -4) means the defender will probably win the exchange.

-Lets go now to the on hit properties which is exaclty the same thing, when a move hits an enemy and it is not blocked, the oponent gets a hit animation(it can be anything even a stun) now depending on how fast the attacker that hit ,and the one taking the attack recovers we have again some frame advantage/disadvantage(most hit moves give at least + frames,90% of all moves in the game).

lets take now 2bA : it is -6 on block , +4 on hit , i8.
that means if the oponent defends he gets 6 frames adva., if he takes hitted u get +4 frames adva. the i8 means that it becomes active at the 8th frame of the animation, thats 8 frames after u input the move.

Also take note that even though you might have advancement a move that TC(crouches) will almost always win over a high move no matter the + u get from before.Same goes with other realted staff.
As an aditional note lookat this : PO A is unblockable after a blocked B,[K] becuase the [K] makes the attacker at +8 frames, while PO A come out at the 7th frame ,so since the enemy hasn't yet the control of his char,he cant block.Same with PO B ,2bA.

PS: this is a simple explanation for further info u can look around.
natsu frame data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag4-AFwttkImdDZHOVN4VEVfeFFJaEEyRmtHS2FLWUE#gid=0

Sorry for 2nd post on the row.

remember that u dont have always to attack after a move , a wise choice after a move with - frames is to guard.
the faster move in the game is i8 frames. ANd most chars has only an i10 or i11, so as long u are less that -10 frames u are safe, becuase the games allows you to block.

EDIT: damn , u posted before i write my reply,here is some extra info:

remember how frame works.

a move the gives you -13 on block means that for 13 frames u dont have the control of your char, which means if the enemy uses a i14 move u can block it, but if he uses a faste attack like i12 u cant block it, becuase u haven't yet the control of your char.

Hey thanks for all that!
Actually my question was more in relation to figuring out about Natsu's pressure tools.
If something is -6 on block and I use a +4 that's an i8 alright, so I can keep alternating and fishing for a knockdown/counter with those two?
1. It seems to me as though the general idea of the character would be to shut down the opponent's game.
- For this, 2bA, A6, A:6, and 2B,A seem to be the best tools, alongside ch 2k as her apparently fastest kick. (Anything else to use?)

2. Given I'm correct, I'd be trying to play her as a rushdown/shutdown character, as most of her combos were taken away so why not just thrive on not allowing the opponent to do what they want and THEN capitalize, right?
So I'd like to understand her move sets better:
- what's a safe tool for getting in their face, 66B and A+B were mentioned. I'll ask about these later when I understand the rest of her moves and their placement.
- what's a counter tool (I understand that 66B and the above horizontals are pretty good for this, and wrk)
- what's a tool against people who back away (44A I think it was? Fan dance or what...)
- what's her safest option in getting in and staying in on characters like 'Roth, 'Mare and 'Fried, etc (Seems like 66B again but it seems to have a lot of pushback so it's not exactly about staying in on block, right?)
- And finally, how does PO fit into all this? If I understand correctly PO is not exactly an in-the-face tool, because it isn't quite a frame advantage to enter po when blocked, right? So it's more about the oki?

Interesting question, in SC IV the mid part of A:6 was i16 while A6 was i15, but i haven't tested it in SCV..

Yeah, its hard to tell if there's a difference by just looking at it.
I know someone mentioned having a way to check frames a few pages back so I thought I'd just throw it up there.

I could do some testing later in between the matches going on today and see what I can find out on my own.

Basically, if you're at -6 on block after an attack, then the opponent will have 6 more frames to do whatever before you can. If that means he wants to grab you (i17), then you have 11 frames to stop him or avoid it. AA (i10) will thus beat it out 1 frame before his grab occurs.

Alternatively, same situation (-6 on block), if the opponent does something fast...let's say, a Natsu AA (i10), then how many frames do you have to do something before the hits comes out?
-6 + 10 = ?
4 frames

So Natsu's fastest move is i8 thus against people who have no move faster than i13 the strategy I thought of, works. Who are these characters?

So Natsu's fastest move is i8 thus against people who have no move faster than i13 the strategy I thought of, works. Who are these characters?
It's just that the way you word it sounds awkward. When determining frame advantage, you should only have one number that's + or - and the other two in question would be one "impact in x frames" for one character and one for the other.

Not really.
There's only like two characters with no moves faster than i13. I actually think Ast is the only one. Other one I thought was Sieg but I'm not sure.

And you can't think like this. Natsu's i8s are both high. They can be ducked under and whiff punished.
They're also almost entirely worthless damage and frames wise.

You're looking for frame traps, and unfortunately you won't find many of them. The only genuine one I know of is B[K]4 PO A:6. Anyone who knows the K is high though will duck it. Most moves put you at a disadvantage on block, so you're not going to find any guaranteed follow ups that will beat out someone's retaliaton attempt. And the one frame trap that does exist that I mentioned above, is super-telegraphed. They have like 40 frames to duck the K.

Your best bet is toblock when you're at disadvantage, and do mostly safe moves.

Now Natsu does have the PO BE, that you can use on block to teleport through a punisher. That's sorta like a frame trap, though it's really more of a frame trick.

Good news.
Before the patch some opponents could tech the last hit of CE when it was performed after moves like 4B or 3KKK.
Not anymore, thanks to the patch.

Edit: This makes 4B a viable throw whiff punisher again... if you have meter.

Good news.
Before the patch some opponents could tech the last hit of CE when it was performed after moves like 4B or 3KKK.
Not anymore, thanks to the patch.

Edit: This makes 4B a viable throw whiff punisher again... if you have meter.

I use 4B against Ast's that like to use throw mix ups.
You have time to 4B after he picks you up off the ground. Only problem is it gets beat out and gives him him a CH off of that one move. I think 6B?
Meh, 50/50. Works for me most of the time though.

Outside of that I like never use the move.

He's talking about after ducking a close high or throw. Like if someone is predictable enough that you duck his throw, then do 4B to knock them down for the combo. 4B as a move to throw out there not knowing if they're going to attack or if the move itself is even going to reach, is pretty bad.

He's talking about after ducking a close high or throw. Like if someone is predictable enough that you duck his throw, then do 4B to knock them down for the combo. 4B as a move to throw out there not knowing if they're going to attack or if the move itself is even going to reach, is pretty bad.

Thats what I assumed.
I usually forget it exists. Its for the best.

Back