Pascuzzi's Blog Posts About Nothing

Hey, everyone. It's been a while. Here's some more elemental-themed Leixia 1P recolors, a couple 3Ps, and a couple of recreations, one of which I just messed around with.

leixia-dark-resize-png.40806
leixia-earth-resize-png.40807
leixia-light-resize-png.40808
leixia-sky-resize-png.40809
cervantes-3p-ninja-resize-png.40810

I remember reading somewhere that Cervantes previously trained with ninjas, so that's where I got the idea for this 3P. The idea of seeing the cast as alternate versions of themselves is an appealing thought in itself.

Notes:
- Two circle stickers, one on the back, the other on the front, and a square sticker on the shoulder color the right side of the robe white. Here, I wanted it to look like Cerv was wearing the robe over one shoulder.
- I further pushed the over-one-shoulder look mentioned above with the Pat 2P belt. The emblazoned side is colored and patterned similarly to the left side of the robe so that it would seem as if they came from the same article of clothing.
- Zigzag patterns on the pants give texture.
raphael-3p-pirate-resize-png.40811

I never read anywhere that Raphael was any kind of sailor, but I thought pirate-themed attire would suit his swashbuckling rapier style very well.

Notes:
- The hat is comprised of a Tyrolean Hat, an inverted Turtle Shell, and feathers.
- A buttoned pocket sticker recreates the lapels and placket of the coat.
- A star sticker adds detail around the collar.
- A zigzag pattern textures the shirt and socks.
donnel-resize-png.40812

Underdogs and unlikely heroes are one of my all-time favorite character types, if not my all-time favorite character type, period, so Donnel as a subject was a natural choice for me.

Notes:
- The pan hat is made of a Fez and two helmet ornaments, one on the left and right sides each. A camo pattern on the Fez recreates tarnish, while a bullet wound sticker is used as a dent.
- The shirt and skirt combination makes a tunic. Again, zigzag patterns on both yield texture.
- A camo pattern on the boots was used to create details that make the leather appear worn.
sonichu-resize-png.40813

A mess-around design from the request thread.

Notes:
- hair is two pairs of bat wings
- eye area and tips of ears colored with inverted heart stickers

Attachments

• Leixia Dark Resize.png
    Leixia Dark Resize.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 2,207
  • Leixia Earth Resize.png
    Leixia Earth Resize.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 2,338
  • Leixia Light Resize.png
    Leixia Light Resize.png
    319.6 KB · Views: 2,147
  • Leixia Sky Resize.png
    Leixia Sky Resize.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 2,144
  • Cervantes 3P Ninja Resize.png
    Cervantes 3P Ninja Resize.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 2,253
  • Raphael 3P Pirate Resize.png
    Raphael 3P Pirate Resize.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Donnel Resize.png
    Donnel Resize.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 2,719
  • Sonichu Resize.png
    Sonichu Resize.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 2,352
(07/18/24)

Your strongest batch of characters in a while. I'll focus on the original costumes since that's more fun for me.

Recolors: Dat's alotta Leixia love. I like light Leixia the most. She makes for a pretty hot blonde. Dark Leixia. Now if only she were as much a threat on the tournament scene as Dark Phoenix was for MvC3.

Ninja Cervantes: very fresh (though improbable) take on a classic character. With its bright colors, ornamentation, and flowing sashes, the overall design actually makes for a better monk/priest/exorcist than a ninja. The red & yellow color scheme is a clear nod to the Tibetan monks' garb, but the athletic pants and light shin armor show that this zombie pirate monk is ready for some action. The feather pin, despite its small size, really pulls its weight. It amplifies the asymmetry, adds detail, and builds character. I would consider using that third SpecEq slot to add a pin to the brooch with a horn or to add a jewel with a halo. I would also try slapping a large calligraphy sticker (probably by axis so that it wraps around) on the top's white section for extra mystic powaah. You might also try darkening the grey border on the top's red section to increase contrast with the white section and also to match the black on the belt, gloves, and weapons. If you're short on motif sticker slots, you can always replace the white square on the chest with a giant number one sticker. Fills up space nicely. With a few alterations, he's sure to be a masteriece.

Pirate Raph: Very clever constructions. The turtle shell is merged very naturally with the hat, and the batwings merge well with the shoulder armor to form the short cape. As I always like to say, connecting disparate parts via SpecEq, coloring, or real equipment is the hallmark of an expert CaS artist. I only wish the design had some more detail. I'd look into increasing the color contrast and adding some gaudy patterns. Not to the belt though. The leafy pattern doesn't agree with my tastes. Try matching it to the color of his shoes instead. That white/gold fancy pattern might look good on the top and waist cloth. The original's low contrast black/green scheme works because of the high detailing and layering, but you'll have to take some liberties to translate this costume into CaS. For a start, I'd definitely whiten his undershirt and stockings. This'll highlight the britches + stocking combo, which is integral to the antique feel of the design. Consider changing the entire color scheme to something brighter. Maybe look to his pre-vampire days for inspiration.

Donnel: Nice tunic construction too. The sticker work is slightly "flat" looking, but he's pretty close to the original. Nice touch how you roughed up the design with patch stickers and camo patterns. Like a young Don Quixote.

Sonichu:Kill it! Kill it with FIYAA!!!

That Talim looks great!
Thanks. I actually have two Talim designs, but I'm guessing you're talking about the one in the vest and pants. Either way, I'm happy with the way both of those came out.
So, I went into the editor and ran through your recommendations. Some of them worked quite nicely, some didn't suit my taste, and some even led to other ideas altogether.

First off, Cervantes' color scheme is actually taken from his 1P. I can understand why you would think this design is monk-themed, but I actually had nothing of the sort in mind while designing it. This is probably due to the color scheme used; ninja are rarely depicted in brightly-colored clothing with ornate patterns. On the topic of the color scheme, I tried your recommendation of darkening the grey borders (which is actually a desaturated purple), then I tried color-matching the white part of the robe to the borders. I found that doing this reinforces the idea of a layered top that I was shooting for. I'm not sure yet whether I want to make it white or purple, so I may show that in a later post. As far as other recommendations go, all four sticker slots on the robe are taken, so using a 1 sticker over a square makes no difference, but I did add a Crescent Moon to the pin construction. That may also be shown in a later post.

I used a lot more of your recommendations on my Raphael 3P design. The coat is now a darker, slightly more saturated purple and features the ornate European stripe pattern, with the stripe itself in gold and the design only just distinguishable from its background. The shoes and belt are have both been changed to a redder brown. The belt itself uses the tiger stripe pattern, with both component colors matching to take advantage of the pattern's gritty texture. The shirt and stockings are both lightened. The shirt is now a lighter blue, while the stockings are a lighter grey with the ornate European stripe pattern. I may be showing this updated design in a later post, as well.

Whatever you decide to do, ninja Cervy's still one of my personal favorite 3P's. On another note, I can't help but feel slightly distracted by Cervy's sporting the Cpt. Fabulous haircut. Raph seems to have undergone some significant changes, so I'd really like to see what you've done with him, but it's cool if you're ready to move on.

Raph seems to have undergone some significant changes, so I'd really like to see what you've done with him, but it's cool if you're ready to move on.
No worries, I'll be posting my updates to both with the next set. It's just that I just like to post my new material all at once.

Lotta cool stuff going on in this board, lately. Thought I'd check in so that people don't think I've left and forget about me.

First, updates to Cervantes ninja and Raphael pirate 3Ps. Most changes to them were discussed two posts above.
UPDATED 9/30/14
Cervantes 3P Ninja.png
UPDATED 9/30/14
Raphael 3P Pirate.png

- In addition to the changes discussed above, a tie has been added.
Next, new content. summer is winding down here in the northern hemisphere, so in remembrance of the season past, I decided to make a summer set for a few characters. I took most of my cues for this set from modern fashion and style principles, so it's markedly different from anything else I've done.
Leixia 3P Summer.png

Leixia is on the younger side of the cast's age spectrum. Taking that and her personality into account, I went for a youthful, playful, hypebeast-y style.

Notes:
- The cap is composed of a Chinese Hat and a pair of flattened Rabbit Ears.
- The hair extensions are a pair of Beetle Horns and a pair of Demon Horns.
- The tanktop was colored using the pattern with three colors that fade into each other.
- On the tanktop, two ornate butterfly stickers are layered on top of each other. This helps the design pop out against the like-colored background.
- The shorts were given a stripe pattern to simulate the texture of a stiff fabric, such as chino.
- A rotated button pocket sticker placed by axis colors the sidewalls on each shoe.
- Number 8 stickers mark the toecaps on each shoe.
Patroklos 3P Summer.png

Patroklos is also on the younger side of the age spectrum, but in my opinion, his arrogant personality lends itself to a preppy style better than anything else.

Notes:
- A stripe pattern gives the polo shirt its texture.
- Buttoned pocket stickers on the shoes add a differently colored section. I was going for boat shoes, here.
Pyrrha 3P Summer.png

Okay, all of the subject characters are young. Pyrrha is notorious for her "innocent" personality; it's like something taken from the female lead of an anime. In keeping with that, I gave her a style that revolved around a light summer dress.

Notes:
- The dress is the only complicated part of this design. It's a combination of the tanktop from Basic Clothes and the Medium Skirt, with the break between them hidden by the Training Belt.
- On both the tanktop and the Medium Skirt, an inverted denim pocket sticker creates a brown vertical strip. A white square is layered on top of that sticker.
- Further layering on the back features an inverted buttoned pocket sticker in light purple. On the skirt, an inverted denim pocket sticker was used instead. On both the tanktop and the skirt, a number 1 sticker was used to fill in everything except the lateral borders of both the light purple buttoned and pocket stickers with white.
- A gingham pattern at minimal size on the bow helps it blend in texture-wise with the band going around the hat.

Nice updates! I especially like how you brightened up Raph. The new 3P's are intriguing. Summer Leixia's my favorite. Very much the same bubbly, girly girl-type personality. Great shirt design. Bright and cheesy like a middle-schooler in Aeropostale. The detailing is superb on the shoes too. The pictures don't do them justice. The hair extensions are a neat trick too. I'd just angle them inwards a bit so that they look less floaty and clip less. Summer Patsy is also very much in character, i.e. douchey. Cool touch with that lion logo on the polo. Looks kinda like the Burberry logo from afar. I woulda given the sweater a pattern to increase the preppiness. Maybe Fair Isle or stripe. Pyrrah 3P is appropriately feminine and reserved. Smooth how you connected the tank and the skirt via patterns/stickers. I would consider coloring the shawl differently, but I do really like that lil' pouch you created with the gun SpecEq. For the mysterious, badass look you could try visoring her eyes with some feathers of strength. Who knows. It might take her design to new angles. Anyways, an impressive foray into modern fashion to be sure. And when you have time, I'd really like some feedback on my work from you. Kinda missin' that harsh, critical eye of yours. Best of luck.

Got some pictures of the shoes from different angles for your viewing pleasure.
Leixia 3P Summer Detail Shoes.png
Also got a closer picture of Pat's sweater. It actually does have a pattern: the tiger stripe. I could see what an actual pattern, as opposed to just a texture, could do for it, though.
Patroklos 3P Summer Detail Sweater.png
As for Pyrrha, I originally had the shawl colored white with brown detail, but it can't achieve a white enough white, so I inverted the color scheme. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the Feathers of Strength. I'm assuming you don't mean something like this.
Pyrrha 3P Summer Question Feathers of Strength.png

Last edited:
Three new designs, tonight: a recolor, an original, and a (stupid) recreation.
Leixia 2P Christmas Resize.png

If you couldn't tell from all the Leixia recolors, I've been playing a lot more Leixia, these days. Holiday season being my absolute favorite time of year, I couldn't not make this recolor.

Creation notes:
- check the candy cane hilt and the gold ball ornament
Sierra Resize.png

Trying to get back into the swing of making CaS, like when I first got SCV, I decided to use equipment combinations and special techniques as a basis for creating new characters, as opposed to character backstory. Here, the idea was to use Leixia's 2P top as the chestpiece for an armored design, so I decided to take an "arctic knight" direction. In the end, I can't shake the feeling that someone already did this. I also feel like I only succeeded in making totally-not-Hilde.

Creation notes:
- body proportion modifications were used to balance the bulk of the armor with the lightness of the top

- There's actually makeup in one of my designs, for a change! This one has eyeshadow (I think it's eyeshadow) to help the eyes stand out a bit.

- The pickaxe construction on the left hip consists of a scroll and two helmet ornaments.
Yoshi Resize.png

There are a lot of other people on this subforum who are way better at making these kinds of designs than I am. Nevertheless, I did what I thought I could do and just had fun with it.

Creation notes:
- Two Hearts of slightly different sizes form the eyes and eyelids.
- A ball forms the nose.
- A battle mask forms the jaw, with a red number 0 sticker used for the mouth.
- Why Aeon? Moves like SW BE and CE make for a nice reference to Yoshi's Super Dragon form, as seen in Smash.
- The face makes me laugh every time.
haha

I really like Sierra. I've seen winter-themed stuff before, but not arctic knights. The fur-lined hood, boots, and pick-axe all contribute to the theme. The armor's neatly balanced with the outfit too. Subtle touch of makeup plays its part. The biting winter wind's supposed to redden the cheeks a bit. Maybe even take it further with a red, runny nose complete with bump-mapped snot. I'd consider adding a splash of color contrast. Like red/orange hair to break up the white/brown/blue. Overall very fun and unique.

Three new designs, tonight: a recolor, an original, and a (stupid) recreation.
View attachment 42557
If you couldn't tell from all the Leixia recolors, I've been playing a lot more Leixia, these days. Holiday season being my absolute favorite time of year, I couldn't not make this recolor.

Creation notes:
- check the candy cane hilt and the gold ball ornament
View attachment 42558
Trying to get back into the swing of making CaS, like when I first got SCV, I decided to use equipment combinations and special techniques as a basis for creating new characters, as opposed to character backstory. Here, the idea was to use Leixia's 2P top as the chestpiece for an armored design, so I decided to take an "arctic knight" direction. In the end, I can't shake the feeling that someone already did this. I also feel like I only succeeded in making totally-not-Hilde.

Creation notes:
- body proportion modifications were used to balance the bulk of the armor with the lightness of the top

- There's actually makeup in one of my designs, for a change! This one has eyeshadow (I think it's eyeshadow) to help the eyes stand out a bit.

- The pickaxe construction on the left hip consists of a scroll and two helmet ornaments.
View attachment 42559
There are a lot of other people on this subforum who are way better at making these kinds of designs than I am. Nevertheless, I did what I thought I could do and just had fun with it.

Creation notes:
- Two Hearts of slightly different sizes form the eyes and eyelids.
- A ball forms the nose.
- A battle mask forms the jaw, with a red number 0 sticker used for the mouth.
- Why Aeon? Moves like SW BE and CE make for a nice reference to Yoshi's Super Dragon form, as seen in Smash.
- The face makes me laugh every time.
haha

I agree with Brucege's comments, you could have pushed the concept a bit further, but that candy cane hilt is a fresh idea and looks great.
Sierra's pickaxe is excellent as well.
Yoshi's eggs are cute, as is the face, but of course i find the body "slightly distracting" (understatement) even though you couldn't have done it much better imo.

Bravo for this breath of fresh air !

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll see how your recommendations look, later.

I've got three more designs to share: one semi-recreation, one inanimate object, and something for the "fabulous" people out there.
Mago Negro Resize.png

This design was inspired by a WWE 2K14 CaW for a Black Mage which, instead of a wizard's hat, a sombrero was used. Spanish speakers, feel free to correct my translation of "Black Mage," if need be. This was the best I could do with Google and high school Spanish classes that I took years ago.

Creation notes:
- The sombrero consists of a Turtle Shell and a Sorceress' Hat.
- A buttoned pocket sticker was used to create the vest underneath the poncho. The color bleed is intentional; it adds a bit of dirt to the design.
- A Ball colored 0:42,31 covers the head. The eyes are the inner surfaces of a pair of horns.
Spam Musubi Resize.png

Just a little something to use on people who complain about spam. If you don't know what spam musubi is, compare to this:
spam-musubi.jpg

It's exactly what it looks like: a slice of fried spam and a block of white rice bound together by nori.

Creation notes Recipe summary:
- Three Duffel Bags: one big one for the white rice, a thinner one for the spam, and a short one for the nori
MagiFabulous Resize.png

I'm ashamed it took me this long to make a Viola-style CaS for Captain Fabulous, but here we are. Enjoy, I guess.

Creation notes:
- Two Turtle Shells, one on each side of the hips, comprise the individual-leg skirt things.
- A number 0 sticker on each boot was used for the V designs.
- An inverted triangle colored to match the skin was layered over the top part of the inverted star sticker to eliminate a section of that sticker.

I actually lol'd when i saw the BM. Lil' bit of FF affirmative action. The poncho, sombrero, and flared jeans give that Mexican vibe while staying faithful to the original BM design. Couple suggestions. The vest isn't really visible, so I'd use the sticker slots to create sleeve borders instead. Either block off a pattern on the arms w/ square stickers or simply applying some reset zipper stickers on the sleeves. As a general plan, I'd have the sleeves be white and the borders be blue for increased color contrast. Then I'd just the rest of the stickers to grime up poncho, pants, etc. I'd also shrink down the pant stripes a bit. All matter of opinion though. This one's actually a favorite of mine.

Dat spam musubi. Really hits the spot. It might actually work to give it huge, muscular limbs for the macho spam musubi.

"Homo Magi Fabula Magica." Brilliant. Cool star sticker/triangle combo as a translucent top. I may have to try that out on female CaS sometime. Interesting use of the turtle shells for the troll pants. Very magical girl. Love that random heart cut-out on the lower back lol.

Hey, thanks for the reviews. Sorry I didn't get back to you until now.

Here are some more designs I've been working on in the past few months.
Marina Liteyears.png

If you've never played Mischief Makers (titled Yuke Yuke Troublemakers in Japan) for the N64, I highly recommend it.

Creation notes:
- Hat is color-sectioned by a white hexagon sticker at full size.
Duke Nukem.png

Instead of a straight 1:1 recreation, I decided to give my design a little twist: what if Duke went back in time to SC's setting? This design is the result of that little thought experiment.

Creation notes:
- The eyes are blocked out by flattened demonic horns.

- The design on the belt is supposed to be a nuclear symbol. Sorry, best I could come up with.

- Offhand grenade works exceptionally well with GS K BE.
Pyrrha 3P Oathbearer.png

The thought behind this design was if Pyrrha was the one who had ended up working for Graf Dumas instead of her brother. I don't call it a 3P, because it technically isn't, but I approximated the body model as best I could, then built off of that, so for our purposes, it's practically the same thing.

Creation notes:
- The very bottom of the short Chinese robe clips through the Pareo, so I tried to use a stripe to blend it in. In retrospect, I don't know why I just didn't color match the robe to the Pareo. I would think I had a reason not to, but I can be pretty absent-minded sometimes.
Shovel Knight.png

another character from another game I highly recommend

Creation notes:
- The pauldron edges were gilded with a stripe pattern.
- A Ball obscures the head and neck.
- Shovels and giant swords are quite different, but I thought Sieg's ducking throw fit Shovel Knight really well.
The Baz.png

This character was originally a cut concept from Street Fighter, but was popularized by the Best Friends Zaibatsu, the creators of the Two Best Friends Play series on YouTube. The Baz has since found his way into a few indie games, including Divekick and Shovel Knight.

Creation notes:
- Each eye is covered by a ring.
Generic Saiyan.png

This design was made around the time Dragonball Xenoverse was released. At the time, this video was stuck in my head, as well.

Creation notes:
- The scouter is a flattened, widened Hand Gun.
Mary.png

I've been meaning to make a tabard+armor design for quite some time, but couldn't really figure out how until recently.

Creation notes:
- The shoulder armor is a scale-patterned Turtle Shell reduced in size.
- I minimized the chest, because I thought having breasts visibly bounce while covered by rigid plate armor didn't make sense. Sorry, lads. You'll have to get your kicks somewhere else.
Jean.png

Just like the design above, this design was the result of wanting to make a tabard+armor design. This approach uses a tunic in place of a Chinese-style robe.

Creation notes:
- The bulkiness of the tunic allows it to pair extremely well with armor. This design doesn't even have a built body type. The tunic is just that bulky.
- The tunic is detailed with a buttoned pocket sticker and a max size square sticker on top of that. The tunic itself is pattered with one of the European flower patterns, with both pattern colors within 1-2 shades of each other.
- A bow and a shield on the same hand may seem a little odd at first, but it actually kind of works with 44 B+K and CE.
Josie Rizal.png

Had to do it.
Being a Filipino with a critical, yet eager appreciation for my heritage, I'm always interested in representations of Filipinos and the Philippines in media.

- For those not in the know, Josie Rizal has recently been the subject of controversy in the Philippines. I believe the issue comes down to the fact that she is named after José Rizal, a national hero. Actually, it's more like he's THE national hero. In American terms, it'd pretty much be like if Tekken came out with a cutesy, girly-girl character dressed in stars and stripes named Georgia Washington. Of course, this offended a small subset of the population with more patriotic sensibilities, but in addition, having the character so closely named after José Rizal set up the false expectation that Josie was intended to be a modern-day genderbend of the national hero. Therefore, the lack of common attributes and mannerisms between Josie and José led some people to believe that Tekken Project did shoddy research.

- What I think is really going on is that Josie's connection to the national hero was only ever intended to go as far as the name. Her character was never intended to be a reflection of José Rizal. In fact, I don't think she was ever intended to be a summary of Filipino culture in the first place. She is just a character who happens to be a Filipina. Admittedly, I don't have much fact to back this explanation, but it makes the most sense to me. Besides, I think characters who are defined by more than their heritage are more interesting and better written than characters who are nothing more than a collection of stereotypes.

- Personally, I have my criticisms about the design, but there isn't anything that I take offense to. I just think it looks a little bit weird. An old acquaintance of mine from college said it best: "What were they shooting for, homeless Snow White?" Nevertheless, I am excited about this character, enough to want to get into Tekken after years of avoiding their games.

Creation notes:
- Denim pocket stickers on both the Tight Shirt and the tube top blend the two articles of clothing together.

- The red sections on the skirt are from two lotus flower stickers.

- Since the tube top is underwear, it cannot take a flat color from the red and orange parts of the spectrum. This includes browns. So, I approximated the skin color via the dithering technique: I applied a minimum-size checker pattern, colored half the squares yellow and the other half the reddest color from the purple end of the spectrum, then adjusted both until the skin color was closely matched.
Hambie.png

created for the current food-themed one-shot contest

Ingredients:
- Sesame Seed Bun Hat
- Ketchup Hair, Makeup, and Lipstick
- Pickle Earrings
- Bacon Scarf
- Fried Egg Necklace - samurai helmet ornament + adjusted Ball
- Ground Beef Patty Chest (tiger stripe pattern with matching colors) with Cheese Ribbons
- Red Onion and Tomato Abdomen
- Lettuce Skirt
- Ground Beef Stockings with Cheese Ribbons and Lace
- Bread Bun Shoes
- French Fry Club

Last edited:
allow me to just fanboy all over that Shovel Knight for a second there because DAMN SON.
SAME
You managed to keep the feel of the character when you put him in a realistic sized body, and for that you have my love good sir.
Other than that, I really liked the detailing you put into Alt Pyrrha, especially in the the chestpiece and the leggings. The handgun as the scouter was pretty brilliant, too.

Very nice work. I also agree with your spiel on Josie. As a matter of fact, it looks like they're trying for a down-home Philipina kinda look rather than playing to stereotypes, which I respect. Harada seems to be handling the criticism professionally too. Looks like he's still waiting for word from the NCCA. The Tekken Team's always been on top of its multicultural game. Xiaoyu, for example, was handled pretty well. She's still a senseless moeblob, but at least she isn't working for a restaurant. Like seriously. You'd think all of China works in restaurants judging by most of J-media. They also avoided the horribly accented, sultry, conniving Dragon lady trope which is typical for Chinese women in anime (e.g. Shampoo, Shenhua). Did you know this trope originated from Japanese soldiers' interactions with comfort women in WW2? Fucked up.

dat Shovel Knight tho

giphy.gif

Also, interesting note on Josie. I had no idea she was controversial in the country she's meant to celebrate. It's like Juri in SSF4 all over again.

Back