Patroklos Video Thread

44A is only good when you have significant frame advantage, and you're at point blank range. Otherwise you're either gonna whiff or get interrupted.

If I'm close enough to land 44A, I'm close enough for much faster and more reliable moves.

And like I said, If you don't have 1 bar of meter, the combo potential is pretty meh.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried this move up close and the opponent just back steps and then I get whiff punished.

In my experience, this move gets me killed more often than it does damage.

Is it useful? Sure. Is it overestimated? definitely.

I used to think like this. There are still plenty of "good" moves left that you can still mix them up. There is no point in using "less-than-ideal" moves IMO. And yes, even though pat players don't use 4B, when i see it I almost always either sidestep it or duck. It is extremely telegraphed, and the reward you get from the move just isn't worth it. Like I said, 66B is better in every way imaginable, and even though it's i21, people don't seem to step it very often. A+B is telegraphed as shit as well, but at least it's an AGI, not to mention if you use the A+B (A+B) glitch, the guard damage FAR surpasses that of 4B.

Like I said I used to have the mindset of "use crappy moves to be unpredictable". It sounds good in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work like you want it to.

Well to the 'I almost always' how often do you really see 4b and more importantly how is it used. Because of its range people I've seen use it, use it well outside of 44a range. The thing with Pat is outside of a certain range the only thing that can really hurt you are very linear so its always safest to step at a certain distance. Honestly when Pat goes into a TC its almost always best to step which is why you want to use 44a to make your opponent think twice about stepping. Once you create that hesitation it sets up use of 4b but I stress you have to CREATE that hesitation.

Fighting games are about far more than just frames and theory crafting but also the human element. In short mind games. A lot of great players get wtf pwned by sucky players after playing other great players for a while for one simple fact. They get so comfortable with solid safe play they aren't used to some noob who hits buttons at times a good player would block. I've been beaten by people who I thought had good defense until I realized they just never ducked....ever. I've actually beat people who technically are way better than me quite a lot because of a tactic called 'conditioning'. Purposely loosing one match to try and create habits that I can later take advantage of. I lost one round throwing out 4b's and after they punished it hard... I kept throwing it out until they feel they can expect it. And then counter the counter they are used to.

But honestly 4b is a GREAT move to use sparingly. A well used 4b could be the difference between getting the GB one hit sooner to clinch out a round or loosing the match with their gauge still in the yellow. But its best used when you have a big life lead in a round and can afford 'eat the punish' if they guess right. If they guess wrong it is a sizeable deposite in breaking their guard in the later rounds if not you still have the life lead. But really it all depends on who you place again and how well you can read them. And like I said its about taking advantage of 'as many' skills as possible... not ALL skills. There are some skills that just aren't worth it. But I can say from experience 4b is not one of them. Use it, just don't use it often and you'll be okay.

44A is only good when you have significant frame advantage, and you're at point blank range. Otherwise you're either gonna whiff or get interrupted.

If I'm close enough to land 44A, I'm close enough for much faster and more reliable moves.

And like I said, If you don't have 1 bar of meter, the combo potential is pretty meh.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried this move up close and the opponent just back steps and then I get whiff punished.

In my experience, this move gets me killed more often than it does damage.

Is it useful? Sure. Is it overestimated? definitely.

The thing about the 'much faster and reliable' moves is they either don't do enough damage to be a threat or they are easily stepped. And most of the things that interrupt 44a are high hits which is why I like 4b as it's TC is so fast. And if you have good enough eyes to tell the different betwen 3b and 4b on reaction and 'almost always' counter it you have good enough eyes to atleast gauge when you are in BB range after CH 44a and when you can get in a 236b BE 44b.

And if your opponent is backstepping your 44a, you aren't using 66b enough. This move should strike terror in anyone facing a good Pat. It is Pat's bread and butter. This should make your opponent no want to duck or backstep and pretty much any range. I think your 44a's being backstepped is less to do with it being a limited move and more to do with you getting too predictable with your use of moves.

But it is all could be that 44a doesn't fit your playstyle. A large sail is a nice addition to a boat but putting that same sail on a car is rather silly. To make the most of some moves you have to adapt your entire play style to it not just keep laying the same and throw out a random 44a when you feel like it. Like with 4B, I hold back on the lows and the throws to take away the temptation to duck because I WANT them to feel its safe to stand there and block. And when I use 44a I try to use 4k more often at advantage if it lands I have 5 more frames to play with making 44a i15. I think Syn summed it up best, Pat has no realiable quick way to check step and people try so hard to use 44a as a solution to this and when it fails think the move is not all that it is cracked up to be. But 44a is an AWESOME move and deserves as much praise as his 66b in my opinion when used effectively.

Here's a couple of matches I had the other day on PSN. Tell me what you guys think! Also, Pat SA needs to step up! We haven't had any activity in a while :/

Stop bringing up the past. I'm talking bout here and now mo fo. And things ain't lookin too good for ya as far as are MM at NEC is concerned (that is if you show up scrub).

Here's a couple of matches I had the other day on PSN. Tell me what you guys think! Also, Pat SA needs to step up! We haven't had any activity in a while :/

You mean the 5 people worldwide that actually main this kid. Not too many ways to say "Spam 66B" :P

Any ideas why in this wideo 66A, CE combo after that JG on Natsu?)
66A is +12 on NH normally, but in specific range situations like the one in the video, the first active frame whiffs and she gets hit by the second active frame. As a result it's +13 and you can combo CE off of it.

Back