Patroklos Video Thread

RuinousBloom I think I played you yesterday. I used an eygptian looking guy with one eye.
I think it was 1-3 your favor. You got me good while I was trying to play soul and calling my gf.

What was your PSN? I'm bad with names imo. If you'd like add me for some games.

Here's a couple of matches of mine using Patroklos on ranked. I'm starting to feel extremely comfortable using him and been enjoying playing him immensely, but that also means I'm not adding as much to my game. Would love to hear what you guys think of my Pat and what I could improve. :)

Here's a couple of matches of mine using Patroklos on ranked. I'm starting to feel extremely comfortable using him and been enjoying playing him immensely, but that also means I'm not adding as much to my game. Would love to hear what you guys think of my Pat and what I could improve. :)
Thanks for the videos. Seeing other online Pats faring well is good to see.

+You appear to have zero issues with dealing with mashers. Seeing you destroy players who couldn't help pushing buttons was enjoyable watching.
+I spotted some very good use of A+B throughout. Thanks for reminding me of its importance. =]
+You make whiff/step punishment hurt. Good job.

+-You seem to have got Pat's interruption game mostly down: I'd say the one important tool you could have used more was 6BBB, otherwise you seem to know his options for both initiating it and keeping it going. On the other hand, I think in some instances you pushed too much: against more defensive players who recognised their advantage, it appeared to really cost you. Try to recognise what you can and can't get away with.

-I would have liked to see 236B used more as a punishing tool, and a little less as an interruption. It felt like you were treating 66B as one when 9/10 times it's not a guaranteed punish, as startup is 15 frames to 21. It actually cost you that last round with the aPat custom when you blocked the CE. Also, according to the guide's frame data, normal 236B is launch punishable (-20). You may need to be more careful with it in the future.

~Considering how much you used 236B BE, I find it odd that you very rarely followed it up with 2B+K or 236K for a little extra damage. Is this you taking okizeme into consideration?

All that said, again thanks for sharing. I'd say in general you can look into working on defense, but that will come with time and experience and whatnot. I hope this actually makes for useful feedback. =P

Oh wow! This is great, thank you Wyde!

+-You seem to have got Pat's interruption game mostly down: I'd say the one important tool you could have used more was 6BBB, otherwise you seem to know his options for both initiating it and keeping it going.
Yeah, with regard to 6BBB.. I never use it. And when it does come out, it's because I messed up my 66B input and will continue the string if it ends up being beneficial. But I find that every time I do get a hit confirm with the first hit, they are almost always able to block the 3rd which makes it pointless for me. I could simply be not doing the inputs quickly enough or something. But I definitely do need to reintroduce more of his basic strings into my arsenal. I almost always forget about simple AAs and BBs because I'm too focused on his other moves and I really need to improve in that area.
-I would have liked to see 236B used more as a punishing tool, and a little less as an interruption. It felt like you were treating 66B as one when 9/10 times it's not a guaranteed punish, as startup is 15 frames to 21.

I'm absolutely addicted to his 66B and try to sneak it in as often as I can. The fact that it initiates one of his most damaging and meter building combos is the reason I try to use it as whiff punishment, but I definitely see your point now that I think about how often it doesn't come out in time. And so far I've surprisingly not been demolished after whiffing 236B when using it to interrupt and, sadly, I think has caused it to become a crutch. This is probably what I need to really work on in the short term.
~Considering how much you used 236B BE, I find it odd that you very rarely followed it up with 2B+K or 236K for a little extra damage. Is this you taking okizeme into consideration?
Those work? I was under the impression they were launched too far away to follow up with anything, so I will generally rush towards them to take advantage of the oki. You'll actually notice I sprint at the opponent a LOT when they're knocked down. So many players think I'll do the low slide and so I bait out the crouch and punish with 66B. It works wonders 95% of the time, but this is sadly the extent of my okizeme game. I am probably waaay to aggressive and totally agree with you that I push too much. It blows up in my face against very patient and calculating players.

Again, thanks a bunch for the great input. This is my first Soul Calibur and so I'm still relatively slow with reactions and my defense is absolutely lacking. Especially lows.. god I'm so bad at recognizing lows. XD

Yeah, with regard to 6BBB.. I never use it. And when it does come out, it's because I messed up my 66B input and will continue the string if it ends up being beneficial. But I find that every time I do get a hit confirm with the first hit, they are almost always able to block the 3rd which makes it pointless for me. I could simply be not doing the inputs quickly enough or something. But I definitely do need to reintroduce more of his basic strings into my arsenal. I almost always forget about simple AAs and BBs because I'm too focused on his other moves and I really need to improve in that area.
Only the first two hits combo, normally, but the third hit combos if the first [or second] is a counter hit. Generally you should only follow up with the third if you can confirm the counter hit, and learning CH confirms with this move might prove valuable in your core game, especially seeing as yours is rather aggressive at the moment. It's comparatively easy since both the second and third hits can be delayed, giving you even more time to decide whether or not to complete the string. The delays can serve to keep you opponent on the back foot as well, even if it's blocked, as they will have to read either an immediate third hit, a delayed third hit, or none at all. It comes out as quickly as 236B as well (though obviously you lose out on the tech-crouch and possibly some range), so that might be a reason to think about using it.

This is my first Soul Calibur and so I'm still relatively slow with reactions and my defense is absolutely lacking. Especially lows.. god I'm so bad at recognizing lows. XD
That's perfectly normal for a player new to the series. You can only react to lows and their animations after eating a fuckton of them first.

after 236be you can do 236 236k for combo. i think you play a little too unsafe, too much jsb! it's a move that must eb used for punish, it's at least -20 on block, beware of trying jsb in open space ;)
after 1b i prefer to use 66a+b respect than jsk, it deals more damage. good work anyway, this is my 1st sc too xD

so i'm not the only one who noticed 3b jsk is a good substitute to 3b jsb! only 3 damage less but a great boost to meter :)
very good use of gi, i'd like to use it like you xD
i'd like to post some my videos too, the fact is i don't know how to capture a video during a match and upload it -.-
i know just that in online mode you can save replays. is it possible in vs mode too? because i'll prefer to register offline matches ^^
ps: very cool customization too :D, mine reminds greek original patroklos from Iliad!

offline matches no, you must have some sort of capturing device.

I don't have the instructions I wrote out for online matches, but basically you save the replays in My Battles, select them, and then hit Start to output the movie.

Patroklos seems strongly tied to momentum. Land enough 236Ks and you can start dishing out huge amounts of damage that can end a fight quickly or turn into comeback factors.

i'd like to post some my videos too, the fact is i don't know how to capture a video during a match and upload it -.-
i know just that in online mode you can save replays. is it possible in vs mode too? because i'll prefer to register offline matches ^^

Drake is correct, you just save the replay to your battle log, then press start to load the video to your hard drive. I leave the options alone, but you can choose to just upload the last round if you like. Even better, go to your ps3's xmb after you have a few videos, and use the video editor. It's really easy to do, and you can tie a few together, add text and music if you like, and upload directly to youtube. On average you can usually get 3 decent fights to a video.

My only complaint is that I felt you got stepped at range way too much. More use of 3A instead of launchers would have kept you in Signia's face, imo. Otherwise, nicely done. =]

A quick question to add to that though: I'm aware you use Patroklos as a secondary, so what sort of matchups have you using him over Astaroth, aside from the one posted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this combo legit?

22_88A, A(w!). 3B(w!). 6B, B, B. 66B+K. 236:bA+B+K. 236K
Nah.

If you mistime it 6BBB won't hit standing, it'll hit crouching.
Anything after 236B BE in combos is techable.

66B, 66B+K, 236K or 44A, 3KK, 236K are more reliable for wall combo enders.

My only complaint is that I felt you got stepped at range way too much. More use of 3A instead of launchers would have kept you in Signia's face, imo. Otherwise, nicely done. =]
I agree. My whole gameplay with Patroklos lacks a good close-mid step killer. Is 3A his best step killer? Seems a bit slow.

A quick question to add to that though: I'm aware you use Patroklos as a secondary, so what sort of matchups have you using him over Astaroth, aside from the one posted?
VS-
Mitsurugi, Astaroth, Algol. I also find fighting Cervantes whilst using Patroklos is a little bit easier, too.

I agree. My whole gameplay with Patroklos lacks a good close-mid step killer. Is 3A his best step killer? Seems a bit slow.
236AB bro. i18.
be careful with it as it's -16 but you can just use 236A to cause them to hesitate on the punish. less damage, but free oki.

anything faster than i18, you'll have to get in their face to use.

236AB bro. i18.
be careful with it as it's -16 but you can just use 236A to cause them to hesitate on the punish. less damage, but free oki.

anything faster than i18, you'll have to get in their face to use.
Ah, yes, that move. I keep forgetting I have it in my arsenal. And opting to use 236A is fine for me; I like oki.

problem of 236a is that is easy for the blocker to see the 2nd hit and launch punish the single 236a. it's more a "tournament style move". in long session, or vs people with a high knowledge and a high experience fighting pat, 236ab lost his power, becoming good just in certain situation(for example as nm's 3b punisher)

Back