Petition to get Soul Calibur V on GGPO

This petition is to ensure that the online experience is as best as it can be for us, but this won't happen without your help! You need to sign the petition and tell everyone you know to sign it as well. With your help, this will happen! We need to show them that the players demand this!

In recent years, GGPO has become the gold standard for online netcode in video games. If you do not know anything about the GGPO netcode this is the description, copied and pasted from their website, http://GGPO.net :

What is it?

GGPO is a networking library that game developers can use to add networked gameplay support to arcade style games. GGPO's latency hiding techniques give each player a gameplay experience that is nearly indistinguishable from playing with their friends locally, even against players around the world.

How does it work?

GGPO uses a peer-to-peer topology to run a complete copy of your game for each player, transmitting controller inputs over the network to keep these copies in sync. Each player's inputs are sent to their copy of the game without having to wait for their opponent's to arrive over the network.
If the simulations diverge, GGPO rolls back to the most recent accurate state, corrects the mistake, and jumps back to the current frame, all before the player can notice. This provides the illusion of lag-free gameplay.

How does it perform?

Thousands of gamers are already using GGPO to play classic, old school fighting games against opponents around the world. GGPO's latency hiding techniques maintain the illusion of lag-free gameplay even during intercontinental play.

Can I try it out?

Absolutely! Click the "Try It!" button to get started.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/GGPO-for-SoulCaliburV/226542944023734

Yes, we know that. We can sign the petition AND tell them on twitter. Why you please sign it, and also put it on the FaceBook fan page? We HAVE to show them that the players DEMAND this.

I was going to suggest that as well Malice. If this net code is well worth it I'm sure Namco will find some way to implement it into SCV for online play.

Namco already knows about improving the online and GGPO. Plus they're already using GGPO in their their DBZ game, so it's not like they're oblivious to it.

Plus PetitionOnline is ass. Use Twitter.

I can tell you that it has already been talked about, but this is that little extra push it needs to get it guaranteed. It's imperative that this happens as quickly as possible.

Perhaps not, but this will definately let them know that GGPO is what the players want for their netcode. And they are about pleasing the players. SC5 wouldn't have happened so soon without the petition that was created months ago. A petition was required by Namco to show there was enough interest in another installment. This is the same concept.

Any support is good. Don't discredit it. This could help make a toss up decision on whether to use it or not lean further in the GGPO direction. For the amount of effort it takes to sign and show support, people shouldn't be trying to look down on the effort...I was hoping we could leave that pointless mentality on SRK

isn't GGPO impossible for 3D fighters? too taxing? or something?

or they have to design the game with GGPO in mind? or something? plz clarify.

Signia, it is possible to do. I can't give details because I am not technically inclined, but it can be done. I do know there isn't much data being sent back and forth with SC4, something like 150kbps.

Oblivion, Online will be a great experience in itself. Trust me, you want to sign this petition so you can enjoy it to the fullest.

The resources being taxed when people talk about ggpo and 3d fighters are not online resources, they are cpu resources. Simply put, current gen systems may not be powerful enough to run ggpo alongside a game like Soulcalibur 5. If that were true then things would have to be changed for online play (this already happens in some console games, mostly fps), lower res textures, less animations, less effects. At the very least. It has nothing to do with network resources.

Even ggpo users will have encountered this, specifically with 3rd Strike. If your computer can run 3rd Strike at full fps, at whatever res, offline, no stutters, no slowdown at all, it still may not be powerful enough to run 3rd Strike over ggpo, and as your frame rate drops you will start to chop and lag both yourself and the person you're playing against. In order to play 3rd Strike over ggpo you need a system far and above what is needed to play 3rd Strike offline.

Offline is what matters.
They should put their complete focus on offline.
Online doesn't matter it is just an ad on.
Considering 90% of our fanbase (AKA those who are actually responsible for our loving game being a success or not) are not competitive and will most likely only play Online, the producers should really focus on making that aspect of the game pristine. This is a solid petition. Will sign.

a more visible and effective petition would be making a facebook page.

people are far more willing to click "like" to sign it than they are to visit a foreign site.

Signia, it is possible to do. I can't give details because I am not technically inclined, but it can be done. I do know there isn't much data being sent back and forth with SC4, something like 150kbps.

Oblivion, Online will be a great experience in itself. Trust me, you want to sign this petition so you can enjoy it to the fullest.

SC4 works out to 8kb per second of data, I measured it once. Looks like my thread on this was deleted or lost or something. The problem is not bandwidth (would fit easily in a dial-up modem), its purely one of distance and latency. No matter how good your code is, you cannot overcome the latency caused by physical distance and all of the network nodes between you and your opponent.

And there's nothing stopping GGPO from working with a 3D fighter, there's really no more data. The graphics never have to be sent (all you care about is that you are doing move X and are Y frames into it). All you need to synchronize is an extra coordinate for positions (xyz vs xy) and a rotation for the characters. Everything else is identical between 2D and 3D game state.

Something like GGPO becomes vastly more efficient when you use it directly from within the game code and synchronize only what has to be synced up. Its vastly inefficient to be using it on emulated games, as the emulator has no way of knowing what is important data and what is meaningless fluff that doesn't have to be sent over so it has to sync everything.

SC4 works out to 8kb per second of data, I measured it once. Looks like my thread on this was deleted or lost or something. The problem is not bandwidth (would fit easily in a dial-up modem), its purely one of distance and latency. No matter how good your code is, you cannot overcome the latency caused by physical distance and all of the network nodes between you and your opponent.

And there's nothing stopping GGPO from working with a 3D fighter, there's really no more data. The graphics never have to be sent (all you care about is that you are doing move X and are Y frames into it). All you need to synchronize is an extra coordinate for positions (xyz vs xy) and a rotation for the characters. Everything else is identical between 2D and 3D game state.

Something like GGPO becomes vastly more efficient when you use it directly from within the game code and synchronize only what has to be synced up. Its vastly inefficient to be using it on emulated games, as the emulator has no way of knowing what is important data and what is meaningless fluff that doesn't have to be sent over so it has to sync everything.

Its also the way consoles work (extremely encrypted p2p or servers, usually the latter), its not like being on a PC at all.

Also you're somewhat mistaken about what they had to send, they have to send data from the physics engine or things can get out of sync in other ways.

But... this is one of those conversations that's been started a million times. The short version I guess is 'fansite petitions don't work'

Live streams

8 Viewers
technokittyxo
technokittyxo
18+ Playing soul calibur (RIP HANDCAM)
5 Viewers
ChiefVibe
ChiefVibe
Feel Like Ripping My Teeth Out My Mouth , But Im Okay 🙃
4 Viewers
evolutiion_lee
evolutiion_lee
Yes, Sir. The arena is lit. I'm about to give the world these hands. Road to 50 Subs. Let's get it.
1 Viewers
karat_mc
karat_mc
SoulCalibur 6 Весы духа

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrdaniyel
Back