"Please look forward to collaborations with other works!" - Guest Character Speculation Thread

Has SC ever had a guest character that isn't a videogame character?
Spawn?

It's difficult to think of Souls characters that would be a good fit.
Ornstein was the best I can think of. He already has to charge up his lunge, and has a cool AT... I think his moveset fits really well.
Gehrman could work if you make his shotgun point blank or only part of an AT... but clashes with Zasalamel, should he be in the game.
Outside of just taking a random NPC and throwing a generic sword & shield moveset on to them, I can't think of much else, and that's best left for CaS if you ask me.

I'd like to see... pffff, nobody really. I can't think of any character who's really caught my attention in the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Spawn?

It's difficult to think of Souls characters that would be a good fit.
Ornstein was the best I can think of. He already has to charge up his lunge, and has a cool AT... I think his moveset fits really well.
Gehrman could work if you make his shotgun point blank or only part of an AT... but clashes with Zasalamel, should he be in the game.
Outside of just taking a random NPC and throwing a generic sword & shield moveset on to them, I can't think of much else, and that's best left for CaS if you ask me.

I'd like to see... pffff, nobody really. I can't think of any character who's really caught my attention in the last couple of years.
Oh, right. I completely forgot about him because I only ever played SCII on GC, PS2 and XB360.

I would be just as happy if there were no guest characters. But if there must be, let it at least be someone who could have plausibly interacted with the soul calibur world, like Ezio (even though he was 100 some years removed too), and not pull a $$$$tunt like the starwars BS in SC4.

Last edited:
Weeeell there already is a thread for this, isn't there? I'm not worrying about the guest characters much. To me the most obvious choice currently is Cloud from FFVII, cause of the remake coming up.

I haven't played Nioh, and know nothing about it, but apparently it sold very well, so I can see it happening.

A Dynasty Warriors crossover is also possible, seeing as how Sophitia appeared in one of their games.

Mai Shiranui is a highly unlikely guest character and more importantly, I don't want her in Soul Calibur. She's a projectile character and we don't want more of those (side-eyes SCIV Algol) and other than as a projectile, Mai doesn't really use her fans much. She fights with her bare fists and legs. She just wouldn't be a good fit and any playstyle that tried to stay faithful to her original play style would likely break the game.
Okay, lets begin here: first off, what either of us want doesn't matter, so don't even try to use that as an argument. Second, don't speak of "we" as if you were talking in the name of someone else, because you speak only for yourself. Also, projectile character? She has ONE projectile, which is less than what Cervantes has. Also, she doesn't have to use her fan in all of her attacks, only in part of them, look at Viola, she doesn't use the orb in all attacks. Also, no, if guests like Spawn and Darth Vader didn't break the game, Mai is the least likely to do so.

Gladiolus & Cloud Strife - We already have Cloud in SSB4 and Noctis in T7. For these reasons, I don't think we're going to get any FFVII or FFXV characters in SCVI. Square Enix likely would want to promote some of their other games or at least not create franchise fatigue by having too many characters from the same games appear in multiple fighting game franchises..
How does this factor into anything ar all? Who the fuck cares about SSB, this is Soul Calibur, that is the most asinine excuse I've ever seen. Also, what T7 have to do with this? Different games, different communities, but characters still very popular regardless, so its profitable, smart and, specially, cool to add Gladiolus.

Tekken - I don't think we're ever getting another Tekken character as a guest character. We already had Heihachi and Yoshimitsu is a permanent SC character. But another guest style that we'll end up banning in tournament is possible.
We got Devil Jin after Heihachi and Yoshimitsu was never a guest. Neither of them was banned in tournaments for being strong, Heihachi at best got banned for console exclusive, like Link and Spawn.

The reason why you can't think of someone specific from the Souls or Bloodborne games is likely because none of the games really place much emphasis on their characters.
Stopped reading this part here, this is a joke, right?

I doubt we'll ever see KOS-MOS. She'll stick out like a sore thumb, what with being an android with an artifical intelligence wielding a handgun and a machine gun. CaS parts is one thing, a guest character is another. You also appear to imply Dante was originally supposed to appear in SCIII, but I can find no sources for this.
Yeah, because Spawn, Darth Vader, The Apprentice and Yoda don't stand out at all. You only want to make arguments to raise a discussion you can't keep going, you did not have a single decent point to provide at all.

Has SC ever had a guest character that isn't a videogame character?
Spawn, Darth Vader and Yoda.

I thought it was confirmed by leaks that it was Link and some Fire Emblem character for cross promotion for the switch version?
For the PS4, I would assume it would be a cross promotion with the new souls game in development, possibly bloodborne 2, so it would be the hunter in that case. Maybe Gehrman.
For the Xbox, it would probably be some unannounced project character. I don't see any killer instinct characters transferring over.
Nothing was confirmed about anyone except Sophitia and Mitsurugi. Leaks made mention of a character that looked like a Fire Emblem character, but it wasn't confirmed if it is a guest, and Link was never mentioned at all.

Love to see this guy back...
sc4-a5.jpg

Even less likely than seeing a new Force Unleashed but I want my Starkiller back dammit! Kappa

Okay, lets begin here: first off, what either of us want doesn't matter, so don't even try to use that as an argument. Second, don't speak of "we" as if you were talking in the name of someone else, because you speak only for yourself. Also, projectile character? She has ONE projectile, which is less than what Cervantes has. Also, she doesn't have to use her fan in all of her attacks, only in part of them, look at Viola, she doesn't use the orb in all attacks. Also, no, if guests like Spawn and Darth Vader didn't break the game, Mai is the least likely to do so.
Spawn and Darth Vader didn't break the game because their playstyles didn't. Unless they give us a Mai Shiranui whose entire playstyle is wildly different from the one she enjoys in literally every single fighting game she's ever appeared in, she will break the game. Why? Because she is a projectile character. It's not that she's only got 1 projectile (she's actually got 2, one of which is a boosted up Desperation Move version of her regular fan throw), but because of how it works. They have 2 choices, make it useless (i.e. super-steppable) or make it useful in the same way it is in literally every single fighting game she's ever appeared in, in which case it'll be like Algol's SCIV projectiles. And unlike Cervantes, they can't make hers duckable unless they want it to look and be really stupid. Kicks aside, Viola uses her Orb in about 40% of her attacks and strings. Mai uses fans in... 5 attacks? Also, I just found out she apparently was a guest character on Dead or Alive 5 Last Round.

How does this factor into anything ar all? Who the fuck cares about SSB, this is Soul Calibur, that is the most asinine excuse I've ever seen. Also, what T7 have to do with this? Different games, different communities, but characters still very popular regardless, so its profitable, smart and, specially, cool to add Gladiolus.
Because Bandia Namco aren't pulling these guest characters out of thin air, they're licensing them from third parties. And those third parties will want to promote specific things. "Hey, can we have Cecil from FFIV?" Bandai Namco might ask. And Square Enix might go "Sure!", but they're also a company who want to promote their games and most people don't even know who the Hell Cecil is and FFIV isn't a priority for Square Enix, so they'll probably go "How about you add X character from Y game instead?".

Because of this, Square Enix will probably want SCVI, if they're adding a Final Fantasy character, to add a character from a game that hasn't had a guest character in another fighting game yet because they want to promote more games than just the 2. Also, they don't want franchise fatigue. If every single fighting game franchise adds FFXV characters, eventually, there'll be a backlash from the fans, who're sick and tired of FFXV guest characters. These two reasons make it less likely we'll see guest characters from FF games that have already been guest characters in fighting games.

There's a reason why we rarely see multiple characters from the same game be guest characters in multiple games (especially of the same genre) that are released within the same decade.

We got Devil Jin after Heihachi and Yoshimitsu was never a guest. Neither of them was banned in tournaments for being strong, Heihachi at best got banned for console exclusive, like Link and Spawn.
Did I say Yoshimitsu was a guest character? We got Heihachi that one time, yes. Which precisely the point. And Devil Jin was not a guest character, he was a guest style. I said he's, and I quote, "a permanent SC character". Try reading people's posts before replying to them. And try to think deeper than "Herp derp, I have no clue what this means so I'll use insults and swear words instead of applying any kind of critical thinking first!".

Stopped reading this part here, this is a joke, right?
I forgot a word: Playable characters.

Yeah, because Spawn, Darth Vader, The Apprentice and Yoda don't stand out at all. You only want to make arguments to raise a discussion you can't keep going, you did not have a single decent point to provide at all.
How did Spawn stand out in the grand scheme of things? Demon-like being with mystic powers. That's par for the course with the Soul Calibur series, what with the rampart sorcery, magic and demons. Darth Vader, the Apprentice and Yoda were all swordfighters. The only thing that stood out about them was the fact that Darth Vader had some cybernetic parts if you look closely. Yoda being a little muppet didn't didn't really matter much seeing as how in the Soul Calibur universe there exists lizardmen and demons. And you would never have known the Apprentice wasn't a Soul Calibur based on his playstyle and design alone (lightsaber aside, since there aren't any energy swords in the Soul Calibur series... yet). Even Darth Vader's modulated voice wasn't that different from those of the Malfested. KOS-MOS is an android who says things like "Multiple operating systems" in the weird Uncanny Valley-like way robots speak in movies (but without the vocal effects), with a body that's clearly made out of cynernetic parts, including metallic wings, with a robotic voice, handguns and a machine gun. Almost all of her attacks makes use of machine guns or electronics.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hunter from Bloodborne & God of War 4 Kratos for PS4.
Link & A Fire Emblem character when the Switch version is announced. Switch multiplats release later than traditional multiplats.
As much as I love Fire Emblem, I am not okay with console exclusives. Excluding is bad when it comes to gameplay; everyone needs to have the same experience. If there's going to be a guest it has to be available on every platform, no exceptions.

That said, there are ways around this. For example, say they added Marth to a theoretical Switch version as a playable character, but he had an alternate skin named "Driz" or something. "Driz" would be an original character that could be added to the other versions of the game. So everyone gets Marth's gameplay, but not everyone gets the Marth skin. I would be okay with that. This additionally solves the problem of being able to add them to the meta in future games.

Of course that's assuming it's legally possible. Motions alone shouldn't be subject to copyright, but Nintendo these days is kind of an asshole when it comes to legal stuff. I do want to say this has been done before, but I can't think of an example right now.

Spawn and Darth Vader didn't break the game because their playstyles didn't. Unless they give us a Mai Shiranui whose entire playstyle is wildly different from the one she enjoys in literally every single fighting game she's ever appeared in, she will break the game. Why? Because she is a projectile character. It's not that she's only got 1 projectile (she's actually got 2, one of which is a boosted up Desperation Move version of her regular fan throw), but because of how it works. They have 2 choices, make it useless (i.e. super-steppable) or make it useful in the same way it is in literally every single fighting game she's ever appeared in, in which case it'll be like Algol's SCIV projectiles. And unlike Cervantes, they can't make hers duckable unless they want it to look and be really stupid. Kicks aside, Viola uses her Orb in about 40% of her attacks and strings. Mai uses fans in... 5 attacks? Also, I just found out she apparently was a guest character on Dead or Alive 5 Last Round.

Because Bandia Namco aren't pulling these guest characters out of thin air, they're licensing them from third parties. And those third parties will want to promote specific things. "Hey, can we have Cecil from FFIV?" Bandai Namco might ask. And Square Enix might go "Sure!", but they're also a company who want to promote their games and most people don't even know who the Hell Cecil is and FFIV isn't a priority for Square Enix, so they'll probably go "How about you add X character from Y game instead?".

Because of this, Square Enix will probably want SCVI, if they're adding a Final Fantasy character, to add a character from a game that hasn't had a guest character in another fighting game yet because they want to promote more games than just the 2. Also, they don't want franchise fatigue. If every single fighting game franchise adds FFXV characters, eventually, there'll be a backlash from the fans, who're sick and tired of FFXV guest characters. These two reasons make it less likely we'll see guest characters from FF games that have already been guest characters in fighting games.

There's a reason why we rarely see multiple characters from the same game be guest characters in multiple games (especially of the same genre) that are released within the same decade.

Did I say Yoshimitsu was a guest character? We got Heihachi that one time, yes. Which precisely the point. And Devil Jin was not a guest character, he was a guest style. I said he's, and I quote, "a permanent SC character". Try reading people's posts before replying to them. And try to think deeper than "Herp derp, I have no clue what this means so I'll use insults and swear words instead of applying any kind of critical thinking first!".

I forgot a word: Playable characters.

How did Spawn stand out in the grand scheme of things? Demon-like being with mystic powers. That's par for the course with the Soul Calibur series, what with the rampart sorcery, magic and demons. Darth Vader, the Apprentice and Yoda were all swordfighters. The only thing that stood out about them was the fact that Darth Vader had some cybernetic parts if you look closely. Yoda being a little muppet didn't didn't really matter much seeing as how in the Soul Calibur universe there exists lizardmen and demons. And you would never have known the Apprentice wasn't a Soul Calibur based on his playstyle and design alone (lightsaber aside, since there aren't any energy swords in the Soul Calibur series... yet). Even Darth Vader's modulated voice wasn't that different from those of the Malfested. KOS-MOS is an android who says things like "Multiple operating systems" in the weird Uncanny Valley-like way robots speak in movies (but without the vocal effects), with a body that's clearly made out of cynernetic parts, including metallic wings, with a robotic voice, handguns and a machine gun. Almost all of her attacks makes use of machine guns or electronics.
Look, my patience is incredibly limited and you are just repeating things over and over without bringing anything new or a point at all, which is what you failed to bring in the first post. I will not bother repeating myself like you did, your answers are in the posts you quoted, and you do not have arguments.

You know I think guests should be an excuse for developers to try something new, something they wouldn't otherwise have even thought to try without being inspired by the idea of a particular guest being in their game and what that guest could do, how they would play.

If you're going to waste all that and be boring trying to make a guest that will simply fit into your game wholesale then why bother, why not just make more of your own characters... No need to go to the trouble of licensing someone if they're not going to stand out. Like Noctis in Tekken 7, not that I'd play that, but you get the point.

All I want is some Final Fantasy rep in Soul Calibur. The weapon based fighting as well as the plethora of weapons for each Final Fantasy character makes it a good candidate game. It'd be a shame to see Noctis recycled. I'm trying to consider what is relevant aside from FFXV, though. There's a re-release of FFXII on the horizon, right? It would kinda tie in with the "reboot" theme to have a pseudo-throwback as a guest character.
The HD Remaster of FFXII was released in July of this year.

Semi related, perhaps the "collaborations" could also include costume pieces to create guest characters.
This is not without precedent.

You know... I really like to cover myself in BBQ sauce and roll around in dogshit from time to time... It really gets me in the mood! Now I need to go meet the Pope! He needs a penis transplant and I'm a donor! Bye!
You know, I looked at alerts, then looked at what you were quoting from me... and wondered if I somehow got SUPER blackout drunk, turned into Nyte, and went bonkers...

Please quote responsibly... nearly checked myself into a mental asylum there... Note what I did above :)

As much as I love Fire Emblem, I am not okay with console exclusives. Excluding is bad when it comes to gameplay; everyone needs to have the same experience. If there's going to be a guest it has to be available on every platform, no exceptions.

That said, there are ways around this. For example, say they added Marth to a theoretical Switch version as a playable character, but he had an alternate skin named "Driz" or something. "Driz" would be an original character that could be added to the other versions of the game. So everyone gets Marth's gameplay, but not everyone gets the Marth skin. I would be okay with that. This additionally solves the problem of being able to add them to the meta in future games.

Of course that's assuming it's legally possible. Motions alone shouldn't be subject to copyright, but Nintendo these days is kind of an asshole when it comes to legal stuff. I do want to say this has been done before, but I can't think of an example right now.

Imagine if we had cross platform support... and they allowed Guest characters to duke it out online against each other... Link and Kratos going at each other. That would sell a lot more than any other game... for both platforms. And to top it off, they could create a special version of the game on the side for tournaments that allowed all of them to be played locally, like some mini arcade version...

Of course, Sony will block it. Killjoys :/

Last edited:
All I want is some Final Fantasy rep in Soul Calibur. The weapon based fighting as well as the plethora of weapons for each Final Fantasy character makes it a good candidate game. It'd be a shame to see Noctis recycled. I'm trying to consider what is relevant aside from FFXV, though. There's a re-release of FFXII on the horizon, right? It would kinda tie in with the "reboot" theme to have a pseudo-throwback as a guest character.

Semi related, perhaps the "collaborations" could also include costume pieces to create guest characters.
I think you're talking about the FFVII remaster.

Back