Poll: 17 years in the future or current timeline?

Would you prefer the series to go forward 17 years? Or continue with current timeline?

• 17 years forward. Most characters replaced or removed.

Votes: 59 63.4%
  • Current timeline. Most or all characters returning.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters
I don't think that's enough. Even if you look at SC2 by itself, its story appeal was very very weak. The fact its story was repeated for 2 more games is unfortunate, but I don't think that was the problem.

I think the biggest problem is how they set up the story mode where each character is doing the same thing (killing the last boss and then trying to get something he has) and have an ending for each character. I'd rather have a single story mode which tells a long story, instead of 25 mini stories which are short and mostly filler.

They could still keep arcade mode as it is, but just remove the whole story part from it. As far as I'm concerned, that's a relic from the arcade days of fighting games and there's no point in using it to tell a story.

If perhaps Odashima is serious about how he and Harada have been paying attention to the recent MK, then who knows? Maybe they might cite that game as a means of going about this in a way that might satisfy people who really yearn for this type of stuff. (Arcade mode for the traditional stuff, Story mode for those who want a longer narrative).

But let's keep this much in mind: we're talking about a FIGHTING GAME here. NOT a RPG. NOT a Visual Novel. Hell, not even like some other action games like InFamous where there is some semblance to a plot and characters that change dynamically.

If you really want that much in the way of a gripping narrative, I think you set yourself up for disappointment, because fighting games are, inherently, NOT those types of games. And the reason why is because, at their roots, Fighting Games, especially now-a-days, are character-driven, fanservice-appealing games. How can one hope to tell a good story, without real character progression/evolution and plot resolution? But at the same time, you recognize that you take big risks if you try to do ANYTHING akin to possibly doing something that might jeopardize a character's standing in the roster, pissing off their fans on the same token?

I mean, these last 9 pages alone should be indicative of that much. How many posts are there relating to people worrying about their fates of their favorite characters in this 17 year jump, as opposed to those who actually are interested in "seeing where they go next with the story" because of that jump? As long as the former clearly outweighs the latter, you can only hope for so much when it comes to storytelling in fighting games.

well out of the 2 confirmed characters yeah;

Its a gimmick I hope they don't overuse tho'. "Yeah all the women settled down and had kids!"

No. Thats why i think Amy and Raphael are good for the "immortal/not aging because of soul edge curse" gimmick. Its a good way to not change everything and everyone. If everything is changed then its not Soul Calibur anymore.

A grown up Amy is cool too so im happy too if they do that.

Oh, believe me, I've never expected any gripping storylines from the SC series and I still don't. I do like some of the characters in the series, but when looking at it from a story perspective, I view it as mostly gibberish. I just think it's silly they're doing such drastic change to the game for the sake of story which will most likely be bad. If they wanna take risks, I'd rather see them keep the same characters, but completely mix up the gameplay. Akin to what Resident Evil 4 did with the RE series.

I'd also like to point out that it's very possible to create good storylines even without any kind of jeopardy to the main characters. I don't think anyone was surprised to see the main characters in the Uncharted series survive each game, but they're still compelling fun storylines. Fighting games are also unique in the way that characters aren't only characters, they represent gameplay as well. Remove a character, and you remove a huge chunk of gameplay.

It isn't really old, but they are not at their peak either (which would make fighting someone like Nightmare suicide), so they better have been taking vitamin supplements and antioxidants.

A human being can be even very tough in it´s fourties. Just think of Bruce Lee. It seems his best years were in his 30´s, so why would you be not able to fight on a high level in your 40´s?

No. Thats why i think Amy and Raphael are good for the "immortal/not aging because of soul edge curse" gimmick. Its a good way to not change everything and everyone. If everything is changed then its not Soul Calibur anymore.

A grown up Amy is cool too so im happy too if they do that.

Just imagine if they decided the best way was for Amy to have Raphael's baby... ><

No I kid, yer totally right. The immortals are almost certain to make it in (alhto' I kind of think we'll get Amy and not Raph, that's just a guess.)

Daishi made these tweets yesterday:

"What happens to the females characters after 17 years? Well you know, people age... RT @tomsonian:"

"どんだけ~。 You want to see Ivy in her forties? Really? RT @gonintaiho: アイヴィーがアラフォーとか胸熱"

He's saying the female characters have aged, and he's implying no one would want to see Ivy in her forties (understandable since she's now 49). I think that's a strong hint many of the female characters will not return.

Daishi made these tweets yesterday:

"What happens to the females characters after 17 years? Well you know, people age... RT @tomsonian:"

"どんだけ~。 You want to see Ivy in her forties? Really? RT @gonintaiho: アイヴィーがアラフォーとか胸熱"

He's saying the female characters have aged, and he's implying no one would want to see Ivy in her forties (understandable since she's now 49). I think that's a strong hint many of the female characters will not return.

Guys we need to stick together and evade Twitter in order to make Daishi open his eyes... Nina and Anna Williams from Tekken series are already in her 40's, do they look incapable of fighting to you?! Both physically and esthetically they are still rockin... Not to say that Nina has also a son in his 20's (Steve) so yeah... Sophitia better be there or I will make Daishi feel the anger of the Greeks XD

Guys we need to stick together and evade Twitter in order to make Daishi open his eyes... Nina and Anna Williams from Tekken series are already in her 40's, do they look incapable of fighting to you?! Both physically and esthetically they are still rockin... Not to say that Nina has also a son in his 20's (Steve) so yeah... Sophitia better be there or I will make Daishi feel the anger of the Greeks XD
Nina Williams is 24 years old as of Tekken 5 :P

I did a quick check through Tekken characters. Nina is the oldest playable female character in the entire series and she's only 24. (her and Anna was cryo frozen between T2 and T3, so that's why they didn't age between those 2 games)

I do think Namco will cheat and do as with Tekken 3 and keep 1-2 female characters as if they didn't age. Ivy and Taki are most likely.

Nina Williams is 24 years old as of Tekken 5 :P

I did a quick check through Tekken characters. Nina is the oldest playable female character in the entire series and she's only 24. (her and Anna was cryo frozen between T2 and T3, so that's why they didn't age between those 2 games)

I do think Namco will cheat and do as with Tekken 3 and keep 1-2 female characters as if they didn't age. Ivy and Taki are most likely.

That's impossible since T3 takes place 15 years after T2. And they were on her 20's when T2 took place. Wiki's info is mostly wrong anyway don't trust it :-)

I think we should freeze Amy in a block of Ice as well. Only instead of unfreezing her we just leave her there until Global Warming thaws her out.

Cryo frozen = body not aged.

Although their body didn't age do you realize that doesn't mean they are in their 20's anymore?

Their bodies remain young stuck in their 20's but in age they are in the 40's. Cryogenic sleep or not this is how female characters age process works in fighting games just look at Jun in TTT2...

Although their body didn't age do you realize that doesn't mean they are in their 20's anymore?

Their bodies remain young stuck in their 20's but in age they are in the 40's. Cryogenic sleep or not this is how female characters age process works in fighting games just look at Jun in TTT2...

Firstly, stop trying to apply real-world logic to video games, especially fighting games...especially Tekken, lol. Both you an Amy are right on a technical level though, Nina and Anna are in their 40s, but have the appearance of a 25 year old thanks to cryogenics. Jun has aged (though she still looks a lot younger than her age, imo...not a bad thing, but still :P) due to presumably not having some bs plot mechanic to slow her aging process. Frankly, it was surprising that Namco decided to have her middle-aged, considering the stigma surrounding 40+ women in fighting games.

That's all there is too this, isn't it?

That is no argument. They may be 40 in years but not in age. Body and mind did not age. They have no memory of the 15 years and going in the ice and coming out 15 years later was 1 second time for Anna and Nina.

Frankly, it was surprising that Namco decided to have her middle-aged, considering the stigma surrounding 40+ women in fighting games.

I would support THAT every day. Thumps up for videogame characters in their 40´s!! No matter if male or female.

Back