Preferred Opening Cinematic?

What was YOUR favorite Opening Cinematic?

• Soul Edge

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Soul Calibur

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • SCII

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • SCIII

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • SCIV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TaurusofTudor

[09] Warrior
Now, before you say anything, let's just get this out of the way.

I have a huge SCIII bias. It's my favorite game in the series so far, and I really want to get it for DLC. Now that that's out of the way...

SCIV's opening was boring. Flat. Out. Boring. Sure, they showed a few fights, but it was nothing compared to how the other games were started. They showed pretty much every character fighting at least one other character. The music used for these cinematics was exciting and got you in the mood for fighting. SCIV's opening music was good, but it didn't get you in the mood for fighting. It was sort of the music made for the rising action of a movie. It didn't belong opening(what we thought at the time) what was going to be the last game in a series; didn't give off the feeling that the openings that the rest of the games in the series had, which had almost entire plots.

Now, again, I mention how each character's story was put into play in the openings. In SCIII, each character's story, or at least part of it, was put into the opening. They were all previews that added to the exciting premise of the fighting we were about to witness. SCIV, on the other hand, just showed Ivy and Hilde circling one another and ending with a pretty boring stalemate; Astaroth attempting to terrorize Yoda set to music from Star Wars/Darth Vader fighting Mitsurugi with something that should have easily sliced his blade in two; Siegfried and Nightmare in their now elemental feud; and quite possibly the most tedious part of the cinematic, Algol's flashback. This part was almost infuriating at how much it wanted to make Algol look brooding and victimized by Soul Edge. It just made me think the character was obsessed with power.

Bringing back the topic of music, SCIII's music set the stage for each character's story. Siegfried's calling to Soul Edge, the single-handed slaughter of an army by Nightmare, witnessed by Zasalamel, Kilik and Xiaghua's reaction to his crystal(name escapes me, sorry), Tira sending in her watcher flock to steal a fragment from Raphael, Setsuka's search for revenge against Mitsurugi, Sophitia and Cassandra's alliance against the terror of Astaroth; Ivy's struggle with her undead father who persists in trying to kill her, even insignificant events like Taki fighting Voldo was set to an up-tempo, powerful musical score. In SCIV, the music was very slow and hardly fitting for the(at the time) end-all game in a very influential series.

And one more thing: SCIV used the actualgraphics engine, instead of the shinier animations used in previous installments. This definitely added to the experience in the older games. Again, I bring up SCIII, but also II. They had possibly the prettiest openings because of how it was portrayed. The animations did things the in-game models could not, or rather, did not. I really feel a lot less effort was put into the opening of SCIV.

There's my ramblings for now. Please, take the time to vote which installment's opening was your favorite, tell me in a post which one it was, and why! I really want to hear other people's opinions.

All that said, I hope the opening styles from the older games returns in SCV. It would definitely make me a lot more excited for the game, that's for sure.

I voted for the third SC. I remember being pumped up every single time i watched that intro.
- ALRIGHT, OKEYY!!! LET'S FUCKING DO THIS!

There i sat on my couch, expecting SC4 to be the same....
-UMMM... UP, UP AND AWAY WE GO?

Now... i don't want them to do the same friggin mistake they did with 4. (Not just the intro though but that's besides the point) I want them to make the intro in 5 a la SC3 style. And don't use the in-game graphics for the intro. While it was kinda beast, it didn't work as well.

EDIT: The music in the third intro was awesome but i still think that Soul Edge had the best music.

SC3 coz Sieg had the best female hair ever!
LOL!
Joke, I liked it, specially because you'd see Zasalamel watching Nightmare destroying everything and realise that there are mysterious people involved with the 2 swords and they know more than anyone else! Epic!

Click on the spoiler tag to view each games opening cinematic. Split into two posts per the 5 image limit per post.

Soul Blade/Edge

SoulCalibur

SoulCalibur 2 Bundle (GameCube, PS2, Xbox)

GameCube

Playstation 2

Xbox

ZOMG. Never seen SC 3's opening before. Now I think SC4's opening is just....um...bad.

I think Siggy looked most handsome in SC3 =DDD

SC3 probably had the most compelling intro if you played it in mute (and even then the music was at least a 8.5/10 for me) because every character was at least matched up against another, aside from siegfried's monster arm flashbacks. SC2's intro had the best music, while SB had the catchy song.

In fact, Edge of Soul super imposed into a muted SC3 intro actually fits amazingly well as shown in the spoiler

I love the trumpet that comes in at the end of the SC2 opening, but gotta go with SC3's. Nightmare is just downright fierce when he sweeps a ton of soldiers out of his way. SCIV's...well...I'm not sure what they were aiming for there.

Thanks for the overview Enkindu.
Now I watched all intros. Sadly, I only really played Soul Edge and Soul Calibur 4. I think I only tried SC2 or SC3 once, but that was a time, where I had no interest for Fighting Games for a while.

SC3 has the best intro in my opinion. It's a true cinematic trailer. SC4 intro used ingame graphics (well that's not necessarily a problem, but the scenes were just boring most of the time).
And what is the purpose of an intro? It shall make us hype and make us want to play the game.
And that's something that the SC3 intro achieved imo. Well done!

But I have to admit, that the Soul Edge intro song is kinda catchy.

So I would like to see:

SC3 intro presentation + SE music = SC5 intro

SC3 definitely. It's just so dramatic.

It was actually pretty tough to decide between II and III.

Even SC:BD was good.

Soul Calibur III
I chose SC3, because when I first saw the opening I was in awe! It had such emotion to it, and showed all the characters of the story fighting each other. Some with a grudge, or just to fight. Although even with that, what had amazed me the most was when Nightmare, the "Azure Knight" the greastest threat, with his endless hunger for souls. When it showed the armies trying to take him down, but he quickly disposes of them with brutal swipes of his Soul Edge. Then there was Siegried showing him having hallucinations of Nightmare's arm. Showing he still has a bond with it. Then Zasalamel comes into the picture and transforms into Abyss. It was the best! I only hope they make SC5's opening with such passion as they did SC3.

Soul Edge didn't have the luxury of 3 games preceding it to give it context, so it gives my vote for raw 'goodness'. I don't think there's been a better opening for a fresh fighting game ever.

SC2's opening is my favorite just because of how epic it is, especially when during Mitsu and Nightmare's part.

Also BD's opening because Dampierre's in it.

Okay guys, I'm going to make a petition on ipetitions.com to bring back the old cinematic style. Who's gonna sign it?

Back