Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

His 66A has more range than most if not all 66As in the game if I recall....and if there is one that has more range than his,his is either more safe or faster.

Im a bit confused by your assertions on raphael: you stated he has no high game and unreliable horizontals previously, but now you say he has unreliable mids....

...there is no move in the game that your supposed to rely on heavily. Every move in the game has a weakness.

Your basically looking down on the core mechanics of the game: mix ups

I dont think there is a mid horizontal specifically made to be used a lot and possibly abused...and if there is please state it and I would happily give the weakness of said move for you.

Aeon's 66A.

It's true Aeon's 66A is his go to horizontal all day every day. Also had a causal grill session yesterday with folks in my scene and hot damn I grab way too much with Raph as well as commit to 6BBB too much. Also I still hate Cervy.

raph's poke damage are comparable to a broken grab >.> if instead you can connect few, the damage is gold....
Also B throws has huge wall combos....
Unfortunately all good tools raph has are either low or high....tha lacks of mids makes most opponents to duck on prediction often....and to get even to a single correct guess you have to work hard with mids.....(they can also predict a step .-.).

If you can keep opponent from ducking you are halfway to victory....

For wall splats...
Actually characters bounce off the walls 45° to the right it seems ....wallsplatting accordingly helps to connect combos.

My main beef was with IDGR blowing me up and my preperation stance as well as being predictable with grabs sometimes cause of habbit. In the beginning of our sets he blow me up bad but at the end of matches it was 50/50 and I always took him to last game cause of punishing his backdashes and whiffing hard. I used alot of 1A as well for low pokes along with 33_99 B and capatilized on every wall splat I can get which helped alot but rarely used meter expect for CE. In the end of the sets he won 2 matches over me which isn't too bad.

Well it's easy to put space in there when the opponent is knocked down, but backdash nerf makes 44 a dangerous thing to attempt when you're both at neutral.

Personally I like to use 3A. It's fast, generally safe to throw out, and on CH it puts just about the right amount of space between you and the opponent.

Aeon's 66A.

Raphs 66A is bad in comparison to Aeon's but in a match up of Raph vs Aeon. Aeon 66A gives Raphael an advantage due to spacing and raph being able to safely backstep from most if not all of Aeon's options and to set up a force block after blocking Aeon's 66A.

Overall, you will see raph use his 66A more safely than Aeon using his if you properly space Aeon.

Nah. Aeon's 66A > movement. A smart Aeon (though hard to come by) can also properly space Raph.

If you wanted to say how this is an advantage for Raph you could have said he's one of the only characters in the cast who can punish his 66A with 6BB (barring CEs).

I'm not saying you should not use 66A against him but saying yours will pwn his is taking it a bit too far.

Nah. Aeon's 66A > movement. A smart Aeon (though hard to come by) can also properly space Raph.

If you wanted to say how this is an advantage for Raph you could have said he's one of the only characters in the cast who can punish his 66A with 6BB (barring CEs).

I'm not saying you should not use 66A against him but saying yours will pwn his is taking it a bit too far.
aeon has antiprep stuff and decent pokes.
A good aeon will change strategy against raph resulting in a poking mid range game.
From there he can tak advantage of some TC mids >.>

I'd say its even at best.

TL;DR I've played around as Raph for years and always loved it, but SC5 being my first venture beyond "casual", I opted for other characters. But I picked him on ranked on a whim and I had a blast. I'm totally dropping Viola as a character in progress for Raph. I WILL MASTER THIS GUY. I might even be looking at a new primary character after some serious practice!

I do have a problem though. SE B is one of his most powerful moves without a doubt, but every time I go into SE, I feel like I just get hit out of it against anyone with a brain. I can't be fast enough to use SE unless I legit TC a high with it.

Am I missing some awesome string I should do before trying SE? Should I wait in Prep a bit then do it to try to bait attacks? Should I PREP BB and hope to dodge a quick high?

Also, what do you guys think of 33_99K BE? Is that worth the meter?

If you're being hit every time, by many different people, it's not likely that they are actually reacting to the sway. Do what's bad on paper and use the Highs - Prep BB or Prep AB (I really don't recommend AB except in a combo, it burns me so much). Some people will get hit by Prep K even multiple times because Prep K looks like .... nothing until just before it hits , to a player waiting to hit you.

You need to teach those players that Raph actually can win games that stupidly.
(probably belongs merged to Prep study)

I can't fricking do 33K BE for some reason so I'll get back to you.

TL;DR I've played around as Raph for years and always loved it, but SC5 being my first venture beyond "casual", I opted for other characters. But I picked him on ranked on a whim and I had a blast. I'm totally dropping Viola as a character in progress for Raph. I WILL MASTER THIS GUY. I might even be looking at a new primary character after some serious practice!

Welcome. I hope you enjoy him as much as I have.

I do have a problem though. SE B is one of his most powerful moves without a doubt, but every time I go into SE, I feel like I just get hit out of it against anyone with a brain. I can't be fast enough to use SE unless I legit TC a high with it.

Am I missing some awesome string I should do before trying SE? Should I wait in Prep a bit then do it to try to bait attacks? Should I PREP BB and hope to dodge a quick high?

There are a few ways to condition an opponent to let you go into Shadow Evade. The first is to hit them with Prep K/Prep k(BE) a couple of times. The only answer to this is to GI, JG, or just plain old block if you're entering on hit. This pretty much guarantees you can go into Shadow Evade uninterrupted, and then you can run your mix-up from there.

You can also force your opponent to step. An opponent that's stepping is essentially an opponent that isn't interrupting you, and that means you can go into SE. Sometimes, they might be trying to kill Prep with a 22A type of move that evades and then tech crouches - Siegfried 22A is an example. This can be fixed by properly spacing your entrances, entering Prep on hit and not block, and use of Prep 4 to position yourself before you enter SE.

Also, what do you guys think of 33_99K BE? Is that worth the meter?

It's fairly safe to just throw out since it leaves you at 10 on block, but do note that it's fairly easy to Just Guard if your opponent is expecting it - don't abuse it too much, or get into the habit of using it predictably. That being said, some opponents don't feel like taking the risk of messing up the Just Guard, and might instead opt to just give Raphael his positive frames.

MetalLink69 said:
...ways to condition an opponent to let you go into Shadow Evade.
Entering at range and in conjunction with prep~4, gauge the range of your opponent (or rather the range of their mid) so that they cannot hit you. SE B has good range, and if you distance right they will not be able to back out or advance leaving stepping as their best option. SEB also has crazy good frames on block, and amazing pushback, so even if they guard you profit.
33_99K BE is good, use it like the meter version of 22B as a mid mixup (with the range deficit unfortunately), it does about the same damage as the CE in terms of meter effeciency (well more according to an unfinished guide). The downside is if it done at tip(toe?) range, the second hit will whiff and it will not gives + frames.
Also Prep~K is unsafe on block, as is the BE version due to the second hit, AB has the same issue, so if you opt to use them I would be cautious when using the second hit.

I wish Raphael wasn't that much fun to play with so I could get away from him a little and play ma main once in a while.

I wish Raphael wasn't that much fun to play with so I could get away from him a little and play ma main once in a while.
This is the curse of a Raphael player. He is just too much fun to play no matter how much he sucks. :sc5rap1:

I remember back in 2, I had so much freaking fun just dancing around the stage with 236 and 214. He's still so much fun to play though. I tried to avoid him but nope, I played him once online and of course he's different, but the addiction surely was renewed. I fear I may actually forget to eat if they release Talim. This game is just too much fun all around for me.

I just renewed my account so if anybody wants to play and have a good Raph my GT : Reptile 149.

Back