Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

We have matchup threads, but no master compendium for punishment data.

Btw, we'd prefer you use (B) to denote holding B to enter prep stance. I type 3(B)~prepBB rather than 3B~BB half out of habit and also to make it easier for newer players to understand

Sure, I'll use that notation in the future.

Also, I'll go ahead and start a punishment thread tomorrow. I started doing Phyrra's data, but I also feel it's important to consider how I'll organize it and also add some additional notes as needed.

It'll be easier to arrange by Raphael's punishment speed. Start listing the moves punishable by i12, then i13, then i14.. and continue downwards as the opponent's moves get more unsafe

The Punishment guide has been updated with the "sloppy" version of the Mitsurugi data(yet still a more up to date version than I posted in this thread.) Be sure to take a look and ask questions as I format it and move on to the next character. You can expect it to include the same kind of button mapping visuals that the first part of the guide uses.

Apparently Project Soul didn't do a very good job patching out full-crouch poke guard bursts. You can break with Raphael's 2B by doing 2G → RCC 2B. Don't ask why it works, it just does.

Edit: Apparently it doesn't have to do with the RCC, because I've gotten FC B to break also. The way it seems to work is that [2]B will NOT break guard, but 2B will. Hold on, I'm still testing exactly what inputs get this to work. If I can find a pattern, hopefully I can pin down what causes this.
These inputs DO NOT break guard (stars indicate nothing and are placeholders because this forum truncates empty spaces):
:5::B:
:2::(2):
and
:B:
:2:
and
:5::G::B:
:2::(2)::(2):
and
:G::B:
and
:(G)::B:
and
:5::G::5::B:
:2::(2)::2::(2): EDIT: I just got this one to work. It appears the speed of the input matters as well. That means this can't be fully explored without P-Stick magic and whatnot.

These inputs DO break guard:
:5::G::5::B: (can give either FC B or 2B, seems to be the most consistent for causing the
:2::(2)::2::(2): guard burst)
and
:G::5::B:
:2::2::(2):
and
:G::B::(B):
:2::2::3::2:
and
:G::(G)::B::(B)::(B):
:5::2::2::3::2:

So far, I think it boils down to the:
:2::(2)::2::(2):
input at the core of whatever causes this, and the rest were just "junk" inputs that don't interfere.

EDIT: Possible breakthrough. From a crouch state, this input for FC B will NEVER burst guard:
:B:
:2:
but this one will:
:5::B:

And for standing 2B burst, it seems to be caused by entering a crouch state, immediately leaving, and doing 2B, meaning a fast input of:
:2::(2)::2::(2):

I can't confirm any further without programmable stick magic that I don't have access to. If someone has Noodalls on call, this is more his area of expertise.

Back