Raphael Video Discussion

Oh, I didn't even think you could sidestep it. I tried to a few times but I would always get hit. I figured it was just because he was a big character in general.

Make sure you're quick stepping, not just a normal step. Try it out in practice mode if you're not confident with it yet, it's pretty much necessary against Asta.

I had said in this thread:

"If you Guard Burst into Prep, there is time to go for SE B :)"

Well, I tested the damn thing on Training and it didn't work. So... my bad. If you Guard Burst into prep, k(BE) seems the best way to go.

I also (re)tested 88B and couldn't get it to work on training. I'd like you guys to do some testing as well, causw I was pretty sure this one did work.

Guess the AI has been crouching a lot, after Guard Burst, lately.

Really? When I guard break with 66A+B I have enough time to do another 66A+B, so there should be plenty of time to do SE B if you're already in Prep during GB. At least from 3B.

Maybe there's some way to shorten GB stun?

Oh! So that's it! Thx a lot. I should have figured. Kinda thought I was going crazy.

btw, what about 88B? Maybe it would vary according to the move you use to burst the guard, too?

Same here. 22B is my go-to post burst move unless I'm in a stance. Step whatever way to re-align, then B for the huge combo. Never once have I had it blocked, the only issue is remembering to step the right way so that you can get the rest of the combo.

I'm usually able to do it offline. But when I tried it in training, the opponent blocked. Might be because of the attack I used to Burst the guard, it might have had one with a long immobility. I think it was 6Bb(BE). I'll test with other attacks.

And the alligning thing is true. I'm still trying to figure out a patterns. From what you guys say, it's not about an specific side, but about trying to stay face-to-face. Interesting.

I'm usually able to do it offline. But when I tried it in training, the opponent blocked. Might be because of the attack I used to Burst the guard, it might have had one with a long immobility. I think it was 6Bb(BE). I'll test with other attacks.
Yes, 6Bb(BE), can only be follow by a i25 move.
You must use 4(B) in this situation.

Usually for me, 22_88B take 29 Frames to come out.

Yes, 6Bb(BE), can only be follow by a i25 move.
You must use 4(B) in this situation.

Usually for me, 22_88B take 29 Frames to come out.

Note that you can make 22B come out faster without the step if you quickly do 662B, but this may not solve any alignment issues that the step was fixing.

I often get the impression that the step causes the alignment issue (prolly cause I'm stepping super-wrong). How fast do you think we can make 22B work? I wonder if there is a constant for the extra QS frames all 22 move have.
_______

Fenro, I watched all your vids. Nice stuff. Goodway to punish those guys for being too linear.

And where the hell do you find these 80+ guys? I rarely come across any of these, though I've faced a very good 70+ who uses Aeon. We had a bunch of tight and entertaining fights. I'll prolly post them soon. He dwells on 8wayrun, btw.

I often get the impression that the step causes the alignment issue (prolly cause I'm stepping super-wrong). How fast do you think we can make 22B work? I wonder if there is a constant for the extra QS frames all 22 move have.
_______

Fenro, I watched all your vids. Nice stuff. Goodway to punish those guys for being too linear.

And where the hell do you find these 80+ guys? I rarely come across any of these, though I've faced a very good 70+ who uses Aeon. We had a bunch of tight and entertaining fights. I'll prolly post them soon. He dwells on 8wayrun, btw.

This is what i've observed (using the french quarter stage to help me watch the alignment of the ground to the opponent).

Think of your opponent as the center of a grid and you are at his 12 o clock. If you step to his 1-2 or 10-11 o clock when you land the 22B your opponent will crumple. He will crumple, however, facing either his 12 o clock (where you were) or his 3 or 9 o clock (where he thinks you hit him from). Depending on how far away you are from either his 12 or 3/9 o clock, you will whiff because of the way they realign when they crumple (and because 3B's hitbox is too narrow).

Or if you're more comfortable with angles, think of stepping for 22B at 45 degrees a dangerous thing because the opponent will either crumple at 0 or 90 degrees and you will whiff.

We have already done some testing on Guard Burst here (http://8wayrun.com/threads/guard-burst-analysis.11270/#post-431350).
The only prep-transition move which can't follow up with SE B is 66(B).

Is there a way to actually know when something will definitively break guard rather than committing to something and having it backfire horribly? Is there actually a color hue the life bar will flash with that says the next hit will break?

BTW, hi Gojira! Are you still a bad enough dude?

Is there a way to actually know when something will definitively break guard rather than committing to something and having it backfire horribly? Is there actually a color hue the life bar will flash with that says the next hit will break?

BTW, hi Gojira! Are you still a bad enough dude?

Nope you only get the red flash color indicator, then hope for the best. There are some attacks that I know will definitely break with 2 more blocks or so when they flash red...but that is with Maxi as he is my main. Not sure about Raphs...Maybe 236B? 66B+K? haven't gotten around to analysing that yet.

Also apart from jG is there anyway to reduce guard damage done to you?

Some moves may burst when the guard is yellow, so they'll definitely burst if the guard is red. And I think there are two levels of red, that might help in terms of this same (yellow/red) rationale.

Bb(BE) may burst at yellow, for instance. It may be dodged, GIed or JGed, though.

Some moves may burst when the guard is yellow, so they'll definitely burst if the guard is red. And I think there are two levels of red, that might help in terms of this same (yellow/red) rationale.

Bb(BE) may burst at yellow, for instance. It may be dodged, GIed or JGed, though.

Yeah there's definitely a darker shade of red, but I've had them in this state before and 3B STILL didn't break on one block. So it's just a feel thing, I guess.

Here are 2 matches between me and the Aeon guy from 8wayrun.com

He is an A1 and 70%+. Also, the best Aeon I've seen. We both could have more knowledge about eachother's character, as we had these fights, but I think the fights are still entertaining and display some skill. I've had some especific Aeon training since then and I'm looking forward to face this guy again.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers/b/311977247

Played a little ugly today but managed to get 3rd. Won enough money to cover my tab at all you can eat sushi, which is what really counts.

timestamps:
1:45:50 - lol CoW ToW wtf vs Dinoz. Dat 22B
2:32:40 - vs BigRichez. Contrary to the commentator's own particular views, we don't play all the time. Barely touched the game since the last tourney. I think we've gotten maybe 2-3 real sets in since the game has been out. Anyway, dat 22B.
3:10:20 - vs B4K4. So if you can't tell by now, 22B is a pretty cool move.
3:49:30 - winners finals Partisan, losers finals Stryder. I pretty much get owned up, took a game off Partisan though. Neither is afraid to duck against Raph, but really they're not afraid to duck against any character. They just make solid reads. I tried to use the fear of 22B to do sidestep > throw at times, because throwing them after moving straight forward is almost impossible. Missed a lot of easy punishes on Oprah's BE attacks, I really just need to get my internet fixed and start playing again. Knowing punishes isn't the same as grinding them out in match.

So yeah not the most attractive Raph game, but it got me 20 bucks lol. And that sushi was delicious.

Back