Raphael Video Discussion

great matches, lol we both do 2A after landing 11k. also i diddnt know BigRichez was your roommate, i had a few matches against his nightmare maybe 5 days ago

http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers/b/311977247

Played a little ugly today but managed to get 3rd. Won enough money to cover my tab at all you can eat sushi, which is what really counts.

timestamps:
1:45:50 - lol CoW ToW wtf vs Dinoz. Dat 22B
2:32:40 - vs BigRichez. Contrary to the commentator's own particular views, we don't play all the time. Barely touched the game since the last tourney. I think we've gotten maybe 2-3 real sets in since the game has been out. Anyway, dat 22B.
3:10:20 - vs B4K4. So if you can't tell by now, 22B is a pretty cool move.
3:49:30 - winners finals Partisan, losers finals Stryder. I pretty much get owned up, took a game off Partisan though. Neither is afraid to duck against Raph, but really they're not afraid to duck against any character. They just make solid reads. I tried to use the fear of 22B to do sidestep > throw at times, because throwing them after moving straight forward is almost impossible. Missed a lot of easy punishes on Oprah's BE attacks, I really just need to get my internet fixed and start playing again. Knowing punishes isn't the same as grinding them out in match.

So yeah not the most attractive Raph game, but it got me 20 bucks lol. And that sushi was delicious.

Why is it that no one can spell your name correctly? It's says it right there in your username: KnownTnown. Clear as day.

Anyways, nice games. You don't like to use Prep much though, huh? It's probably for the better.

Edit: I'm curious: how would you go about beating Pyrrah Omega again now that you can see the match again? I've faced some really good Pyrrah O's and they beat me all the time online (of course, I kept falling for the same frame trap over and over again...).

Why is it that no one can spell your name correctly? It's says it right there in your username: KnownTnown. Clear as day.

Anyways, nice games. You don't like to use Prep much though, huh? It's probably for the better.

Edit: I'm curious: how would you go about beating Pyrrah Omega again now that you can see the match again? I've faced some really good Pyrrah O's and they beat me all the time online (of course, I kept falling for the same frame trap over and over again...).

Was that her 66B? That move is a bitch.

I know right? That'd be like me spelling your name Lneonynx or something. And no I don't like to use Prep much, I admit that Prep really does need some work before it's useful.

As for Oprah, I already know I missed punishing that guard breaking BE, I'll check the command when I practice again lol but you know the one. Only one he really used. I don't regard the matchup as being impossible or anything, Partisan is just on a different level than me right now from playing as much as he has. Watch for him to do big things at MLG this coming weekend.

Raph's game is about making them get impatient with your defensive play and do moves they shouldn't be doing, which means your punishment options need to be on point. If you leave free damage on the table, you're gonna fall behind. Also it's occurred to me that people have it all wrong when they think that playing against Raph is about stepping his options. Really, they need to stop YOU from stepping, not the other way around.

Remains to be seen what'll happen after the patch, if we'll have better offensive pressure options or not. Prep BBB giving a crumple isn't going to fix the problems with Prep, it'll just make 22B even stronger, which he REALLY didn't need lol. But I'll take it, of course.

great matches, lol we both do 2A after landing 11k. also i diddnt know BigRichez was your roommate, i had a few matches against his nightmare maybe 5 days ago

Partisan caught on to 2A, WS B immediately. I need to mix my options up better after a 2A but I already knew that. Just need to get back to playing some more, my internet still isn't fixed. Maybe it's not spiking like it does for me at the hours that BigRichez plays, but that doesn't do me any good lol. Plus it's entirely possible that he just plays through the lag and doesn't care, he played online in SC4 after all, whereas I didn't touch it. Partisan plays online every day with talented players like Hawkeye and LostProvidence, I've only had a couple practice sessions with local players since the last tourney. It's not surprising that there's a gap there, and that I've got some predictable patterns.

the mix up for me after the 2a if it hits is either grab orFC3b. most people dont wanna press buttons after getting hit by 2A so the FC3b is really only for those who catch on to my pattern. If people start blocking the 2A after 11k, then i just mix up between grab and 3b

Also against bigricherz the lag was there but it wasnt too bad. i dunno though maybe he has a different opinion on that.

the mix up for me after the 2a if it hits is either grab orFC3b. most people dont wanna press buttons after getting hit by 2A so the FC3b is really only for those who catch on to my pattern. If people start blocking the 2A after 11k, then i just mix up between grab and 3b

Also against bigricherz the lag was there but it wasnt too bad. i dunno though maybe he has a different opinion on that.

The issue with my connection right now is high spikes in latency. So while it may mostly feel good, it will spike and drop inputs, then return to normal with varying frequency and intensity. Problem was traced back to a main hub in the area, but they're waiting on a part to fix it. At least I'll be getting a refund for the time lost, lol.

Didn't think of using FC3B from 2A hit. I'll work it in there some when I can start playing again.

It Remains to be seen what'll happen after the patch, if we'll have better offensive pressure options or not. Prep BBB giving a crumple isn't going to fix the problems with Prep, it'll just make 22B even stronger, which he REALLY didn't need lol. But I'll take it, of course.

Namco still doesn't appear to understand what Raph needs to be a strong contender, either they don't know or don't care. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Although I finally got the game so I can start posting real shit myself soon which will be neat. Are we sure Prep BBB leaves them in crumple on frontal NH or something? It looked like Voldo was hella side turned and the vid cutaway too quick to see much so are we sure of this? It seems like a weird change to begin with.

Although I finally got the game so I can start posting real shit myself soon which will be neat. Are we sure Prep BBB leaves them in crumple on frontal NH or something? It looked like Voldo was hella side turned and the vid cutaway too quick to see much so are we sure of this? It seems like a weird change to begin with.
The clip has been carefully sliced to remove cues of what Raph was doing just beforehand, but he is hitting the Voldo in a stun state. I would guess it's 4(B), but I can't be sure.
I can't imagine that making anything better by itself. OTOH, if it is 4B... 4B a KND combo again. Only 4B, though - 3B strings will be excluded, I guess?

Yes it is going to be weird.

4B used to guarantee nothing. Its possible that both 4(B) and 4B guarnatee something now.

Was that her 66B? That move is a bitch.

Whatever that shield bash move is where kinda punches with her shield. I fell for that every time she did it, and she punished me well. I even knew that she was doing it to me, and I kept trying to attack. Then when I didn't attack, she would grab me, and I still haven't trained myself to break those on reaction or block while mashing a button so I got owned by that.

Basically, I have defensive issues with my game (at least, I think so). I tend to block for too long when I'm waiting to counterattack, and it screws me up. That, or I get into an aggressive mindstate and attack too much with unsafe moves or SE and Prep.

I've got some predictable patterns.

You and me both. I really liked your use of SE though. It seemed like you always hit SE B, even on Partisan. I try to put delay in my SE too, but I always feel like I'll miss the activation frames completely and just get a random B so I do it too early for it to track significantly.

You and me both. I really liked your use of SE though. It seemed like you always hit SE B, even on Partisan. I try to put delay in my SE too, but I always feel like I'll miss the activation frames completely and just get a random B so I do it too early for it to track significantly.

Partisan GId and JGd some of my SE B attempts, actually. When I was able to catch him, it was usually by holding down to stay in SE a little longer. He caught onto this later and stabbed me out of it. I tried to re-GI him some of those times and got two buttons instead of three haha, I was kind of upset. Just need to get back to playing the game again, taking 3 weeks off with fucked up internet isn't going to improve your game any.

nice raph.
some good reactions on those ce's. you can really see the more observant style raph needs to play without 22b here.

Thx. However, about the CEs, you're giving me more credit than I deserve. I usually perform them in anticipation, not on reaction. Miss quite a few of them, especially when my opponents keep moving sideways, instead of stepping and attacking quickly.

And sometimes I throw them like I'm crazy, when the opponent is likely to block. That's because I think like: I'll throw this low disadvantage move, he'll block and I'll CE to intercept him; but then they eat my move and I don't refresh my decision, so I throw the CE and they block it... and I FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Thx.

The whiff of A+BA wasn't expected by me. It usually works, but if the target turns a little to throw the strike I'm dodging, I'll hit them kind of at the side and they'll crumple in an unexpected angle. This is quite frequent vs Nightmare.

That 22B that whiffed came from one of my especific set ups for it: that BE on block. This is post-patch stuff. This set up didn't exist pre-patch, because the BE had a bigger disadvantage.

Darkfender often speaks as if meter is scarce for Raph. It really doesn't seem to me and I hope these videos can ilustrate it. If you have enough variety, you won't wanna throw BEs and CEs all the time, because you spend a lot a long time doing other things. Then, when you need the meter, it's there for you. I don't recall facing a Terminator Poker that doesn't allow me to charge my meter enough. Maybe I will, someday.

As for crouching, that's a little posing thing I often do. When I defeat a guy in FC, I remain in FC. Kinda like... I don't need to get up, I move only the necessary (as opposed to those guys who keep attacking the dead body). Plus, the FC animation is like in SC3, the little dance. He lost the little dance in standing position in SC4, but he still dances when FC and still holds his waste when moving.

Good Raph play!!! I noticed in the first video that A+BA whiffed after 22B...as expected. 1B, 3A, are the best options after 22B.
I've been in training mode with Rapheal for a while now (trying to test his 2B+K and 8B+K) and I've notice sometimes 1B misses on smaller characters depending on the angle. But found 33BB hits every time no matter what ukemi they do for 45 damage.

Here is some Post-Patch stuff:

Ew...Japanese Raphael...

Good videos though. All of my attention has been on ZWEI as of late, but these videos remind me of how fun he is to play. I guess when you step an attack, we're supposed to go for 33KB now? Is 22B even useful anymore when you're in range for 33KB?

Back