Raphael Video Discussion

Don't get me started on walls, dude ^_^

My videos don't really do justice to how many different mix-ups I have for there.

I call this one the "Classic" : SE B 1B 3A 2A B+G 3A 2A 663K 3A 3B BBB CE
and have about 6,945 variations if they think they can get savvy!

I just find that I like to move as little as possible with Raphael, at least when it comes to back-dashes. I find the main reason for this is that his moves have a range that will generally do a great job (at long range) of putting you in FRONT of your opponent, not hitting them. If you get what I mean.

I'm sure you've launched more than a few 236Bs to an opponent dancing at range that lands you standing in front of them like a sitting duck.

I find his moves are great off their own push-back, or via your opponent's push-back, but not from a post-range game.

To give an example, I might do 66K (block) G7 236B, G7 being the mix-up if 66K is blocked. I wont do a blank 236B out of nowhere for the same effect though, even at a similar range.

If they are just back-dashing over and over hoping for a charity wiff (a wiff you basically give your opponent out of frustration,) aggression will generally shut them up harder than keeping range yourself, on top of them doing the same.

I like to set up the range with preplanned... plans... Not based on just the current range.

I hope this gives a bit more insight into my play-style than my normal posts, which can sometimes be a bit devoid of actual info.

I have always been a proponent of "Team Risky", and there is a time and place for it, even in tournament matches.

Every tournament match (with very few exceptions) I start with the gimmicks - setting up SE B and Prep K and B throw into wall shenanigans, and if it works, I know I win. If it doesn't work, then I still have to measure up the skill level of my opponent. If they are bad, I rock more throw mixups and 33K BE (depending on how aggressive they are); however, if they are strong players (I go to a lot of NE USA tournaments, so lots of really strong players) I have to work on the more boring, safe styles, relying mostly on 2K and 2A.

Lots of people who play in tournaments are not very strong players, and these tactics can lead to a lot of impressive wins and should DEFINITELY be used. One of my favorite tournament memories was EVo 2009 (?) SC4 prep rushdown unsafe shenanigans into CE for the win on the big screen / stream, which was totally fun. Fuck your opponent, if he can't stop it, keep using it.

TL;DR - agressive style, and safe style, both work in tournaments; however, against opponents who are mroe comfortable with the matchup, or, who are very good at adapting, you'll need to be more clever, and generally more safe. But if it works, keep using it!

Hey guys, long time raph player and lurker. I finally arsed myself into uploading some videos again and thought I'd share some of my forays online. Criticism is most welcome.
Also found a couple of interesting gems, but I don't know if anyone else has run into these. For the life of me I can't recreate the viola raph CE situation, but the sig CE glitch is readily reproducible. Get in training and have sig do his CE and don't do anything with raph. When the screen does the cut-away animation for sig's CE input the B+K then (this only works at range, if the sword actually hits you, you're going to eat it).

but the sig CE glitch is readily reproducible. Get in training and have sig do his CE and don't do anything with raph. When the screen does the cut-away animation for sig's CE input the B+K then (this only works at range, if the sword actually hits you, you're going to eat it).
Thats actually not a glitch. All successive hits of CEs can be GI'd (like maxis for example). In siegs case the sword smash is considered the first hit of the CE (which is why you cant GI that one) and the ice is the second hit and onward, so GI works here.

Another trick against siegs CE is that once the intro animation starts, you can actually sidestep it (i personally would only do it at range though, the actual sword has more tracking than the ice).

Hey guys, long time raph player and lurker. I finally arsed myself into uploading some videos again and thought I'd share some of my forays online. Criticism is most welcome.
This you ?

Hello, Raphael friends, glad to see you again.

When i play with Leixia, it is difficult especially WS B, because Raph is very linear. So I tried to use 2or8 B+K for reverse WS B. I hope that you enjoy watching.
(1:05 in 1st video, 0:37 in 2nd. It works also Leixia's 2K(hit)->WS B.)

Bonus :
Patro is too hard to me.

Patro is too hard to me.
A good Patroklos is hella annoying to fight in general. This is especially the case for Raphael, since Patroklos has very strong anti-prep options (anything out of 236) and many powerful TC attacks that can beat out Raphael's 'best' tracking moves (chiefly highs). Attacking during advantage (or after blocking 1B ugh) honestly feels like a reverse mixup to me, since the risk/reward of reading between a step or a crouch is almost never in Raphael's favour. One thing that is important to remember, however, is that stepping anti-clockwise is usually the way to go, since 66B can't track in that direction. Spacing and punishing is especially important vs. Patroklos, so good job faring against him on that tiny stage. =P

You DID NOT jump over the opponent and scream "Enjoy!"

That is MY move, bro. NOT COOL. Reported....
Great minds think alike???

First, I just watched your first video. Just letting you know.

I want to congratulate you on stepping a Mitsu move that's actually supposed to track in that first round. You should probably practice counter hit confirming on your 6BB's and BB's since you missed some and were punished for going for them anyways (I'm guilty of missing plenty myself so you're not alone in that). Nice use of Prep K BE for the ring out, and you also had some nice spacing going on.

What's up guys? I primarily used Raph in a tournament this past weekend, any critique will be welcome! Kind, critical, mean, doesn't matter! I know I missed a few punishes in some cases, but yeah!
Its a huge stream, 9 hours plus (not sure how to just post clips) So heres a rundown of the matches I was in. My matches consist of, and start at:
3:00:22- Damon Vs. Ogami (Leixa)
3:21:30- Damon Vs. Tomahowk (Mitsu) -Ugh
4:03:00- Damon Vs. Binkley (Cervy)
4:17:00- Damon Vs. Spman (Cervy)
4:21:34-Damon Vs. Rocktapuss (Cervy)-favorite match of the tourney
And grand finals vs. Tomahowk following the Rocktapuss fight!

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/370608987

I tried and failed miserably to embedd...sorry!

You did fine overall because you won till the end it seemed, you know where you went wrong prolly. This said, punch yourself in the dick for so many Prep K BEs and 33KB BE~2B instead of 33KB BE~6BB~Prep~mixes. Also, there is back on the stick, Raph does not have to always be running forward.

What's up guys? I primarily used Raph in a tournament this past weekend, any critique will be welcome! Kind, critical, mean, doesn't matter! I know I missed a few punishes in some cases, but yeah!

I think the biggest problem was too linear attack in ambiguous situations. Probably in the situation -4 to +4 in frame, you looks like to believe that 3B.(or B series) but, if your opponent like to use side-step then you fall in a very difficult situation. Try A, 3A or Throw. Let's make the unexpectedness.

but, It was nervous because the competition? The latter play was great that advice colorless.

Back