Raphael Video Discussion

Trading with 3B after SE B -> use 3K to interrupt. You probably won't be whiff punished.

I can tell you haven't trained to Natsu PO sequences. This player did not respond but when she enters PO on blocked entry the best risk reward is to commit to countering one of her choices, step or interrupt. I don't remember the whole game but it's crucial. Stand and block after blocked 4A get you chopped up, the player will run away with the game.

I like the way you used throws. When you remembered to control positioning you did well. Think about what causes you to see everything statically.
Didn't watch Yoshi match.

edit:
I never noticed before, but BB pushes Yoshi out of range of his shit. I wonder how annoying a player could be with this.

Most of this advice is pretty solid, but there is one bit with which I disagree:

You also need to stop predictable Prep strings. BB / AB after an entry into SE or whatever is just so obvious that you really need to cut it out. Prep K more too, even if you don't wana do the BE;but based off of those empty 33K BEs - you're not afraid to burn that meter.

If you are doing something, and it works, it doesn't matter how predictable it is...abuse that shit until they prove that they can beat it. This didn't work so well against Natsu (cause her kit involves a lot of TC) but you adjusted fine there (though, I also feel like I need to say more 2A, and more whiff punish with 236B or something).

A lot of people feel like you need to play perfectly all the time - have killer strat and knowledge to be the best, and this is true, but in a tournament the setting is different. If something works against someone, spam that shit...run your prep shenanigans against these guys who clearly have no idea wtf to do -- force them to adjust to you and you'll win matches, which is exactly what you did.

Well done!

A lot of people feel like you need to play perfectly all the time - have killer strat and knowledge to be the best, and this is true, but in a tournament the setting is different. If something works against someone, spam that shit...run your prep shenanigans against these guys who clearly have no idea wtf to do -- force them to adjust to you and you'll win matches, which is exactly what you did.

Well done!
True, but there has to be a break point. Something could be 'working' in some measure, but not dealing a lot of damage (/ not creating ridiculous trap opportunities very quickly), but be a risky venture such that, if the opponent were to spring the counter or answer on you, he would take a much bigger payoff. Possibly greater than warranted.

Getting away with Sway B is good all of the time. The payoff for getting away with it is so huge, it's worth basically anything up until stopped.
Getting away with.... 8A+B, less arguably good, but having hori coverage and a GI window out a lot is nice.
"Getting away" with 3K. At this point you have to consider you're being played, and it's the opponent who is letting you think landing 3K is even relevant. It's just a trap that stops you from seeing better opportunities.

If you measure by the win of the round alone, there's going to be a lot of noise in that data. This goes back to playing perfect, so yeah, it's not practical to need an answer to this question. It's still there.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean. SE B is my first choice out of about 5 'main' the objectives. It's not a problem with success percentages;it's just 'I am aiming to land these moves as soon as I am almost guaranteed them, in this priority list.'

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean. SE B is my first choice out of about 5 'main' the objectives. It's not a problem with success percentages;it's just 'I am aiming to land these moves as soon as I am almost guaranteed them, in this priority list.'
I don't know how to elaborate on that. I agree, Sway, and particularly Sway B, are basically the best thing you could possibly be doing assuming you in fact execute it without interference.

One of a few. Wait for the rest, and enjoy.

This one is pretty old by the way, so I'm not as super-fly as I am now. (A3 and going, baby.)

EDIT: Here's another!

EDIT2: I am so kind today. ONE MORE!!! (The most recent one.)

EDIT3: HOLY SHITSTACKS, ZANAKEN;ANOTHER VID? :O - You lucky bastards. The last one for today, and the last old video I upload. I might throw out ONE more vid (Raph mirror match - Very recent,) but I wanted to get rid of some of my old ones I had lying around in my video folders.

I got back to Raph, between learning Maxi and Cervy. Here are a few videos. There is quite a bit of rust there, but I still found the fights entertaining. I tried to take a page out of Gohan's book and focus more on spacing and less on stances, but it is hard to avoid using Prep when I get over excited. :P

Wow! I was impressed by your use of 44A+B, Zanaken.

"shitstacks" >_______>
>_________________________________________________________>

Altair. Last vid. 3:08. I *** jizzed.
Regarding sway, I can't tell if that usage was better or worse in the end. You got disrespected a lot... but you won other rounds. I dunno. I guess , since it never looked like he was influenced by sway, and was just taking it by luck, I would have used the Prep K. Worth investigating what prep does to 236AB, can prep 4 evade it?
The previous vid Prep K BE to end the match, when you had the huge life lead, was smart.

Getting away with Prep AB = inexplicable. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I got back to Raph, between learning Maxi and Cervy. Here are a few videos. There is quite a bit of rust there, but I still found the fights entertaining. I tried to take a page out of Gohan's book and focus more on spacing and less on stances, but it is hard to avoid using Prep when I get over excited. :P

Nice vids. You'll get used to Raph again haha. Only criticism is Prep usage. As you said, you should space more and attack at distance and use Prep when the distance closes. That Patroklos player demonstrated that he was going to challenge Prep/SE every time with 236AB. Prep feignts followed by a punish would help here. 236AB is -16 on block.

Thx, guys.

About that 3:08 moment, I do love fighting at tip with Raph. It feels special with him.

About my Prep mistakes, yeah... I should have used more Prep K and used less Prep, overall, once he figured the 236AB.

The hardest rust stuff was following 22_88B on hit and punishing with 4(B).

Anyway, I've already abandoned Raph, again. I'm trying to learn Cervy. He is a beast.

Cervantes always struck me as Raphael on crack, or the closest you get. His auto-GI game is frighteningly easy to pull off. He can even use them after JG on the first hit of most AAs and BBs!

I'll keep that in mind. In fact, his pure aGIs are among the things I'm still getting comfortable with. I'm also having some trouble in conditioning his punishment from crouching and polishing my iGDRs. It should take a whilebefore I'm actually comfortable with him.

Cervy has some high damage responses to Prep (WS moves), but they aren't very consistent. As Raph, I'd recommend avoiding Prep AB, cause Cervy can punish it really hard. Prep 4 and Prep BBB are relatively OK vs Cervy.

Cervy has a very strong back step game, which means you should try lots of 236B or 66B as Raph, specially after blocking that awesome 99B (seriously... dat pushback!)

Cervy has many slightly unsafe awesome moves. Raph can take a big advantage of that, punishing Cervy where he isn't used to be punished. 6BB for your life, as Raph.

EDIT: I just found this video on Cervy's SA. Not from me. Thought it'd be cool to post it here. Seems pretty high level.

Been a while since I posted here. I'll see if i can upload some of my matches against hawkfalcon tomorrow.

^Or CE cause seriously not enough people use CE to punish stuff. You can punish a good chunk of people's 2K on block with CE if you do it fast enough.

Back