Rock matchups

Lariri

[08] Mercenary
I'm just getting in to this game, I don't have an Xbox/PS3 but sometimes get to play it at my cousins home... So... When playing online (as there's not many players around that I could play with offline...) I meet Yoda. I can't throw him so most of my combos don't work...

What am I supposed to do against him except bullrush all day and try to poke him with something like :2::B:? Usually the Yoda players aren't that good but when I meet a better one I just get my ass handed to me :(

Thought I shouldn't make a thread just to ask for help on Yoda but did it anyway. Maybe this can be a general match-up thread for Rock then :P

Please, help. Thank you.

Oh and 1st post.

6K, BB, 3B and bullrush him to death. 2B+K for fun. Yoda really sux.

He will die to critical finish

Sounds... bad. Well I guess that's about all I can do then...

Another tough one for me is Siegfried... Just because I don't know how to handle his stance where he puts the sword behind his back. I remember one Siegfried that just (mostly) used 3B to that kick and then something else, I tried to step it many times but never succeeded... :( Sad, I know.

Seems that he's in a disadvantage after I block it though... Block and 6K is the best for this kind of situation then? Any other ideas? :/ He also kills the Soul Gauge really fast so I don't want to stay there blocking all day and just wait to be CF'd.

(This is online, so I guess some problems I have might just account to lag.)

It sucks playing Siegfried online. If you block 3[B ] up close, 4B should be able to interrupt everything. 6A should be able to work as well. Both have good followups on counter hit.

WR B on Yoda? I'd think it's ultra risky, playing with two horrible hit boxes... Unless it somehow works better againt Yoda than anyone else.
Don't forget 22B for soul-crushing manlove.

So let's talk the Algol and Hilde match-ups.

Algol, best to out-turtle the guy and wait for an opening? Seems like it's near impossible to beat this guy's defense with Rock. His BB and horizontals space him out pretty well.

Hilde, once you get her in wake-up and throws, you got control. So let's talk HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ACTUALLY DO THAT.

Against Algol I typically count on throws more than usual and more than anything else...

I'm curious about what people will say for Hilde.
Rock might have a strange hit box against her doom combo, but it doesn't seem to make up for his weaknesses here.
Approaching menacingly usually works well for me, but not against Hilde... Baiting A+B doesn't seem to be wise either.

Okay, anti-Algol Bubble shield on the way.

At close range
66_33_99K- THE ANSWER to the bubble shield. The thing goes UNDER the first wave of bubbles. If they do a second wave, Rock will usually trade, which is OKAY, because the bubble pulls rock in, ensuring he gets a clean head first ground throw. This is the target counter if you can land it.
2A+K- You will go under the bubble early, and get hit towards the end (which is okay). The bubble pulls you in to ensure you will be in range for a ground throw.

At mid range, if Algol does the split bubbles, FC B or a single B will hit him. BB will ensure Rock gets hit by the slow bubbles as he advances forward, so only do a single B. The range on single B is VERY long, so keep that in mind. 1A also works, but best to do it off a step.

At far range, Algol must be stupid to pull a bubble shield from this far, but...
A+B- you'll get him. This is your best long-range counter.
22B (NOT 88B)- note that Rock steps to his left when he does this move, so 22B is better in that it keeps you in front of him in order to avoid the split bubble. If it's a slow single bubble, then do 88B instead

GI is the true answer to Algol, everything else is very situational.

Hilde is one of rock's better matchups, she can't control him in this matchup at all, just keep 2King and bullrushing with throws and 6K. 2A+K is abusable vs her when in range etc. What particular problems are u having?

Well, I was destroyed by an Algol yesterday, but that's because I've never played against one. So now that I know a few more things, it shouldn't be as hard. Granted, the player I was going up against was better than me, so I would have lost regardless of who I picked.

I never played a Hilde either. But it seems everyone keeps saying she's not that hard for Rock. I guess it's not possible for that many people to be wrong. I just feel the match pretty much comes down to whether you can her into wake-up. After that, it should be easier?

D:

hilde vs Rock is only possible if you know what to look out for against hilde.... in general.. step guard more... look out for her charge Bs she will only do it at certain times you play hilde enough it's really not that hard to fight against her.... just don't try to run against her head on... move in slowly. and when you're in 6K range... it's not a bad idea to throw that out.. it kills most of hilde's moves.

-LAU

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Now, on to Setsuka, the slut with an umbrella. I'm running into the same problem I did in SC3. Step 33B and keep away space. Rock's useless unless he gets within 3B range, and everything she's got spaces me out. I feel like I'm trying to get in more than I am trying to not get hit. Suggestions?

setsuka vs rock is probably one of his hardest match ups imo....

the bitch can punish everything and her 214/umbrella and other nasty stuff is annoying as hell

JF PT vs setsuka is cool but landing a JF PT on her is so hard.

in general playing against setuska keep the following in mind.

at far/mid range she's got no mixups.... she's doing high moves or mid moves ONLY...
at far range her choices are pretty much down to a very linear 33B (step to your left) or 66A (high move duck and BR her... or 1A)
when she's mid/close range... you can pretty much step most of her stuff on both sides.... her moves don't really push back much so... on block you definitely get a guaranteed 6K/throw mixup. Step guard duing close range is a good strategy. Throwing on block is good too until she starts ducking it then here comes knees.

against umbrella after you block it i believe you get a free 3B...

-LAU

I KNOW you get a free 3B. I just feel that Rock sucks until he is within 3B range. That's my rule of thumb. So getting into that range feels like a chore against setsuka. And yes, JF PT hitting is near impossible due to her push out.

D:
against setsuka....

don't try to get in.. she'll come to you... trust me on this one.

she's got like 0 mixup outside of Rock's 3B range.... and those moves she does.. can't kill your gauge either... she's really not that good at gauge killing...

so against her.. it's more about being patient, she'll eventually move in herself naturally...

-LAU

anti kilik:

11K (BLOCKED) -> CT beats out a lot of stuff kilik does.. because kilik is a bastard with all his FC/WS stuff are TC... the only thing you gotta watch out for is if he does WS K... but if he does that ... start GIing

-LAU

Back