SC Community needs to move on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think X in SC3 is still the most broke character the series has ever produced. So SC4s character balance is at least better than SC3s not to mention the lack of VC so we are much better off than we were before IMHO.

SC4 is probably the most balanced game in the series. But as I've said before, Hilde ban has nothing to do with balance; it has to do with keeping up people's enjoyment with the game. Yes, the EC community is smaller than it was 6 months ago when we started the ban, we EXPECTED this. But how much smaller would the community be now, if Hilde was still around? TWO major EC monthlies have been cancelled, and FOUR tournaments have sprung up to take their place. Show me another community with this dedication.

I've said many times that the ban is not expecting to "bring people back"; its about staving off the rate of exodus in favor of other fighting games. Its not that EC keeps on playing, its that now more than ever, people WANT to play. People are enjoying the game, and there is a lot less bickering and saltiness during tournaments. I'll take that over holding up the "integrity" of the game any day. If you can't understand the motives of this ban, and keep on going on about "balance", when it has NOTHING to do with balance... stop posting.

I know these pages are already filled with overgeneralized statements, but I'm sure more than 7 people disagree with banning Hilde.

Myself included.

I know these pages are already filled with overgeneralized statements, but I'm sure more than 7 people disagree with banning Hilde.

Myself included.
You're right. I actually disagree, too, now that I remember tournaments are supposed to be a way of proving yourself under any condition. Just a big test, basically.

Damn, I just remembered that I'm a local NC player that can't make it to majors due to finances. I'm one of the expendable ones who only go to college tournaments that have no Hilde dominance, my bad guys.

I just want to point out, with respect to Idlemind's decision to uphold the ban and whatever I decide for DEV in the near future...

Tournament organizers can do whatever they want, this is true. But one of the main reasons for running a tournament is to see people come out an play. DEV will support SC as long as we can, but if 5 people show up this year and next year, it's unlikely we'd continue to support it (until a new game hits).

We obviously want the best of the best to show up. RTD is SC legend. Cedric is SC new blood. Throw in some Aris and Mick for that classic SC taste, maybe some S_U for a bit of drama, and the international players for that special guest factor and you've got an amazing tournament. But without 20-50 novice to average players, the 8 or so I just named wouldn't be enough for SC4 to continue getting support from majors.

If the ban brings in those 20-50 players, then that's great. Perhaps a few of those 20-50 will reach the level of the top players. However, a tournament organizer has to weigh the importance of the top players vs. a good turnout. They also have to determine how much of an impact the ban would have on both.

I posted in the SoCal thread and the general consensus seems to be that the ban should be upheld. I posted in the NorCal thread, but no one has gotten back to me. The GAMME thread seems to be fairly positive since the ban was upheld. All of this factors into what our decision will be at DEV.

tl;dr - Tournament organizers do whatever we want, but we still want people to show. Top players, novice players and everyone in between.

Hahaha! I love you guys.

DrDogg: You said one very important thing. The organizer has to weigh the importance of turn-out vs. top players. For this reason alone, there should be no complaints about rules ever!!! A true competitor does not care what the rules are. He just wants to compete!

It took me about 2 pages to figure out EC= East Coast. I was being creative in filling in the blanks for EC. Don't ask what I was coming up with.

I think "saving" SC is near impossible. These days, it seems NB promotes the cycle policy of pushing Tekken, then SC, and rotating. Regardless of how good SC may be (and I do find it better than any fighter out there due to balance) Hilde/Algol just make the game boring. It's balanced, but boring... wow, so now we're complaining about boring making the game bad.

Hahaha! I love you guys.

DrDogg: You said one very important thing. The organizer has to weigh the importance of turn-out vs. top players. For this reason alone, there should be no complaints about rules ever!!! A true competitor does not care what the rules are. He just wants to compete!
So then a top player should say... okay, Hilde has been banned... I guess I should switch to Amy or Voldo. Amy and Voldo are better than Hilde anyways; but as I said before, the ban has nothing to do with balance. Its about making sure we get the turn-out and the enjoyment of the game. Sure, the "pros" know that Amy and Voldo are the tops; but when a scrub loses to those characters, they don't feel cheated, they just feel like they got PWNED. When a scrub loses to Hilde, they lose their interest as well.

Okay, I promise this is my absolute last post in this thread. I want to simplify what I've learned for everybody!

On the one hand, as a competitor, you should not ASK for a ban. That just makes you look phony.
On the other hand, as a community member, you should not STOP a ban. That just makes you look selfish.
Weigh both. Use your judgment.

With all that taken into consideration, I'm for a ban only because it might make everything better overall. I'm still against bans by principle, though. But what does it matter? It's not like being for a ban in this case suddenly affects my self-esteem. Nobody but me can decide how competitive I really am. So I'll take one for the community if need be. Peace.

I will be pessimistic, but this is what this thread encourages, if you take this seriously.

I think its too late for SC4.

SoCal stopped playing, b/c of Hilde (I dont know about the rest of USA)
Omega went to EVO and stopped playing after. DR had a community, they posted lots of video. Now its gone. I talked to them on MSN. Its b/c of Hilde.
Korea went to Evo, they had vids until then , they had a community. Yes Kura went to army. But when I checked them last time on MSN, they play SC2 now. b/c of Hilde.
Russian community had players, although many were not very good, yet there were tournaments for this game monthly. After last major event, which Hilde won - there are no more tournaments for SC4 in russia.
France still has some good competition, there were no Hilde players untill now. Now with Dina mastered Hilde, and Cannes coming soon - this community will fall apart. At least it will lose many, many good players.

All of this is way too late to save the game. you can keep what you have still, by banning the bitch but lose some of the best competitors. Will the game stay as fun for S-U and other top players who are already few if you remove RTD and Cerinian? Whatever you chose - this game will NO LONGER be about competition. This is just some casual gatherings of people who love the game too much to switch. With or without Hilde.

People on this thread - talk, but do not hear each other. Every side has provided solid reasoning, but each failed to hear it. Istead you look for something different in their pointview and blame them blind.
When Ban Hilde topic first arised it was right on spot and much needed. Community said their NO. Now isnt it too late?

Okay, I promise this is my absolute last post in this thread. I want to simplify what I've learned for everybody!

On the one hand, as a competitor, you should not ASK for a ban. That just makes you look phony.
On the other hand, as a community member, you should not STOP a ban. That just makes you look selfish.
Weigh both. Use your judgment.

With all that taken into consideration, I'm for a ban only because it might make everything better overall. I'm still against bans by principle, though. But what does it matter? It's not like being for a ban in this case suddenly affects my self-esteem. Nobody but me can decide how competitive I really am. So I'll take one for the community if need be. Peace.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! don't leave...

Seriously tho, i think this is well put. And i agree with this 100%.

Just read belial's post...

will comment at my lunch break

There are also other n00bs out there like Tiamat etc. who feel like they can't compete without the edge that these characters provide.

That's some serious bullshit. Last tourney I played in Algol was allowed and I didn't use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back