SC5 Voldo Wishlist and Discussion

Sporko

Big Gimpin
Voldo is inarguably top tier in this game. Many people, myself included, believe Voldo to be the best character in the game other than Hilde and Algol.

As such, there are a lot of Voldo players out there at the moment and more people seem tobe picking him up over time, whether it be for the purposes of using him as a second/new main or just to learn about him so as to better fight him.

I've expressed the opinion many times on the forum that I sort of wish he weren't quite as good as he was just so that there wouldn't be so many people playing him. After playing him so much since SC 2, I've developed an affinity for the character. So much so that, if he weren't in SC4 I would never have bought the game, honest to god. ((though I'd probably buy 5 if he werne't in it now, just because now it's more about the community to me than the game)).

So I'd like to ask a few questions of you all, from one Voldo player to another (and another, and another and so on depending on how many people answer, heh).

1. Are you happy with how good Voldo is in 4?

2. Would you still play Voldo if he weren't A tier? If he wasn't A tier, where would you draw the line? Would you still play him if he were in the same tier as Talim, Zas, etc?

3. If it meant Voldo was as scarcely used as a main character as characters like Zasalamel, Seong-Mina, Talim, Raphael, etc, would you be ok with Voldo being low to mid tier? Even still, would you just be ok with it or would you prefer it?

There's no right or wrong answers, I'm not even really trying to prove a point, it's just sometimes I wish my playing him didn't make me "just another Voldo player". It's pretty stupid, I'm already well aware, but I've always felt a strong personal attachment to a character when I main them in a fighting game and in a weird way I sort of wish I was "that Voldo guy", sort of how InsaneKhent is starting to become almost synonymous with Seong Mina. I was wondering what you guys thought, especially the Voldo players who picked him up before SC4

Question about Voldo players andwhat they'd pr

1) Yes

2) Yes - No line drawing. But X would become Primary.

3) Yes, but i wouldnt prefer it because obviously he wouldnt be as equipped for situations. :S

Tier didn't bother me in any other game, so it wouldn't bother me here.

i would definately use him ne ways, the reason i use him is hes fun to use, i could care less about tier, but now that all these other ppl use him, ppl know him so much better so its not as easy to use against ppl

I've never used another character in a tourney aside from Voldo since SC2.

I just happened to luck out with him being so damn powerful in SC4 =)

Yes to all your questions.

EDIT: Indeed Ando, been playing Voldo since the original SB and SC1 as well ~

-Manta-

I've never used another character in a tourney aside from Voldo since SC2.

I just happened to luck out with him being so damn powerful in SC4 =)

Yes to all your questions.

-Manta-

i say the same to this statement, except ive been a voldo player since soul blade. that's committment.

IN SC3...Taki was really good, but suffered against X. I've always hated X.

Then I remembered i10 BS A

Yes better tools to beat X!!

and then I remembered (or intuitively knew, which I find happens alot with me in this game) that he had some roll cancelling nonsense....

Then it was A+B~G for days.

Somehow I knew Namco had plans for Voldo. He fought Taki in the intro and was keeping up. I think she was gaurding where Soul Edge was.

Anyways. Namco loves Voldo.

6:6B JF
236~G!!!
BS 66A+G Male
WAY MORE LF MT POTENTIAL

So in the end, I like characters that take that extra bit if skill but are rewarding to use. Thats why I went from MITSU-->TAKI-->VOLDO

Whose next?!?! I know they have plans for Amy, but Tira intrigues me....

I have been playing voldo since 2 and as much as I wish that I was one of the only voldo players I also like winning. I guess if the made him good and realtively easy to use ( unlike setsuka, who is hella hard to pick up and top tier) bandwagon players would eventually start playing him. Though I seem to do extremely well in the mirror match so I am not to worried.

plus I am picking up sets because no plays her ( the original reason I picked up voldo) and leaning how to play as her i think will make me a better player due to her inherent difficulty.

1. Yes. He's never been this fun to play before.
2. Yes. I wouldn't play him if he were below mid-tier.
3. Mid-tier yes, but not below.

Assuming there actually is going to be a Soul Calibur 5, and assuming Voldo's going to be in it, what type of changes to him would you like to see?

Personally, i'd like Voldo to be a little more unsafe, but also have more cancels and various other tricky things, as well as improvements to some of his useless moves(CR AA, 11K, etc). I'd also like for Voldo to have better step in facing(SS and backstep), an improved okizeme game, and a manual entry into BS again. Voldo's oki game in SC4 isn't that good, to be honest; though, maybe it only seems like that because i've been using Nightmare a lot recently. Voldo's gauge game should also be toned down a bit, as it's pretty ridiculous right now. One other little thing i'd like would be to be able to attack faster when I enter MC and LF. More tracking on MCHT 66 would be cool too.

That's about all I can think of right now, but i'm sure you guys will be able to come up with better change lists than me. I'm also fairly sure i'd be making Voldo overpowered, but in a slightly different way than he is now.

i want..
the voldo recovery cancel back aka VRC
manual input for blind stance
give him back SC2 3A+K. allows voldo to go from normal standing facing forward to MCHT
a hitbox for 66MCFT just like SC2
improved shenanigans in mantis crawl and all around
i guess i really want SC2+SC4=SC5 voldo

i dont want...
to be nerfed at all with current movelist, Paragon049 why tone him down? ;p
for his old moves to have new inputs. if you've played voldo in past games you know what im talking about.
if he is nerfed on gauge damage or frames just make him competitve and most importantly FUN
none of the bullshit.

i dont want...
to be nerfed at all with current movelist, Paragon049 why tone him down? ;p

Because I am a big baby and am sick of people saying Voldo's broken and/or overpowered. Actually if just his gauge game was worse and nothing else was changed, Voldo would probably drop a bit on the tier list and maybe even slip into high tier. I'd be pretty happy with that, honestly.

Also, I agree with you on the SC2+SC4 Voldo part. Jesus that would be amazing.

Goofus, VRC was a glitch, mayne, so I don't mind it not being in the game anymore. I miss it too though.

I do agree with everything on your list. I'd like to add a few things to it.

Definately make the hitbox on Mantis Crawl 66 wider. It is so bad that even if you're slightly off axis, the move will whiff. Even Voldo can step it easily.

Also I'd like to see Voldo line himself up faster while in Mantis Crawl. Sure, there are work arounds for this by transitioning into Death Roll then back into Mantis Crawl, but that's not good enough.

Also when Voldo is in Mantis Crawl with his feet towards the opponent, he doesn't seem to have a hitbox for MCFT 66.

Bring back SC2-3's 1Bk 66, and make it a natural combo on counterhit again.

Give Voldo back his SC2 move from Blind Stance 4BB. Also, Blind Stance 4B5B.

Give Voldo SC2's While Landing K.

Soul Calibur 2's 236A4AA

Make 236[A+B] G cancelable again.

Yeah, because it should be obvious to quick turn back, and somehow Voldo can't do this, lol.

My wishlist:

1. 236/CR A+B UB cancel - I dunno why he can't resist temptation to RO himself with this move...

2. 66K cancel to BCR - because 66K itself isn't too safe, but it could be used for fast transition to BCR.

3. A+K should be more useful - for example, repeating A+K cause losing energy, but could avoid more moves, including nc.

4. 22/88 A with other imput - nice move, but hard to fast execute, since incomfortable imput. Give it maybe something on R or L ?

Back