SCV Ivy FAQ & General Discussion

Has anyone explored 8A+BB or 8A+BB hold as a go-to whiff punisher? It's rather quick with good range and has good NH damage in comparison to her other attacks. Although 88B hold is her best whiff punisher, it is only accessible if cancelled out of a step.

Also, there are certain situations where iFC 1B hold is not only a great whiff punisher, but is top swag.

Has anyone explored 8A+BB or 8A+BB hold as a go-to whiff punisher? It's rather quick with good range and has good NH damage in comparison to her other attacks. Although 88B hold is her best whiff punisher, it is only accessible if cancelled out of a step.

Also, there are certain situations where iFC 1B hold is not only a great whiff punisher, but is top swag.

I usually use 1,2,3 B+K as whiff punisher, but 8A+B is faster.

REAL MEN WHIFF-PUNISH WITH iCS, SCRUB. STEP YOUR GAME UP.

How are you the mod for this arena?

Has anyone explored 8A+BB or 8A+BB hold as a go-to whiff punisher? It's rather quick with good range and has good NH damage in comparison to her other attacks.
Doesn't 1_2_3B+K 1_2_3B+K do good damage? I'm not sure of the comparison with 8A+B(B) though.

i22 versus i26 is an important distinction for whiff punishing. 1_2_3B+K can be nice for the guard damage but it won't reliably punish as many common whiffs. It's comparable to the difference in whiff punishing between Mitsu's 66BB and 236(B).

A+G BE is the one BE I can't justify using unless you're swimming in meter, don't have CS buffered, and want to kill someone who's at more than 50 health but less than 65. When it clean hits, it does a nice 81 damage for the investment of a BE throw... which isn't often.

A+G BE is the one BE I can't justify using unless you're swimming in meter, don't have CS buffered, and want to kill someone who's at more than 50 health but less than 65. When it clean hits, it does a nice 81 damage for the investment of a BE throw... which isn't often.
I never had to buffer for CS. But then again I just spin the control stick like crazy. Ha. But apologies for getting the wrong move. I use A+G BE to just throw someone off or just have like you said, a lot gauge.

I mainly use that grab when people are constantly breaking my CS and are playing so safe that I can't block/JG punish with 1B BE. Usually when you grab them a ew times with it they'll stop constantly breaking CS so you can CS them again.

Apparently you can punish Cervy's aB with a significantly more damaging 9B. Jump B has two active frames with different reaches but it's actually i17, not i18 like the wiki says. Against down targets and at tip range it's i18, but otherwise i17. 6A does have a tiny bit more i17 reach than 9B, so if you're really unsure of the reach or just want to stick with +s on hit stick with 6A.

I know I have probably mentioned this before, but BT opponents can duck Ivy's CE while turning around even after the animation freeze. This is important to know for post 6B+K AT and 44[A] AT mixups and even after 88A on NH. During CE, Ivy's hand will just appear to phase through opponents, and opponents can even punish with standing launchers. The optimal mixup here is grab/3B. On certain opponents, you will get a backgrab, and on others you will get a sidegrab. CS seems decrease the chance of backgrab as opposed to standard grab. If the opponent opts to crouch, 3B is likely to NH combo with 6B8. However, this is also character specific.

I've been playing Ivy alot recently, to great extent, she has amazing pokes, great NCC combo's and her oki is really good. However, I've found that when I play her a problem often occurs. Similar to Raphael and Leixia, I feel that Ivy has a very comeback game, by which I mean. When she doesn't have a life lead or if she has a significant life disadvantage, then the game is already lost for her? I'm not a golden Ivy player so I have trouble with this, but I have to ask.

What are you favourite moves and tools that let you comeback from a round thats gone completely sour for you?

I'm always scared to use close range moves when I'm one mixup away from dieing, so I guess we just have to go all or nothing, instead of playing turtle?
Yeah. Turtling is a bit harder when your opponent has the life lead, especially once they start forcing you to come to them. I'd also like to add that step 3b is a great mixup tool, as it leads to good damage and is safe under most circumstances.

Yeah, CE is perfect for a comeback. Especially since CEs do more damage when your life is low:

23-20 HP = 105% damage boost
19-15 HP = 110% damage boost
14-10 HP = 115% damage boost
9-1 HP = 120% damage boost
(credit to Slade)

Of course, the opponent will likely be expecting a CE when you are near death. This will make your 2A+B, 3B, and 3A mids much stronger. 3A on hit is great for getting to that range where CE will definitely hit unless the opponent ducks. Another way to land a CE is as a post GI option against CLOSE range attacks. So basically, even if you have 1 HP left and your opponent has half life, with at least 3 bars of meter you're one GI away from taking the round.

Can someone shed some light for me on, 1B BE(block) > 6B8K being guaranteed(?)

That's character specific. If I had to guess why it doesn't work on some chars it'd be that their hurtbox doesn't connect with 6B8K till its 13th active frame, which wouldn't "punish" 1B BEs blockstun. Check the Ivy character specifics thread which is stickied. I'd copy/paste but it doesn't work on my phone. It was tested by Ring, and it's the last item on the list.

Last edited:
Back