SCV Story Mode is only 1/4 of the Planned Size

TamJamming

[09] Warrior
Credit to a user named Aiddon for posting this article in another thread. I thought I would re-post it as its own thread.

Read the article (posted March 26th) here.

According to the article, Project Soul had originally designed the story to be 4x the length of its current form.

Also, a very important quote from the Odashima himself that makes me feel a bit better about all this:

"He added that many of the other planned stories got full voice-overs during SoulCalibur V's development, but there has been no decision on how to use them yet.

'Actually, some of the voice-overs are already taken but haven't been used, so we want to make use of it somehow, but we don't know how that's going to be.' he said".

I don't know about you folks, but this is giving me some hope. Obviously, PS is well-aware of the skimped Story Mode. Perhaps some Story DLC down the line? Who knows.

What IS obvious however, is that PS took the story very very seriously, but lacked the necessary time and manpower to do so.

Your thoughts? Discuss :)

What T.Rex said. Otherwise, I'm hoping for DLC story. It's makes me quite sad (cue sad violin music) that the story was supposed to be 4X longer and there was supposed to be individual stories that we could have gotten to see. But I think they will figure out a way in the end to somehow include it. Either through DLC or another game. Hopefully...

Hey, this is good news. It seems they really wanted a solid story for us. Here's hoping somewhere down the line a patch will be in for a proper story mode, and revisions of achievements/trophies associated if required.

I feel bad for Daishi, I'm sure he was just as upset as we were about the story mode. We knew from the beginning that it was rushed, unfortunately. Daishi knew it too. I was hoping they would do story dlc because of this very reason. Hopefully, he also releases character dlc, cause I'm sure the bottom row of "characters" we have, wouldn't have been mostly mimics in the first place. Damn you, Namco "Leave Britney Daishi alone!"

I read somewhere long ago that they had planned SCV for a March initial release or something...but simply couldn't. Sigh~

Ok, Daishi and the rest of Project Soul wanted to give us a story mode worth liking but Namco screwed them over. I feel bad knowing that Daishi and the PS crew didn't have enough time.

Oh wow. I actually feel bad for Project Soul now. They actually wanted SCV to be the best game of the series, but lacked the time to do so. Stupid Namco. Had they not rushed them like that, SCV could have been so much better. I'm hoping for a patch, or DLC, or even a new updated game so that Project Soul can give us the game that they wanted to and possibly restore some people's faith in the Soul Series as well as Project Soul itself.

It seems that the rest of story will likely be planned for the next installment, or as DLC (Probably the next installment). Who really knows at this point? But I do understand that the timing just wasn't as planned.

They should have realized their script with constant dog insults and Patroklos killing people because they're pale and filthy was so bad they'd either scrap the entire story mode or start from scratch. I actually hope the rest of the story mode doesn't get used. They need to get the basics right (which is actual good writing for the story and dialogue) before they even consider having a new story mode.

They should have realized their script with constant dog insults and Patroklos killing people because they're pale and filthy was so bad they'd either scrap the entire story mode or start from scratch. I actually hope the rest of the story mode doesn't get used. They need to get the basics right (which is actual good writing for the story and dialogue) before they even consider having a new story mode.

What were you expecting, Ulysses? Come on.

Blows my mind that people expect the story of a fighting game to be some great work of literature. These guys aren't writers, they're game developers. And they'll never hire writers for a fighting game, unless they're Warner Brothers and they already have fleets of writers on staff. :P

I for one hope they put those unused assets to work.

So they planned more random encounters with some concept arts in between? For me the Story Mode was not bad because of its length. I couldn't stand a four times longer story mode.

For me a story mode (in SC) should be like this (being realistic):
  • introducing story text
  • 6 random fights
  • 1 rival fight (e.g. Maxi vs. Astaroth etc., maybe with intro cutscene)
  • 1 boss fight (Edgemaster style)
  • ending á la SCIII with good/bad ending or at least a character specific ending
  • some character related stuff unlocked e.g. a wallpaper, ending, character sheet, character model, new weapon only unlocked through story mode
Efforts to achieve this would be less than programming the disappointing story mode we have now (my opinion). The saved time (if there were; maybe equally time-consuming) could have been spent on a weapon master mode or something comparable.

What were you expecting, Ulysses? Come on.

Blows my mind that people expect the story of a fighting game to be some great work of literature. These guys aren't writers, they're game developers. And they'll never hire writers for a fighting game, unless they're Warner Brothers and they already have fleets of writers on staff. :P

I for one hope they put those unused assets to work.
I'm not expecting the greatest thing of all time. I just want anything which isn't absolute trash and makes me think I wasted my time playing the story mode.

I'm not convinced that fighting games are not allowed to have good storylines. People in general thought Mortal Kombat and Blazblue had good story modes, right?

Or better yet, they could focus on gameplay when creating the story mode than the story itself. Even the story mode in SC4 was more fun to play considering they added a basic team battle/tag mechanic.

I'm not convinced that fighting games are not allowed to have good storylines. People in general thought Mortal Kombat and Blazblue had good story modes, right?

While I agree, I have to make myself think realistically. Because there's a part of my brain that wants to hold everyone and everything to a high standard, you know? Especially things I spend time and money on.

But honestly I read Conan novels and watch cheesy kung fu movies and generally spend a lot of time with entertainment that you could call drivel. I just take it for what it is. I don't expect these Japanese software engineer guys to give me an awesome story. They make a hell of a game though.

Back