SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

yeah man congrats Signia! alot of people underestimate yoshi. once we all start winning tournaments everyone will say he's OP and nerf him lol and make a:B+K only work on standing opponents lol

Throwface jumped over my FC3K with Cerv's 9(B+K) full yomi style, got the CH stun and then 66B'd me for a ringout in our game point for an MLG match. Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen in Soulcalibur.

I figured something out playing him and Hates online. A+K will almost entirely blow up Cerv's main options after 4B (BE). It will grant you the counter hit stun for BT B, BT A, BT K, BT B+K, and any throw (that's the weird thing, BT throws give them a forward motion for far longer than normal throws so the window is much larger to knock them out of it with A+K). The only option that beats it is BT 2K which I am 100% fine with giving up. This is really great to know since 4B (BE) generates a lot of momentum and pressure for Cerv and creates a 50/50 almost every time. Before figuring this out I've been trying to JG the B+K and spamming a throw break which never ends very well.

Throwface jumped over my FC3K with Cerv's 9(B+K) full yomi style, got the CH stun and then 66B'd me for a ringout in our game point for an MLG match. Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen in Soulcalibur.

I figured something out playing him and Hates online. A+K will almost entirely blow up Cerv's main options after 4B (BE). It will grant you the counter hit stun for BT B, BT A, BT K, BT B+K, and any throw (that's the weird thing, BT throws give them a forward motion for far longer than normal throws so the window is much larger to knock them out of it with A+K). The only option that beats it is BT 2K which I am 100% fine with giving up. This is really great to know since 4B (BE) generates a lot of momentum and pressure for Cerv and creates a 50/50 almost every time. Before figuring this out I've been trying to JG the B+K and spamming a throw break which never ends very well.

Hah yeah sorry he's pretty experienced in that matchup, especially with his back to the edge, since I constantly push him to edge with my pressure. To get the most mileage out of Yoshi you have to make use of his stage control and ringout ability.

Along with 9(B+K), against Cervy you also have to be afraid of one of his aGIs where he swings around and sends you out of the ring if it hits, and it counters all horizontals. That opens him up to iMCF and delayed attacks, though.

He and I know about the A+K thing, too. If Cervy baits it out he gets a free 3B. Be sure to mix up between step, A+K, and mid/throw, never just stand there.

When there's an opportunity to ringout, just go for it unless you feel really predictable. The risk/reward is probably in your favor, since a ringout does 100% damage!

Damn Signia, you are balling on MLG.
Idk if you saw me at rank 1 when you posted this but a few hours ago, the four people below randomly got a HUGE xp boost without having played any matches today. Notice the 150 discrepancy between my score and RTD's. Both of us are 16-1.

Somehow our win streaks got switched, too. He won 16 straight and then lost 1, resetting his streak to "1L" while I lost my first match only (both our singular losses were to MateoGalvan btw) and had a 15 win streak going strong, till I won one more for my 16th win. That's when it all got screwed up -- it says I have a "1W" streak now when I haven't lost since my first match and RTD now has a 15 win streak.

I can't explain Enkindu's, killa6's, and Mateo's xp boosts either, but now I'm in 5th :(

How hurt is my Yoshimitsu if I can't use aB+K or iMCF?
You basically miss out on all his big combo damage. Which gimps Yoshi badly, since his reach and base damage isn’t great. Against average opponents you can still win with a combination of fakes, lows, stance mixups, unblockables, grabs, fast pokes, good reads, etc., but against good opponents it’s a very uphill battle.

Has anyone noticed that sometimes when you get your guard broken late in a round it will stay red for the next? That shit is ridiculous.

what?? no

It's happened to my roommate against me once offline and it just happened against Heaton a few matches ago. They weren't saved because of his ghetto internet. If it happens again I'll make sure to upload a replay.

Wow, 8A almost instantly TJs. Try it on your favorite low.

TJ, huh? But isn't there also a TC window? []

No, it has no TC frames. I don't know why the guide says that. If you try and use it to duck a high, Yoshi gets hit and is in an airborne state as if he were hit out of the air, even though he was on the ground as far as we could see. I tested it and it TJs at i3, so that explains Yoshi's ghost legs.

I think the whole "TC" thing might be because you can't grab an opponent who's TJ, and they assumed that since the grab went over Yoshi's head that it has TC frames, even though TJ frames would do the exact same thing. Either way, 8A is a good move, and even though it looks like it takes ages to get up in the air, he has TJ frames near instantaneously. Go hit the lab and see what you can find.

My freebie for you: whenever you see Siegfried do WR AA or SBH A, do 8A immediately and you'll evade the second hit and punish the cancel in one move.

Huh...fascinating. Good to know though, so I don't try to duck under stuff with it. Especially because if you do a move directly out of SDGF, the health loss is minimal. []

No, it has no TC frames. I don't know why the guide says that. If you try and use it to duck a high, Yoshi gets hit and is in an airborne state as if he were hit out of the air, even though he was on the ground as far as we could see. I tested it and it TJs at i3, so that explains Yoshi's ghost legs.

I think the whole "TC" thing might be because you can't grab an opponent who's TJ, and they assumed that since the grab went over Yoshi's head that it has TC frames, even though TJ frames would do the exact same thing. Either way, 8A is a good move, and even though it looks like it takes ages to get up in the air, he has TJ frames near instantaneously. Go hit the lab and see what you can find.

My freebie for you: whenever you see Siegfried do WR AA or SBH A, do 8A immediately and you'll evade the second hit and punish the cancel in one move.
Why not do 9B or 9K though? Those moves are airborne just as fast (i3) by my testing. I'm pretty sure it has kinda late TC frames, lemme look at that again

Why not do 9B or 9K though? Those moves are airborne just as fast (i3) by my testing. I'm pretty sure it has kinda late TC frames, lemme look at that again

8A does more damage (wiki says 60 but you only get two hits), knocks down like 8K, and gives SDF mix-ups. If you have the frames for it - it's i31 instead of 8B i24 or 8K i20 - and you probably do since you're jumping a low on reaction, it just seems like the best option. Of course, ring positioning always plays a part, and if there's a wall or ring edge, go get them 9K ring outs. I may also be highly overrating SDF mix-ups, since I don't play Yoshimitsu, but as a Siegfried player stance mix-ups off of moves that knock down tend to be a good thing.

And I was wrong - it DOES have TC frames, at about i11 (I just used Natsu to test last time and declared "Nope, no possible TC frames here"). So we have TJ at i3 and TC at i11 for at least 40 damage since they're going to be close enough for two of the hits, AND you're in SDF for free on a KND opponent, which I'm told is a nice place to be in. Can I be the first to say that this move is SOLID?

Also, go buy Premium so you can use that awesome avatar I found you!

^^ This seems really nice, seems a lot easier to use vs lows than, say, FLE {B}. Though of course you have to be thinking about whether you have the health for it (I've lost a few rounds due automatically doing something like shark combo, 8A without thinking), which is not necessarily what you want when trying to avoid something on reaction.

Couple of questions:
- Are there some easy ways to get yoshi into BT? I see lots of videos where people are using the suicide stuff and occasionally I'd like to use them when I'm messing around, but I can't work out any ways to reliably get into BT to use them. There's an example at the end of rddk's video on page 24 where he seems to cancel something to get into BT, but I can't work out what's going on.
- This has been covered a bit in this thread already but... RCC 3B after iMCF: are people really doing this on reaction after CH? I have no problem with the execution in training, but if I wait until I see the CH when I'm not sure I'm going to get it, I just don't have the reactions... at best I have to try and guess, eg. after 2K hit I'll often just throw out iMCF RCC 3B assuming the iMCF will CH, but this gets me punished if they just keep blocking mid. Even the timing of iMCF 66B on CH seems quite tight.

Back