SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

I'm by no means a Yoshimitsu expert (just kidding I'm the best) but I've found 7_8_9K to be a very good "panic button" for Yoshi. Safe on block, tech jump (which sort of eliminates all mixup because obviously it avoids lows, and combos tend to get ruined by the jumping state). On hit (even NH) it's a knockdown, and gives you perfect distance for 8A+B2 > 66A+B.

All in all it'd seem that there's very little risk in using it even at -, and the reward for landing it could potentially be quite huge. (around 1/3 health or more I believe - and after the techtrap the enemy still has to deal with Yoshimitsu's kinda scary okizeme.)

E: Just realized I didn't even get to the point of what I was trying to say. What I'm saying is JUMP KICK = GOOD

I use 7_8_9K often. It's -12 which means certain characters can punish it. Even against characters who can't punish it, being at -12 is something I don't like being in.
I wasn't aware of the deathcopter followup after 7_8_9K. I don't know too much about it but I can imagine it being easy to JG. I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks for the input.

As far as getting your guard broken and trying to break the opponent's guard: Yoshi has a pretty damn good and safe guard break game. The key is setting certain moves up on force block when you don't necessarily need guaranteed damage. For example iMCF > 66B > DNK > 66A+B. 66A+B will either hit them on the ground for free damage or they will block it for good guard damage. Include things like 1K, 44B+K, 44bA and 4B to whittle down guard and once they're very near breaking try to break with a single 4B since it gives you the most frames to follow up properly for max damage.

Yoshi seems to rely heavily on offense for his defense so if you're getting your guard broken you're just not dick punching them enough. Haha.

Last edited:
Jump K is AA punishable by quite a few characters, you just don't see it a lot since it was a safe calling card of his in SCIV.

Looks like you're right about it being AA-punishable, I've been playing too much Cervantes recently (attempting to switch mains) and I've gotten used to AA being i13 now. Thanks for the correction, although against anyone that isn't aPat (or Natsu, I don't know if it's A:6 punishable... will look it up) I'd still consider it a "low risk" move. I suppose it depends on whether you mind being hit by AA a few times or not, the damage definitely adds up but I'd say it's still a risk worth taking when your enemy is in your face and you just freeze up.

Thanks again for the correction, it helps :)

Also, I added the FC 2K info to the wiki. That's good info that more people should know about.

Jumping K is especially good by the wall or ring edge for its tracking, evade, and huge reward for hitting. If your opponent can punish it, do 7K instead, and depending on the spacing you'll avoid various i12s. Be sure to launch them or CE them for messing up their punish. It whiffs fairly consistently against Viola's 2A, so do 9B instead against her.

Jumping K into deathcopter is a pretty bad deathcopter setup, but if you're hitting them with it, go for it I guess.

If you're getting guard broken, you probably aren't moving or JGing enough.

Another note on breaking them: When they're flashing red, CE will almost always break their guard. I generally plan for guard crushes in the final round by walls or ring edges in situations where it doubles as a free chance at a random CE hitting. If it hits, you can force them to GI, A+B+K JG, or take a 66A+B hit or else block and get broken right there. Only problem is that if they stand still when you CE, they can just buffer a jump attack during the CE animation, whiff, and punish you. They can also GI any hit that isn't first one. So, nobody who is prepared will block a Yoshi CE, it'll hit or be jumped.

Jumping K into deathcopter is a pretty bad deathcopter setup, but if you're hitting them with it, go for it I guess.

Then what would you consider a "good" deathcopter trap? Other than (insert launcher) > Parting Thrust ofc

Then what would you consider a "good" deathcopter trap? Other than (insert launcher) > Parting Thrust ofc
Just that and maybe tipped 66A+B and 44A. 9K deathcopter is really easy to get out of.

Oh and second hit of 6KK is probably the best non-a:B+K deathcopter setup. Or traded iMCF.

I'm really starting to use Jumping K a lot as well. It's simple, anybody can do it plus it helps me avoid throws which I'm horrible at breaking grabs. :(

but with that knock down i guess you could 66A+B but I would say this is just a easy avoid as the death chopper from the Jumping K set up.

if anybody know if this works I would like to know since I just thought of just now. ^^

But if that doesn't work you could always FC 3K or cancel 66A+B into a throw follow up.

I'm really starting to use Jumping K a lot as well. It's simple, anybody can do it plus it helps me avoid throws which I'm horrible at breaking grabs. :(

but with that knock down i guess you could 66A+B but I would say this is just a easy avoid as the death chopper from the Jumping K set up.

if anybody know if this works I would like to know since I just thought of just now. ^^

But if that doesn't work you could always FC 3K or cancel 66A+B into a throw follow up.

66A+B cancel is pretty decent for an approach after an 8K knockdown for some hesitation false frame advantage and quirky mixups. I wouldn't use the actual move after 8K unless I've properly mind locked my opponent with the cancel approach. It's just too easy to see and blow up from that knockdown.

I do want to stress that 8K can be really blown up by some characters so be very aware. Pretty much never use it against frame data aware Cerv or Natsu (or Woahhzz with aPat) players unless you have a really good risk reward near a wall or ring edge. Using it as a get out of jail free card from throws and mixups is bound to get you into some deep shit eventually since that's just giving your opponent the keys to the momentum by getting it blocked.

Last edited:
66A+B cancel is pretty decent for an approach after an 8K knockdown for some hesitation false frame advantage and quirky mixups. I wouldn't use the actual move after 8K unless I've properly mind locked my opponent with the cancel approach. It's just too easy to see and blow up from that knockdown.

I do want to stress that 8K can be really blown up by some characters so be very aware. Pretty much never use it against frame data aware Cerv or Natsu (or Woahhzz with aPat) players unless you have a really good risk reward near a wall or ring edge. Using it as a get out of jail free card from throws and mixups is bound to get you into some deep shit eventually since that's just giving your opponent the keys to the momentum by getting it blocked.
@mkl

okay I will keep that in mind with certain match ups like that.

But thanks for the input Mkl !

I got a question about Yoshi's 1B

What's the best way to setup the unblockable from 1B ?

it seems pretty decent since you can cancel it with release and it still being unblockable.

Depending on how long you charge Yoshi's 1B also it does pretty good damage.

Anyways, input would be great if anyone has some knowledge about Yoshi's 1B since I don't use it much.

The only set up I can recall hearing about was CH iMCF (opponent doesnt tech)>1(B).

Not online though so I cant check if it works

The only set up I can recall hearing about was CH iMCF (opponent doesnt tech)>1(B).

Not online though so I cant check if it works
I've tried 3B launcher into a:B+K then 1B unblockable but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Thanks on the input by the way !

It's pretty good by the wall. I used to do 4K(B) after the second wallsplat in the wall combo. I started to always prefer the launch into deathcopter setup though. I may start pulling that out again, gimmicks can really put you ahead if used at the right times and can frustrate your opponent.

I have a question about SDGF K.
Is the timing any different on the just if you hit the opponent with it? Because I haven't been able to enter bliss stance on hit.

I have a question about SDGF K.
Is the timing any different on the just if you hit the opponent with it? Because I haven't been able to enter bliss stance on hit.
It shouldn't be because I can do the Non-JF version almost every time.

But SDGF KK is weird sometimes, I can hit the JF version with single K in SDGF when in the moves list it's listed as two K's.

This works as well with the Non-JF Version & JF version as well.

Why is this, if anyone knows ?

First K of SDF KK indicates the start of the backflip.
Second K of SDF KK indicates the landing time.

Also, I know what you mean when you can't get the timing when you hit the opponent with SDF KK. I think it might be because you are throwing off your own timing by accident, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure you can land a heal even if you hit the opponent. I'll test it today if someone doesn't have an answer.

Back