SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

I'm probably rusty enough to be beaten on a daily basis by any character. I've yet to go the extra mile to learn all my MUs due to personal stuff. However my online travels speculate that in the future...

Problems
1. Pyrrha (Gotta outplay this turtle)
2. Viola (Gotta be almost flawless)
3. Natsu (Gotta stay away)

Best
1. Leixia (Since she's my secondary, I only have problems with her when she has me where she wants me.)
2. Raphael (Once I crack the code of what he is, it might be field day with him. Until then, I'm blind to this MU.)
3. ZWEI (See Raphael)

Funnest
1. Alpha Pat (It seems fun and stylish to pit 2 execution heavy characters to another)
2. Ezio (I don't always fight many of them.)
3. Dampierre (Yoshimitsu can be funny too.)

I'd list more since I'm still blind to almost all my MUs, but I'll update one day.

I don't think Pyrrha is that bad for Yoshi. Just turtle her. She gets away for free, so let her. By turtling you can win against both aggression and turtle vs. turtle. By turtling I mean play the neutral game with iFC 3K and dash iMCF, and if you knock her down just 1B+K and back off. Even 2K is risky against her, so just throw her or do more iFC 3Ks.

Worst
1. Natsu - Her evasion is safe and also catches movement, so you can't bait evades. Of 8KA, A+B, 66B, and 22A, three of those beat iMCF, two of those beat iFC 3K. 8KA evades everything in a huge window is very difficult to stop even if you know it's coming. 66B will evade 2B, BB, 6B, pretty much all your sensible mids except 3K, which is beaten by 8KA. 8KA is unsafe but they can buffer the A late, so they can wait and see if they evaded something. Delayed attacks don't help much at all, with the speed and long and late evading windows. I feel pretty much forced to play a losing neutral game with the usual 2B, 3K, and iFC 3K due to her evades. Actually, you can't even really discourage her evades by playing a neutral game because her neutral game is basically 66B and A+B, which are evades and are tricky to whiff punish. Oh yeah and don't forget she easily punishes your -12s. The only thing I feel successful doing in the matchup is desperately spamming iFC 3K and throws and starting his oki vortex, throwing in wild 6Ks (confirm for the second K) to stop jumping (does 100 damage with this read).

2. Aeon - He can try 66As pretty much for free with good spacing, and even if you somehow backstep it, it is impossible to whiff punish it. You can only hope to block it up close and run in, but again, you can't whiff punish it, so why would they miss-space it, they don't even have to worry about not being close enough. Say you do block a mid-spaced 66A, 4B+K, or tip 3B. Aeon still has a mixup against you. 4K just barely won't reach, so now you have to move and squander your +frames. Well, most of your +frames. Turns out that dashing in and iMCFing is Yoshi's fastest ranged move, and with the amount of +frames that you get for blocking those, you can interrupt stuff like Aeon 66A 2A, but with great difficulty and spacing dependence. However, Aeon can start backstepping and sidestepping and be pretty much home free. Your counter to this is mixing him up, while still beating move-attack. That leaves you with dash-in iFC3K and 4KB but those still won't quite beat all timing variations of move-attack. Don't dash-in enough and you might just whiff. Dash too far and he'll be able to interrupt you even if he moves and attacks. Basically, you have to vary your dash-in attack timings of dash-in iFC 3K, 4KB, and iMCF, mixing in some patient dash-in steps or dash-in (just) guards, throws. Unfortunately, that mixup is trash against Aeon. Aeon gets his WR B launch for blocking iFC 3K, launch punishes 4KB on JG, and backstep-3B is safe enough throw out to whiff punish iMCF. Risk-reward just isn't in your favor, and it's either do this or play a losing neutral game.

3. Viola - She punishes iFC 3K with 44A and has too many +frames in her pressure for Yoshi's speed to mean much. He has no great tools to deal with her pressure, even GI isn't that great compared to some other characters.

Best
1. Maxi
2. Ezio
3. Pyrrha (compared to her other matchups)

I agree with Signia on the Pyrrha MU. Turtling and Just guarding the right things can leave Pyrrha pretty open for Yoshi. I find myself FCk3-ing, just guarding and throwing quite a bit when fighting her. As for best I would said

1.Maxi
2.Raphael
3.Leixia

Funniest
1.Dampierre
2.Yoshimitsu
3.Algol

Problems
1.Aeon
2.Natsu
3.Viola

Pardon my offtopicness, but it's good to see the Yoshis are still around. Anyways, I might need to play Signia, mkl, and anyone else one day so I can learn more on both consoles. I know I'm rusty as heck with Yoshi.

Found a new combo: CH 1B+K 66B 66A+B (82 damage). The distance you have to be in order for it work when you're not near a wall (in which case you'd wallsplat them with some other followup) varies but it never hits Natsu, Leixia, Siegfried, Xiba, Aeon, Mitsu, and Maxi. You have to be really close to hit Raph, Pat, Tira, and NM. It's really easy to hit Zwei, Ezio, Viola, Ivy, Algol, and Asta with it. The rest fall in the middle.

When would you land this? When you want to hit grounded with a safe move that does a lot of damage on CH. It qualified before with just the 66A+B followup but now it's actually really threatening.

Alternatively, you can CE for 110ish. I think that works on everybody.
I actually like this combo. Its good by the ring edge cause you can switch 66A+B for DNK to score an ring out. I also use 1B+K when spacing or on charging opponents to try and land the counter hit. Most of the time it works for me in situations like this.

I actually like this combo. Its good by the ring edge cause you can switch 66A+B for DNK to score an ring out. I also use 1B+K when spacing or on charging opponents to try and land the counter hit. Most of the time it works for me in situations like this.

More investigation required. I've got it to hit Maxi, Xiba and Natsu by taking a step left first - not tried with the others that this misses on. To be consistent, you have to step to a certain angle (around 45 degrees). I also get more success on nightmare with a step. Have to be careful because sometimes doing it this way causes 66A+B to whiff.

Not sure how but I've also been able to 3B launch off it.. cannot get consistently yet though - seems very angle / distance dependent.

bG timing during back-step. Anyone played with this? It's possible to create whiffs with certain timing.

For example, try it against Cervantes 33B (blocked), 66A - which catches a plain old back-step.

Too early, and you'll block 66A as well. Time it correctly though and 66A whiffs for a 3B launch punish. It actually works better than korean back-dash as that does not work in this situation.

Problems:
1. O. Pyrrah - This could be by the fact that dealing with 4B is semi difficult for me, but I feel like its hard to punish her in certain situations.
2. Cervantes - Please, do not wiff. His keepout + guard game is pretty strong vs Yoshi, and since Yoshi's punishers aren't the best, he gets away with some stuff as long as his spacing is on point.
3. Viola - lololololol

Best:
1. Pyrrah - I actually think this is slightly in Yoshi's favor as long as you turtle her and keep the life lead. Her approach isn't really that scary, and if she approaches you, that is where you want her.
2. Voldo - His WS punishment sucks and his blind stance mixups are reactable (at least for me).
3. Leixia - You actually can zone her better than she can zone you, and your mixups up close are better.

Most Fun:
1. Mitsurugi - Just cause I love DGF stance, and DGFing over 2kb BE is so troll.
2. Nightmare - Its just constant tech crouching and tech jumping, and a+king his horizontals at a certain range.
3. Yoshimitsu - Cause apparently Yoshi players dont know how to deal with DGF =D. Granted, I use it as a read based stance, but still.

Just cause I love DGF stance, and DGFing over 2kb BE is so troll
yeah, I noticed you do this a lot form what I've seen in your games Boom. I got question about DGFing Mitsurugi's 2K,B. Does DGFing over the kick part of the move give the option to DGF B and DGF K ? if that's the case i might just have to use DGF stance like this more !

Yeah I'm wondering if it gives you enough time to DGF B after avoiding 2K, wouldn't second hit of 2KB just swat you out of the air?

But if dodging kick of 2KB with DGF guarantees a DGF B then I guess it's a lot better than just blocking low if you read the move.. Gives you an even more damaging combo than just punishing with 3B from standing, and getting hit out of DGF (If you guess wrong) is generally a lot safer than eating a 3B or something while blocking low

Flea TJs faster than DGF and FLE B would come out at i32 when done as B+K~B, so it'd most likely be a better option than DGF B. FLE B launches on CH for the same a:B+K setup as DGF B -> 3B but you'll get less damage overall.

^^ real talk.

FLE K DGF A+B would be the appropriate combo for FLE though (a few frames slower but of no real consequence) and no need to be thinking of CH. I would never make a read of stancing over 2KB though since the B is just going to swat me out of the air. Jump K dat sheet.

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind on the jumping K. I was more so seeing if I can get a ring out combo off of the poor unexpected Mitsurugi.

hmm, im not sure, I will have to test and get back to you on that. I just used dgf K cause 1 its implanted in my brain, and 2, its the faster option/can use vs 2k's

Also, what do you guys think of using 9 b+k against 2k as well? I been testing it in theory, and it seems more reliable/safe if you mess up the dgf k

Last edited:
9B+K is -14 on block though, I don't know exactly how much that matters against Mitsurugi (He might get facepoke) but against people like aPat that's pretty scary

(Unless you were talking about jumping 2KB with it in which case like.. I'm sure it works but there are better options)

9B+K is -14 on block though, I don't know exactly how much that matters against Mitsurugi (He might get facepoke) but against people like aPat that's pretty scary

(Unless you were talking about jumping 2KB with it in which case like.. I'm sure it works but there are better options)
Nah you are right, there are better options to commit to.

I wouldn't recommend dgf B over 2kb...you get hit if you arent in dgf before the start up of 2kb.

MKL, I dgf k the 2kb only cause it gives better oki, plus looks 10 times cooler

Jump against Mitsurugi it's worst option 1B,6B8 and many option of mitsu Air hit is combo with 236Be and if you Jump in disadvantage try DGF or Flea you can take 236 air hit .

Reactions: mkl
Back