Serpent's Embrace Tips

wait... what!! you serious?!?!
<shocked silence>

it doesn't make sense *_*
but then again, there's not many situations where SE A+B is useful, right? to me, SE A+B is one of those moves with deceptive range. it seems to have long range, but if the opponents are close enough to get hit, they usually can interrupted easily. if they are just in range, they just need to take a step or two back. i did some testing before, the opponents have to stand face to face, right up against ivy in order for SE A+B to hit.

Yes you can jump SE A+B but you have too time the jump perfectly chances are slim trying too jump it. It mainly works best in cage matches wall combos and against aggressive opponents.

Hi there...new guy here...Loved and still loving Ivy since SC2...I'm only 15 BTW...so, go easy on me...

Funny how you guys mention that this move is pathetic...Malek, an Ivy player...uses this move most of the time...I see him consistently pull this move off flawlessly...He's a pro I guess...

The properties of this move are ridiculous. This move is difficult to perform and you get almost nothing for your effort. It has more uses than normal SE BBB, but it's still a bad move. When people use it it's because it looks flashy/does more damage as a techtrap.

Hi there...new guy here...Loved and still loving Ivy since SC2...I'm only 15 BTW...so, go easy on me...
Funny how you guys mention that this move is pathetic...Malek, an Ivy player...uses this move most of the time...I see him consistently pull this move off flawlessly...He's a pro I guess...

I'll go easy on you if you go easy on the ellipses.

But on topic, I would listen to Ring... he knows what he's talking about.

It's... almost as if... this was posted... for the sake of asking for flames... (I can "..." too!)
Since I was beaten out by 2 others, I'll just say this:

It is established that in a perfect world, this move is BETTER by all means than BBB.
But the moment you do not get the 5th hit off, you have just severly gimped your damage, and lost all offensive momentum.
Not to mention you lose 55% HP if Sophy blocks this attack.
Confident enough in your 1/60th of a second timeing to risk that much for an added 25 damage?
I'll go back to practicing, and being disgusted with this move now.

-EDIT- I mixed my thoughts up, all hits of this attack are -6, KD aside, I thought they were all equal to the first hit, -22 but that is untrue. Just don't mess up the first.........

to my opinion this move give a more safety opportunity cause you can mix 3/4/5 hit if it touch on gard
of course frame say it's as unsafe as SE BBB is but with the possibility to mix between 3/4/5 hit you can make lose some frame at the adverse on his punishing reaction
of course it is charactere (possibility of fast hit punition) and player (fast or not reaction) dependant

sorry for my english hope you understand my vision

Generally I say avoid the move entirely unless you have a very high success rate, you're already winning, or simply because the added damage will finish the match.

I can do them with a very high success rate in practice, but in real offline fight I'm only 50/50 so it's not wise for me to ever attempt. You simply won't see me use this move unless the planets are aligned and I need it to happen. As well I think the move is even more unsafe if you don't get the last hit so not finishing it may work well online for safety, but offline people can generally spot it and hurt you.

Was just in training testing this out again just count how many times the WP hit's the ground nailed it 10/14

You need higher than that to validate it. Consider 20- dmg you obtain every time you land it, and then consider how much you take on punish if you fuck up. As well if your opponent knows your likely to drop the inputs they'll be looking for it closely. Sora is really good and was even better in the past with it, so I was very hesitant to punish since it was rare I even got the opportunity. He's one of the few players I say should do it, but even then I've seen him use it when BBB was a better option (he only needed BBB_BBB, g9B to win or he was low life and shouldn't risk the punish).

Just because the move is hard to time consistently, doesn't mean it's needed to be pro Ivy. The move simply just does not offer enough over BBB to justify it for most players even at high level. I only use it to be flashy when I get cocky.

Back