Setsuka's Lounge

Setsuka Lounge

question about 6B & 66K:

is it worth it to integrate these moves into a keep-away game if i decide to? i think the pushback on block is enough to warrant a try against pitbulling opponents, say like Mitsu, to force a spacing game.

Setsuka Lounge

I don't really like 6B at all. Other players might, but I don't. IMO, 4B is much better. Better reach, better pushback. It's unsafe but used at the correct distance, in most cases, it won't matter. Also deals good SG damage. I don't really like 66K either. If I'm in the range for 66K, I'd much rather use 4K.

Setsuka Lounge

I've never had much luck with 6B. If I'm looking for push back, 1B:B is my go to choice. The move is just so versatile. I do kinda like 66K for the back step afterwards, and knowing that there is still the auto GI if they do duck the kick. Still not too much positives about the move even on hit.

Similarities: SC Setsuka vs VF Akira

this is a wonderful thread
i never recognized the simlarities and yet my favorite people are:
SC: Setsuka and Ivy
VF: Akira and Vanessa

similarities anyone?

SETSUKA: no stances(has commands such as 214, 236 or A+K which allow different ending attacks), short range, multi-input attack animations, very technical character, small moveset, throws with great advantages

AKIRA: no stances(has a few animations which allow different attack endings, lol dont remember them right now), short range, multi-input attack animations, VERY technical character, shorter than average move set, WONDERFUL throws lol

IVY: Coiled, Sword and Whip not even considered stances, basically a new person each time lol(usage based off distance vs attack/defense), better at medium-long range, solid moveset, a lot of moves with auto GI, kool throws (i love criminal symphony)

Vanessa: Attack and Defensive stances(again two wholly different people based off attack vs. defense), covers all ranges, great moveset, built in counters and such in "neutral defensive"and 3P and others, great throws(i love her military style)

Similarities: SC Setsuka vs VF Akira

She was like Akira already in sc3. Now she is even more like him cause of here 236 and 214 crouch dashes.
I never played VF that much, but in every VF, from VF1 to VF5 (well I didn’t played VF 3 actually) I played Akira only.
For me biggest similarities are in combo enders system where umbrella is Akira's double palm. Both almost the same speed (12i and 13i) both with good range and dmg, made from FC, awesome as a combo ender. Also both combo enders are not easy, and Akiras dbp in some situations (combos where you have really small buffer time) require more manual skills (well Akira itself require more manual skills).

Setsuka Lounge

Setsuka's SCIII costume & hair needs to be downloadable content..... like now.

Lady Snowblood

since the heroine in the movie (meiko kaji) is wielding a hidden umbrella blade like setsuka, i was wondering if you guys have seen it.
when i first saw sets, i immediately thought that they had stolen the idea from lady snowblood, which also was a huge inspiration for kill bill, explaining the reflaming popularity at that time.

if you haven't seen it, check it out. there are only some great umbrella fighting scenes in it, but it still is a brilliant movie and worth a watch.

Lady Snowblood

Yes, Setsuka is totally ripped from that movie. Her name even means "Snow-flower" or something like that.

Lady Snowblood

One of my favorite movies, just for the cheesy bloody deaths and the fact that Setsuka is based on her. :) Have yet to see the sequel though.

Lady Snowblood

lol, i've just seen it. Indeed setsuka is totally based on lady snowblood. not only the weapon but also the fact they're both determined to get revenge. Even the intro scene where you first see an umbrella and then she lifts it a bit and you see her face reminds me a lot of the introscene of soul calibur 3.

Setsuka Lounge

Ok. So after only few days of just practicing her JFs and combos (a few hours a day), I can do umbrella after A+K B about 50% of the time. But goddamn, my hands are getting tired. :( I do think it's cool that they made a character that is just completely badass, but you have to be a Machine to do the real damaging stuff.

I'm no where near ready enough to actually use her against any real comp. I still take too long to think about the execution of moves while under pressure and looking for hit confirmations. *sigh* But man, when you do get them out, it's just awesome.

I know a lot of you guys have been playing her much much longer. So are any of you guys even close to 100% on most of her JFs/combos?

Setsuka Lounge

All of her combos and JFs are relatively second nature to me (85%-95% success) unless:

A) My thumbs begin to hurt, or are hurting
B) I am feeling fatigue and am unfocused (but nowhere nearly affects the success rate as much as (A)
C) All of the above

Once it starts to get painful to move my thumb on the D-pad, umbrella finishers occur less. All of her other non-buffered JFs however, are unaffected by this.

I am currently in the process of making some cloth thumb mittens!

Setsuka Lounge

All of her combos and JFs are relatively second nature to me (85%-95% success) unless:

A) My thumbs begin to hurt, or are hurting
B) I am feeling fatigue and am unfocused (but nowhere nearly affects the success rate as much as (A)
C) All of the above

Once it starts to get painful to move my thumb on the D-pad, umbrella finishers occur less. All of her other non-buffered JFs however, are unaffected by this.

I am currently in the process of making some cloth thumb mittens!
lol Nice!

Sets is the first FG character that really requires me to be physically prepared to use her. But I'm really liking her now. I might have to take some Aleve or something. :)

Back