Soul Calibur 5 Guest/Bonus/CAS Character Discussion

This falls into the constant fallacy people make that Ezio's only weapon is the hidden blade. Nothing could be further from the truth - that's his signature weapon, not his only weapon. Before you ever get a hidden blade, Ezio is using a full length sword and short dagger, and can also use poleaxes, maces, throwing knives, bombs, GUNS, etc. Really he is a perfect character for SC mechanics.
Bingo
aaaand even if they chose to go just by hidden blade will not be world breaker,in SCBD Dampierre is an official char and use hidden blades copyed from AC. Wow
Counting longer arms as range he will not be that different from Taki/Natsu/Talim and as said the same as Dampierre a yet existing official SC char

Btw we talked even too much about this,"range" is just the last excuse of why zomg can't be teh Ezio cuz i will not like it :D

ps: i agree about Gabriel being a GREAT possible Guest,but like somebody said maybe is'nt worldwide enough.
And also the thing that
in 1500-1600 he's no more Gabriel,is Dracula

pps: i agree with Mojo,as said i think Asura still is one of the most probable candidate,even more than Ezio

Not sure about Abyss but Vesperia did get a PS3 release in japan with an additional character(some pirate chick) :(
I never said it didn't. You have to remember though that Soul Calibur is primarily appealing to the North American/European and Japanese market. The game was released on both the 360 and the PS3 in Japan but has only been released on the 360 in NA/Europe. What this means is that it is unlikely that we will see Tales of Vesperia as a guest character. Not only has it been out for quite a while and there would be no incentive for Namco but the game itself is a 360 only game in America and as they plan to go for both markets and have said that the guest character is universal system wise (no specials) we can assume Vesperia can be crossed off thanks to the game not being released on the PS3 originally in Japan or at all in America/Europe.

Belmont is unlikely to be included as we have a castelvania type character in Raphael (who has not been announced but since Viola is probably Amy it is just a matter of time...that and he does not age).

Asura's game on the other hand does not have all that great a chance either. For one it is a capcom game and the most important is that Asura fights with his hands and arms rather than weapons...the fact he may have 6 arms would just make it all the more difficult for Namco to use. Just my opinion mind you. It is however one of the more likely.

Ezio: Read previous posts for my explanation of how this one is one of the more likely candidates. fits the time period roughly, workable weapon, on 360 and PS3 systems in all regions, etc... I don't actually think the character will be from this game though as Daishi said the guest character was a popular one and although Ezio is pretty popular I think SE character is much more likely.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Lightning or something character): The very similar resemblance to Soul Edge in the trailer means that SE might have got permission from Namco to use the design in exchange for a guest character. Daishi wanted an FF character as well.

these last few are very unlikely but considering Namco's past for guest characters I felt like they shouldn't be left out just in case.

Metal Gear Rising: Raiden supposedly uses a sword and has been shown to wield a small dagger as well. Not very likely considering the game itself takes places far in the future...but then Tekken and Star Wars were not exactly in game standards either.

Dragonball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi: A character from this game could possibly be added as it is releasing near the end of the year, is a fighting game, is a Namco title, and is needed to try and boost sales of the anime as well as the video game. The game also has a hero customization mode making it possible to change attributes of characters and clothing etc... similar to soul calibur and would be relatively simple to use a character from the game in SC as a result. Problem lies in that it is not really a weapons game so I highly doubt this would be the origin of a guest character.

All of the games listed above will be released on both PS3 and 360 and will be released in NA, Japan, and Europe. I can't really think of any other games that the guest character/characters might possibly be from that actually can possibly fit in with the world that is SC? These are also only games that are coming out soon...there is always a possibility they will take a character from a different game or system altogether

Asura's game on the other hand does not have all that great a chance either. For one it is a capcom game and the most important is that Asura fights with his hands and arms rather than weapons...the fact he may have 6 arms would just make it all the more difficult for Namco to use. Just my opinion mind you. It is however one of the more likely.

Ezio: Read previous posts for my explanation of how this one is one of the more likely candidates. fits the time period roughly, workable weapon, on 360 and PS3 systems in all regions, etc... I don't actually think the character will be from this game though as Daishi said the guest character was a popular one and although Ezio is pretty popular I think SE character is much more likely.

Asura doesn't always have 6 arms. From the videos I've seen, he only has 6 arms when he's in "super mode" or whatever they call it. (Critical Edge? Hmmm?) Also, the arms are made of metal. I think it would be an interesting style if they included Asura. Also, there are other characters with weapons in the game. One trailer has Asura's mentor (father?) in it with a large sword.

Also, Asura's Wrath is being PUBLISHED by Capcom. Cyberconnect 2 is developing it, and as I said before Cyberconnect 2 is also responsible for Soulcalibur 5's story mode, what better way to fit a guest character into SC5's storyline than to have the company who created the guest character also be the one responsible for developing the story mode of the game that their character will be guesting in?

As for Ezio, the AC games are already big name games. They don't need to cross promote with Soulcalibur to get people to buy them. I can understand why Namdai/Bamco would want to put Ezio into SC because it might get the AC fans who have never played SC to buy SC5, but, anyone who plays Soul Calibur on the regular has already made the choice as to whether or not they're going to buy an AC game. So there is no advantage for Ubisoft to put Ezio in SC5.

As for Final Fantasy, see above for the reasons why not, just replace "AC" with "FF" and "Ezio" with "insert FF character name here". Except that FF is even more popular than AC so there is even less reason for Square-Enix to let one of their characters get put into SC5.

P.S. It probably seems like I have a hard-on for Asura getting in there, but I don't. It just makes the most sense from a money-making business perspective. I honestly don't care who the guest character is...EXCEPT for the fact that I DO NOT want an FF character in there simply because I got extremely tired of playing SC4 online and seeing "Cloud" and "Sephiroth" CaS characters...ugh. I don't want every other match I have online to be against the same damn FF character, which is what would inevitably happen.

Also, here is another thought: We all may be just completely barking up the wrong tree.

This article was published September 14th.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1194269p1.html

In it, Tago says they will be announcing the character in one month's time

This even takes place between October 13th and 16th:
http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

Bandai is listed as an exhibitor.

Maybe the guest character isn't from a video game at all.
Interesting theory. A non-video game character? Considering it is Japan then my money would be on an anime character if not a video game character. Dear god I hope it isn't that orange ninja anime. Either way I guess we will know around the 16th or so. I do hope Daishi announces other non-guest characters at the same time though.

Watch the guest be some crazy, out-of-the-box character, like fuckin' Zorro from One Piece, to promote their new game and temporary partnership [I think temporary] with Temco/Koei. Aaahhhh....Namco, why do you insist on torturin' us with bullshit like this!?

This even takes place between October 13th and 16th:
http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

Bandai is listed as an exhibitor.

Maybe the guest character isn't from a video game at all.
At San Diego Comic-con they announced Ivy, ZWEI, and Natsu, so comic-con doesn't really mean much. Comics stopped meaning something to comic-cons a long time ago, unfortunately.

I remember one journalist said they were told the guest would be revealed on its own, not rolled into an existing event. I never saw a second journalist confirm it though.

At San Diego Comic-con they announced Ivy, ZWEI, and Natsu, so comic-con doesn't really mean much. Comics stopped meaning something to comic-cons a long time ago, unfortunately.

I remember one journalist said they were told the guest would be revealed on its own, not rolled into an existing event. I never saw a second journalist confirm it though.
I was just pointing it out because in the IGN article, Tago said it would be revealed in a month's time, and it just so happens that the NYCC is happening exactly one month after the interview. It really just comes down to wishful thinking on my part, I want this discussion to be over with. lol

Also, since the discussion has basically degenerated into people arguing the merits of Assasin's Creed vs. Final Fantasy (with occasional Asura's Wrath...:-D) I decided just to toss out the possibility that it may not be a character from a video game at all. I think it will be, but you never know....Spawn?

ultimate-captain-america.jpg

For the love of all that is good, NOOOO!
lol, jk ;)
I dunno about you guys but Asura, Ezio and Gabriel I can live with. Random anime/manga? Please don't.

If i were to place in a random guess again, i'd say...

- Famous FF character
- Ichigo (Bleach)
-Mega Man Zero (MMZ ver. , not X ver.)

Well so begins the waiting game. Now we can stop asking when it will be at least. I wonder if they have any intention of announcing any other characters before that...

As much as I wish to say I would prefer anime characters to marvel or capcom characters. At least some of the anime characters might be able to fit in well enough where as you can't possibly have an excuse for most of those characters. I do have to say that if it is an anime character then I hope Saber or Lancer from Fate/Stay Night joins the fray or that they take Guts from Berserk. Both seem like they could fit if they have to...better than if the character is Cloud or Sephiroth from FF was picked(dear god would that be painful).

Personally though I do not want to see any guest character that is in a fighting game already. If we wanted one of those characters we could just go play their game.

Regardless of who the guest character is we will still have to deal with fans of the guest character...they will exist regardless of what is picked.

Well so begins the waiting game. Now we can stop asking when it will be at least. I wonder if they have any intention of announcing any other characters before that...
Like Mojo pointed out, there's New York Comic-con in the middle of the month. There's a fighting game presence there, so we might get a few characters then.

edit: Oh yeah, I just remembered Daishi said there's a chance we'll see Leixia sometime this month.

To me, it almost seems obvious that the guest character will be Lightning/Noel/Caius from FFXIII-2, not so much Cloud and Sephiroth since that's just terribly irrelevant and ignorant to advertising purposes.

To me, it almost seems obvious that the guest character will be Lightning/Noel/Caius from FFXIII-2, not so much Cloud and Sephiroth since that's just terribly irrelevant and ignorant to advertising purposes.
I really, really, REALLY hope it's not an FF character.

That being said, in terms of advertisement, I seriously doubt that the guest will be an FF character, Square-Enix has no reason to allow it or do it. Final Fantasy games sell just fine on their own without cross-promotion.

yes it will daichi already said it will be at least one character exclusive on each consle. and no crash would be awsome but it dont make sense.

Back