Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, you know so much about Project Soul's next project and gaming industry in general, you must be an insider.
Nothing exists until it has been announced or leaked, that's a rule. Plainly ignoring a fanbase and teasing works, but not for so long: we've been "teased" with a new project for more than a year, either you tease and drop the bomb when the hype is at its peak, or you don't say anything. PS has been creating highs and lows of hype, which isn't good at all: the more you wait, the more the game has to be perfected. If the game doesn't live up to the hype built, it's severe backlash. SCV hype was well built (around 8 months between the teaser and the announcement), and the game was developped quite fast... But it ended up rushed. T7 was teased before being announced (earlier due to a leak), and now they're taking their time to finish the game on console. Plus, Harada is very active and listening to the Tekken community, with is really a plus.

With PS, they've been building some kind of hype for more than a year, without anything significant (we had to vote for characters, now there are "fights" between characters... What's the point? Why mix veterans and newcomers?), and especially with a lot of disappointments ("we'll talk about Soulcalibur!" which became "happy birthday!"), thus when they will announce the game, either it has to be quite well advanced in development, or will take enough resources and time to be the best game ever. Also, fans of the game wouldn't give their opinion about SCV development (except on Sieg's and ZWEI's faces), which ended up a major disappointment. If you want your (old) series to keep on thriving, the best way is to announce it as soon as possible, then scan people's opinion and correct mistakes during development. A late announcement with an early release date is far worse than an early announcement and a late release date.

And indeed I know a bit of gaming industry mechanisms because I used to work for a gaming company, so I know how to spot sh*tty PR when I see some.

Announcing early isn't a good idea indeed, but teasing way too long before announcing is far worse: the best schedule is a tease (a sentence, a picture, a tweet, whatever), followed shortly (depending on the type of game, 6 to 8 months max) by an announcement, and then you can take much more time (with frequent updates) to have the best hype possible.

People's reactions would be
"OMG it's happening!" while they're still excited, you drop the announcement "I can't wait!", then frequent updates until release "That's nice, that's bad, etc." (eg. Samurai Warriors 4, the tease was shortly before the announcement)

Here, we've got
"OMG it might be happening!" then we got all excited, and then we waited, and waited, and waited again, and still waiting... The hype has disappeared, and a big announcement would result in a "It was about time" rather than a "I can't wait!" They try to keep up the hype with random polls, but most reactions are of impatience and anger rather than excitement.

PS's timing is pretty bad: long waiting times + silence is the best way to kill the hype and to make the community so impatient they'll want the perfect game from the get-go, making it harder for the company to deliver a game that's not disappointing and that doesn't waste time and/or resources. If the game ends up rushed (which might happen due to the impatience of the public because of the bad teasing pace), the backlash would be really severe.

Hmm, you know so much about Project Soul's next project and gaming industry in general, you must be an insider.
It would at least give something for people to talk about and give an idea of where things are actually going, instead of announcing it before a 6 month release only to surprise fans with a reception gamble. If they announced something, and wanted active feed back on development and reception from fans, (as Namco did with Xenoverse 2) people would know what they're getting and would be able to contribute to making it clearer to what they want them to fix. I'm not an insider by any means, but I assume that would be more logical.

What makes you think that they do not have feedback during development?

Companies often call people for feedback, playing early versions of projects which are under NDAs. Would a bigger-public one be better? Sure, but that does not mean that developers are sitting in the dark. After the annoucement with playable demos at various events, they continue to collect data.

1476vx_zpstlf3l47c.jpg
Need I remind you people?...

Need I remind you people?...
No. Not really. There isn't much i have to say right now.
JohnMcKee pretty much took the words right out of my mouth with his latest post on this thread. And some of you already know what i think about all of the shit lately so i will spare you my long comments. Let's all just look forward to Tekken 7 instead since that is the best we'll get so far.

Last edited:
No. Not really. There isn't much i have to say right now. JohnMcKee pretty much took the words right out of my mouth with his latest post on this thread. And some of you already know what i think about all of the shit lately so i will spare you my long comments. Let's all just look forward to Tekken 7 instead since that is the best we'll get so far.
Still hoping for an ultimate sc3 arcade version but maybe you are right... T7 is the way, too bad I suck at Tekken.

SC6, sadly, I don't really see in the near future. I'd love to see it, in all honesty, but Namco wants to focus on anime games and Tekken.

My take on it is that Namco don't wanna make SC6, so they work on as many anime games as possible (5 SAO games released in the span of 3 years, anyone?) so they have an excuse for no SC6. (I know that PS makes the SoulCalibur games, so don't rage at me.)

Unrelated note: instead of Namco, why not someone like PlatinumGames or BioWare make an SAO game? Just my personal thought, though. You know, there are a lot of good WESTERN devs that can easily handle anime licenses. Like I said just my thought.

Okay, back to my topic.

SC6, like I said, would be awesome if it were to actually be announced. Add fan favorites, more content (ARCADE ENDINGS!!!), don't rush it, etc. (i.e., someone on this thread said something about an unfinished Zasalamel model in SCV, which would've made making Dante Aligheri (Dante's Inferno), Maka Albarn, Death from the Darksiders games much easier) and there would be a 9 or 10/10 on our hands. Maybe add better guests (Ezio was decent, but there were better choices for guests out there (why not use some of those damn anime licenses you guys [Namco] love so much, like SAO, which, like I said earlier, they released 5 SAO games in 3 years).

That's all I really have to say about it.

Unrelated note: instead of Namco, why not someone like PlatinumGames or BioWare make an SAO game? Just my personal thought, though. You know, there are a lot of good WESTERN devs that can easily handle anime licenses. Like I said just my thought.
I know Western devs would handle the post-SCV story lines and characters better (though Eastern designers did great with the SCV outfits), while improving the gameplay more creatively.

I'm not sure how they could do it financially, while not rushing the game.

Part of me wants them to go through seasons like Killer Instinct, but I do see that causing people to become impatient......A lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back