Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

There are other video sites if modders want other platforms to hoast their mod videos.

Stuff like this is always a cat and mouse game and if things get so bad I'm sure the fediverse with its decentralized system will make it near impossible to remove media.

Namco just killed Tekken 8. Now it's not an April Fools Joke. The newest patch broke a lot of stuff & Tekken players Casual & Pro aren't happy. It's back to Tekken 7 Season 3 & 4 standards of getting worst every time a new DLC character released. Namco gave Zafina the Leixia treatment while not toning down actual OP characters like Victor & Asucena. Tekken 8 EVO Japan 2024 will be terrible. 2 months ago, Tekken 8 was highly praised until today with the Tekken Shop, $20 Battle Pass, & broken balance with today's update.

There are other video sites if modders want other platforms to hoast their mod videos.

Stuff like this is always a cat and mouse game and if things get so bad I'm sure the fediverse with its decentralized system will make it near impossible to remove media.
Yeah, but those platforms don't reach the tiniest, tiniest fraction of YouTube traffic for the kind of content we're talking about. Unfortunately, there's no particularly effective technological workaround to substantially avoid the current IP rights enforcement scheme--including, unfortunately, the most overzealous actions by companies that use the copyright strike mechanisms of platforms like YouTube to hysterically (or even abusively) knock down many types of non-infringing content created in good faith by parties such as reviewers, modders, and other commentators.

Any platform (no matter how distributed the architecture is or how much encryption it employs) will become a target for legal liabilities in the form of take-down orders and infringement claims, and those legal actions scale with the size of the audience a platform reaches. We won't get around the worst impacts of obnoxious overrreach by companies enforcing their IP rights through technology: there has to be an actual change in law and policy (particularly in the US and EU) before things will truly get better.

Namco just killed Tekken 8. Now it's not an April Fools Joke. The newest patch broke a lot of stuff & Tekken players Casual & Pro aren't happy. It's back to Tekken 7 Season 3 & 4 standards of getting worst every time a new DLC character released. Namco gave Zafina the Leixia treatment while not toning down actual OP characters like Victor & Asucena. Tekken 8 EVO Japan 2024 will be terrible. 2 months ago, Tekken 8 was highly praised until today with the Tekken Shop, $20 Battle Pass, & broken balance with today's update.
Oh good grief Frayhua--that's a bit histrionic, don't you think? The game is brand new. This is one of the first major patches, and it barely even touches upon game balance: the devs have made it a clear that those changes will be coming in a much more substantial and balance-focused patch in May. Must there always be "the sky is falling" style hysterics with every patch, just because somebody's favorite character got nerfed, or 2% of the player base has strong (but often not very well-rounded, compared to the dev's perspectives) ideas about how the balance is now all wrong? Namco didn't "kill" anything: I guarantee you that, despite any strong feelings that you might have about how consequential these changes are, the numbers of active players for this coming month are going to be substantially the same (if not higher) than the last month. I'd bet you dollars to donuts on that.

Seriously, give them a little time: the game is two and half months old and there will be many much larger balance patches over the next two years, at least, before the game is even approaching its final balance. Let's try to keep things in perspective.

Oh good grief Frayhua--that's a bit histrionic, don't you think? The game is brand new. This is one of the first major patches, and it barely even touches upon game balance: the devs have made it a clear that those changes will be coming in a much more substantial and balance-focused patch in May. Must there always be "the sky is falling" style hysterics with every patch, just because somebody's favorite character got nerfed, or 2% of the player base has strong (but often not very well-rounded, compared to the dev's perspectives) ideas about how the balance is now all wrong? Namco didn't "kill" anything: I guarantee you that, despite any strong feelings that you might have about how consequential these changes are, the numbers of active players for this coming month are going to be substantially the same (if not higher) than the last month. I'd bet you dollars to donuts on that.

Seriously, give them a little time: the game is two and half months old and there will be many much larger balance patches over the next two years, at least, before the game is even approaching its final balance. Let's try to keep things in perspective.

Tekken 8 has become just as bad as MK1. MK1 was terrible at launch, but Tekken 8 becoming this bad 2 months later,

Yeah, but those platforms don't reach the tiniest, tiniest fraction of YouTube traffic for the kind of content we're talking about.
Doesn't matter when you want to upload videos for networking your stuff. Again, this will always be a cat and mouse game like it still is with torrent sites. You would only be bothered about Youtube if you wanted to make ad revenue from showing your mods, which is the feeling I get when I see the displeasure from these types of copyright takedowns. Modding has always been a grey area that most publishers put up with rather than give people their blessing, any perceived threat to a publisher's revenue is going to be acted on.

Speaking of mods, the ones for SC7 are going to be delightful after seeing stuff like this.

Nina & Alisa Tekken 8.png

Nina Williams Bikini Tekken 8.jpg

Turns out Project Soul is alive and worked on Tekken 8. SCVII might release 2026. SCVI was more functional than Tekken 8 in it 1st 2 months. Tekken 8 within 2 months after release is already a dead game. Tekken 8 was the most overhyped fighting ever because MK1 was really terrible.

Doesn't matter when you want to upload videos for networking your stuff. Again, this will always be a cat and mouse game like it still is with torrent sites. You would only be bothered about Youtube if you wanted to make ad revenue from showing your mods, which is the feeling I get when I see the displeasure from these types of copyright takedowns. Modding has always been a grey area that most publishers put up with rather than give people their blessing, any perceived threat to a publisher's revenue is going to be acted on.
Well, I'm sure you're right that these minor platforms have their place for people who just wants to connect with other people with the technical expertise whose efforts overlap their own. But I think most content creators as well as the majority of those who are not in it for the views particularly so much as to get their work out or to just share something fun they made, would rather be able to do it on a mass-appeal platform. And yeah, it's certainly not surprising in this day and age when a company shuts this manner of content down (and the larger the company the more likely they are to take a zero tolerance/liabilities approach across the board). But mods don't usually compete with the product (in fact, sometimes they enhance sales), and many companies recognize this and take a more nuanced approach to such content. It's just a little disheartening whenever a major player in the industry starts to lean in the other direction.

Speaking of mods, the ones for SC7 are going to be delightful after seeing stuff like this.

View attachment 96252

View attachment 96253

Meh, the T&A stuff gets big yawns from me. I know what a beautiful woman's body looks like, and I have every opportunity I need to interact with the real thing: I don't need to turn my FG characters into little tiny sex dolls. When it comes to mods, I want someone to show me something I haven't seen before, even if it is just some unique design.

Like, for example, these projects to introduce SCV characters into SCVI which have inexplicably taken off int he last year and half! Now that's some real hard work, craftsmanship, and value added.

Are they ever going to release SC3AE on home release, it feels like a brain dead move to just leave it rotting in storage.
Nope. Don't get me wrong, if they made it, I'd buy a copy for every system the released it on, whether I had the console or not, just to reward their choice. But I don't think it makes any sense to them. SCII is the most storied, well-regarded game in the history of the franchise and SCII:HDO was dead almost on arrival. I don't think they turned a huge profit on it, and the thing you always have to remember with Namco is that they are so big, and own such a huge portfolio of content and IP that their calculus isn't just "will enough people buy it", but rather "will enough people buy it relative to the other hundred potential projects we could be greenlighting right now?".

I do try to hold out hope, because its the only mainline game in the series that you really can't play these days, and competitive version that could be found in AE is such an under-appreciated gem that even most SC enthusists didn't get a chance to explore. I've actually been exploring the possibility of buying some System 256 hardware just to put together a cabinet for that game for years now, but I've never gotten around to it.

Meh, the T&A stuff gets big yawns from me. I know what a beautiful woman's body looks like, and I have every opportunity I need to interact with the real thing: I don't need to turn my FG characters into little tiny sex dolls.
It's not so much the sexiness it's more about the aesthetics of the human form at its peak. Besides I'm more conservative when it comes to character attire.

Are they ever going to release SC3AE on home release, it feels like a brain dead move to just leave it rotting in storage.
Nope. Don't get me wrong, if they made it, I'd buy a copy for every system theY released it on, whether I had the console or not, just to reward their choice. But I don't think it makes any sense to them. SCII is the most storied, well-regarded game in the history of the franchise and SCII:HDO was dead almost on arrival. I don't think they turned a huge profit on it, and the thing you always have to remember with Namco is that they are so big, and own such a huge portfolio of content and IP that their calculus isn't just "Will enough people buy it?", but rather "Will enough people buy it relative to the other hundred potential projects we could be greenlighting right now?".

I do try to hold out hope, because its the only mainline game in the series that you really can't play these days, and competitive version that could be found in AE is such an under-appreciated gem that even most SC enthusiasts didn't get a chance to explore. I've actually been exploring the possibility of buying some System 256 hardware just to put together a cabinet for that game for years now, but I've never gotten around to it.
On the other hand, if Broken Destiny can be ported on to current generation hardware cheaply enough to justify it existing as a project, SCIII Console edition may not be that much more of a stretch anymore. As an emulated project, anyway; a remaster is probably not int he cards for a number of reasons. Don't get me wrong, SCIII:PS2E is a bit of a broken mess, but for what is, it would be nice to be able to play it without breaking out my PS2.

Plus the casuals go apeshit for that game for the breadth of its content (modes, bonus styles, cosmetics, modifiers, lore). There probably significantly more people who are so rudimentary on the mechanics of the series that they don't even known what a variable cancel, than those who do. And if it generates enough quick, easy cash to Namco and bolsters interest in the series even just a very small amount, why not? Plus, teasing of the casuals not withstanding, even I loved the addition of the character creator starting with this entry.

I've kept my PS4 just precisely to be able to play this game every once in a blue moon (i.e. for a few weeks once every five or six years), but I have to say it gets tedious after a bit--it has issues beyond the broken balance, actually. A fair number of bugs, for example--and just generally it feels more like quanity over quality in terms of some of the content. What I find especially difficult is that SCIII:AE was where I fell in love with Amy's style. and not having access to her fully built out moveset in the console edition is annoying to this day.

It's not so much the sexiness it's more about the aesthetics of the human form at its peak. Besides I'm more conservative when it comes to character attire.
Well, I didn't mean to imply anything about you so much as the general idea of that particular mod. Besides, aesthetics or salaciousness, I try not to judge. It's just that personally, seeing characters fight semi in-the-buff always looks jarring and unpleasant to me.

edit: Bamco even took down screenshots
Tedious behavior.

Back