Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I feel like they are done with E3-centric reveals, namely story mode, release date, and various editions, but I think that there will probably be a traditional Thursday character reveal via social media.

Voldo is the one who's dubious, since the row under Grøh could be Voldo and it could be his father. Voldo's name doesn't fit any of the other slots, unless he's one of the three slots blocked by the Kilik vs. Grøh banner.
I'm thinking he is blocked, along with Yoshimitsu, regardless if it's structured alphabetically or not, just look at how Groh and the character below him have events that seem to align so well, I'm not sure what kind of character it is, but he's most likely tied to Groh, so probably a newcomer.

That Colemono gameplay... The jump and low hit with Taki... I thought it wasn't there before? Like, on game? It's back? If this is the case, I simply love it. That's one movement that bring more depth and options to the game.

People say "Mi-Na has no relevance" but they forget (or don't know) she fought against Ivy (and lost) during SC I
latest

+ Voldo tried to stealing Ivy Blade because he felt the energy of Soul Edge in Ivy
+ Lizardman's main quest during SC I was kidnap Bangoo = Rock's plot relevance
EasygoingDistantHammerheadbird-max-1mb.gif

The Koreans in general, sadly, have no real story relevance. Losing against Ivy is not really relevant. Seong Mi-na and Yun-seong want Soul Edge to help protect Korea, though Yun-seong evolves to more personal reasons, wanting Soul Edge to accomplish great feats. Seong Mi-na sees Soul Edge for the evil that it really is and endeavors to save Yun-seong from its influence. Hwang went to save Seong Mi-na to protect Korea using their own strength, not using the evil sword. That's really all there is to their characters. Yun-seong even drifts away from Seong Mi-na and travels with Talim instead, whose relevance is also kind of shaky, but still.

There are strong characters and weak characters, but the Koreans are more forgettable than the rest because they're "derivative". Even though Seong Mi-na came first, Kilik stole the spotlight and is the "main" for the sake of story. Hwang was first a Mitsurugi clone then a Xianghua clone, and finally Yun-seong made a real unique style, which Hwang took some from in SoulCalibur III to distance himself from being a Xianghua clone.

I'm not saying any of this because I don't want or don't like the Koreans, on the contrary, I'd love it if Seong Mi-na and Hwang made a return. But in the eyes of the popular opinion, Yun-seong is on top, and he was the progenitor of a unique style, so... he's the most likely inclusion, and Seong Mi-na and Hwang will likely just be in cutscenes, if anything. It's a sad, but unfortunate, truth.

Edit: I had some things twisted, fixed.

Last edited:
People say "Mi-Na has no relevance" but they forget (or don't know) she fought against Ivy (and lost) during SC I
latest

+ Voldo tried to stealing Ivy Blade because he felt the energy of Soul Edge in Ivy

I don't get how her losing to Ivy makes her relevant to the story.
If Hwang or Yun-seong are in then Mi-Na is likely in the game too. Their stories are too intertwined with hers for one of them to be in without her. It's the same vice versa, if Mi-Na is confirmed then one of the other two Koreans is almost definitely in too.

The downside to their stories being so dependent on each other is that they likely won't be ion the game without each other. You won't get Mi-Na without one of the other two. So if one's out of the game then they all are out of the game.

I don't get how her losing to Ivy makes her relevant to the story.
If Hwang or Yun-seong are in then Mi-Na is likely in the game too. Their stories are too intertwined with hers for one of them to be in without her. It's the same vice versa, if Mi-Na is confirmed then one of the other two Koreans is almost definitely in too.
Hwang was only there to get Mina back to Korea in the first place, so if Hwang's there he's likely chasing after Mina.

Hwang was only there to get Mina back to Korea in the first place, so if Hwang's there he's likely chasing after Mina.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. The Koreans are kind of a package deal, if one of the boys are in then so is Mi-Na, and if Mi-Na is in then one of the boys likely is too. It also means that we are more likely to have no Koreans if things come to that as it's unlikely that only one of them makes it in the roster.

latest

Exactly, that's why people are calling Mi-na, Lizardman, Rock and Voldo minor characters, the only difference is that Voldo has more of a recognizable, mainstay name, because of how he was presented in most games in comparison to the other 3, and don't tell me I don't like these characters, I'm allowed to think they're less relevant to the series yet still like them, in fact, Seong Mi-na is one of my favorite characters, that still doesn't mean I think she's relevant.

They could just write Hwang and Seong Mi-na off as a prologue type deal (like Xianglian to Kilik, Kyam to Maxi, etc.), and explain that part in his backstory, and then just begin Yun-seong's story proper by having him join up with Talim, and Yun-seong and Talim could be traveling companions, being the only story. And Talim would be using Yun-seong as a hook to get her into the story. Fudging the timeline a bit, sure, but Yun-seong and Talim having history, I feel like they can depend on each other without needing Seong Mi-na.

Ten Characters Left (Really only 5 when you take out the obvious)
1. Talim
2. Lizardbois
3. Pirate Douche
4. Big Baby With the Axe
5. Groh's Father

-----
6. Voldo (Has to be in)
7. Tira (should be in)

I think we really only have 3 for debate

1. Cassandra
2. Setsuka
3. Raphael

You could argue that Raphael will be in because of story// but it looks like a lot of retcons are coming.

Hey Verge how many characters did your source say the game would have? I am still thinking we will get 24-28 this game, including DLC
22 to 24. That was in February though. But that's the most recent thing they'd heard when it comes to the roster number.

Speaking of information, I got some more. People have still been wondering about it, but yes Maxi is gay, but there will be VERY vague implications to it. Significantly more vague than Kung Jin in MKX. Thank the localization team for helping with that. It was noted to pay attention to how he acts in story mode around a handful of male characters and you'll notice the subtlety at work.

It comes as no surprise after the story trailer, but can 100% confirm Lizardman will be in the game, not as DLC or anything like that, but in the game. However I cannot confirm him having a unique moveset as a playable character or just being a Sophitia clone to beat up only in the story mode at the moment.

The roster is finalized in case you were wondering. No more last minute changes. The DLC characters are decided on.

As for some potentially regretful news, it looks like Raphael fans might wind up having some stress sweat....

Here's a fun fact:

In most fighting games, the majority of characters are irrelevant to the "main" story. Shockingly, most people seem to be okay with this.
Yeah, but you see, when I talked about relevancy, I meant to the series as a whole, that changes the dynamics a bit, because usually it helps determine which characters are chosen or not for the next entry and why, Zasalamel is a good example of that, he might've been relevant in 3, but he was lost in the shuffle afterwards in terms of both story and popularity, and since IV was only his second entry, it didn't help his chances of returning in V, so when they had to cut characters, it wasn't a surprise that at the time Zasalamel and Talim were cut, disregarding their late popularity after their absence.

Back