Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Does he need a bulge to count or what?
I mean would you count true ogre as a "male" character?

is the distinction even important then? he's an ogre. Much like Aeon is a lizard... the distinction isn't really important, you could just consider him a monster/animal character like roger and alex. i put him in the male category because he is male... idky you are making such a big deal over putting (sorta) at the end

@bigbrook did you ask about the Lizardman style people have spotted in the story mode?
They were very non responsive to alot of questions so i didnt want to over intrude myself i got the hint i was only talking to the cool namco dude the mark man looking dude kept grilling us talking so i kind of stepped off didnt want to get nobody introuble

There aren't many sjw in here and no one is complaining about those things in your first few sentences.

And hate to break it to you, but gender and race has a lot to do with majority of works of fiction. While these might not be important in some, they are definitely figured into a large number of characters' portrayals and contexts, even if not entirely intentionally... just look at the millions of fictions work that emphasize those tenets. And of course just because one race, gender, or whatever isn't in a game that doesn't mean it's sexist or racist or not fair, but one can also look at larger patterns and analyze the contexts and consequences of those patterns. For an individual author or developer to not at least consider such patterns and contexts does not necessarily mean they are racist or sexist of course, but it can mean they may not be paying attention to certain trends and contexts, which is fine in most cases because most stories don't involve a cosmopolitan cast of characters, but I don't see why it can't be brought up either by a critical audience, especially as product-based media works are a reflection of both individual and societal values.

You shouldn't add characters just for the sake of having diversity in the racial and gender sense, but having different genders (and races and cultures) can encourage different and varying presentation of characters (art style) as well as more niche fighting styles, both of which will surely help the fan base and surely help fans come into the game. I don't know how that's arguable unless the art style is so bizarre or offensive, or you are more towards being a closed-minded purist or trying to portray a very specific vision of a game that would make sense to exclude certain race, gender, or culture (ie making a game with a small cast, or portraying a story in a very specific setting). I also doubt that Soul Calibur would be as popular if characters such as Ivy, Talim, and Taki weren't in the game. There might be reasons why some of the most popular character-based, big cast games in modern times have a significant amount of women (League, overwatch, etc.).

I understand being upset or concerned by overzealous SJWs, but people still need to look at the situation critically and realistically. No need to overreact to something that isn't happening, (ie in soul calibur fandom, barely anyone is getting upset at women being too sexy or how they interact with men because almost no one cares, but there are a lot of human beings who definitely prefer to play as females and others who prefer more flashy/feminine/dramatic play styles, or at least like having many options to go down that route and try different styles/characters). One can have the opinion that gender doesn't matter in game character portrayals, but it shouldn't be supported by falsehoods.
Well said good sir.
I have the luxury of being mixed "race" (i dont like that word) and Ive NEVER sat down to a fighting game and said "Hey wheres all the black people!" Or "Indian people!" Or whatever. I only ever cared whether the character was cool to me.
I never liked when companies try to please and cater to everyone, it always feels forced and usually robs games of authentic inspiration...

Also those new health bars are NICE! The Evo Japan build still has my favorite HUD tho.

Any Cass news??

If Lizardman were somehow revealed AFTER Inferno
Lizardman.png

I'm so sorry

Tira is fightable in the that build in the arcade mode.

Tira is fightable in the Arcade mode of SCVI at 15:48
They only let us play versus nothing single player so if she was in arcade i wouldnt of known there not leting nobody play solo or any other aspects of the game sorry.

@bigbrook thank you very much for your info!
Also those last few pages... the moral exhaustment from anticipation is real lol.
Though I often found myself agreeing with both sides at the same time.
With positivity VS negativity: on one side certain shortcomings of SCVI (lack in roster and stages deparataments and possibly in CaS parts too, DLC slots taking space in the roster even before DLC is released or even info about those DLC characters is revealed) are hard to ignore and they shouldn't be. As a responsible consumer you absolutely shouldn't just let such stuff slide, those shourtcomings are real and ignoring them is silly. BUT on the other side those same problems are talked over and over while positives are rarely brought up and such negative mentality makes it seem as if SCVI is badly recieved here, which it is absolutely not. And it does create kinda uneasey atmosphere over here.
With female characters: on one side f/m ratio is really not important and there shouldn't be some kinda quota or smth and with limited budget (which we are aware of) adding only the most SCVI-story-relevant characters makes perfect sense and majority of them just so happen to be male. But on other side most missing female characters are not only fan-favorites, but also have very unique fighting styles and designes, which is great and needed for the game. And gender of the character really does affect how said character is precieved, some stuff can be much more interesting if applied to a female character, so the constantly brought up scrapped female barbarian kinda makes sense. Diversity (not "that" kind) can really make stuff much more interesting, when different aethetics and fighting variations are brought into the game it's always good and a lot of them can only be done through a female character. So the concern for there being a lack of such characters makes sense (especially considering that it affects amount of CaS pieces for females).

It's always odd seeing negative connotations being used when the subject is about women or POC in gaming. There's enough history and in-game lore to utilize so it doesn't cheapen or take away from anything. Diversity is a good thing.

That said, I can't wait to try out Azwel if folks are already making comparisons to Viola's pressure.

Last edited:
Ok i had a ball at comic con i mustve got in about 15 games i won the majority got beat twice 1 by a voldo spammy spammy player and another by a shophi not bad he got the fundamentals down. Now to Cervantes players be prepared to put in work i myself find him slow as shit. Armament hes a fuckn cannon,soul calibur 4 version for the most part some sc5 moves and def sc6 new moves. His 3B doesnt launch on contact exept in certain conditions lethal hit he has a slew of auto gi moves that will take you along time to master he is definitely in his best iteration in my opinion he has alot of moves that put him in dread charge and keeps opponents guessing.he also has some strings that put him in dread charge so cervy players pls be prepared to rent the dojo for months hes def going to take skill to use no more basic let them whiff n punish them with a slew of idgrs. Which brings me to the new idgr part it launches at the end in an almost upward motion so if you do it and they try to step the end part of it”ll hit if you hold up hell go a little bit sideways so thats a plus good to catch them teching. Fundamentals are there all intact his gun game is fuckn retarted the amount of damage is insane. Guys be prepared to hit the lab.

Last edited:
It's always odd seeing negative connotations being used when the subject is about women or POC in gaming. There's enough history and in-game lore to utilize so it doesn't cheapen or take away from anything. Diversity is a good thing.

I think most people in the world are just sick of being called bad people because they don't care about diversity or that they think diversity should sit behind merit (or good cool designs/good stories). I've been called all manner of names under the sun because I think merit should be at the forefront instead of identity. I've put up with this for nearly a decade so in my experience it isn't odd that the subject causes friction, lost of people's skins have been worn thin.

I'm a bit sad that they don't have quick battle this time around, It was fun and replayability to play against random CaS.
(then again going to spend most of the time online in the end, but still) :p

I think most people in the world are just sick of being called bad people because they don't care about diversity or that they think diversity should sit behind merit (or good cool designs/good stories). I've been called all manner of names under the sun because I think merit should be at the forefront instead of identity. I've put up with this for nearly a decade so in my experience it isn't odd that the subject causes friction, lost of people's skins have been worn thin.
Got no problem with an almost all male cast myself if it tells a good story so long as we have a good diverse CaS system. A well built CaS allows for an awesome level of compromise.

The problem is when the lack of diversity bleeds into the restricting the compromise as well. The ability to make up for the lack of women through CaS characters is kind of shot in the foot when just like the main cast the males get more support in CaS as well.

I mean the males get whole costumes of options over the women on top of several races which only have male options.

I reiterate I don't care as must about the main cast as long as there's a good variety in characters, style, and story so long as it doesn't likewise screw over the CaS system which allows for such compromise.

The gatekeeping always tends to take place for anything that isn't "the norm" or in the majority though. That's probably one of many reasons you got that kind of response.

I've been called all manner of names under the sun because I think merit should be at the forefront instead of identity.
When hasn't it? I see this argument get mentioned a lot as if minorities are often thrown into video games without cool designs/stories and it's rarely ever the case. Representation matters across all forms of media, regardless of whether or not the "anti-SJW" types think otherwise.

OT: more female characters please, Bamco!
default_clap.gif

Back