Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Welp, Ranked means almost nothing now (not that it meant much before anyway).

Yeah, it didnt mean much of anything. Which is why i'm surprised to see people take it so seriously. Haven't all online rankings been a joke since forever? Pretty sure the beta penalized me for someone disconnecting at one point. I'll admit i was annoyed by CAS for the same reasons people have pointed out but... i dont know it just isnt worth cutting out customization. Again, player matches arent always quick and easy to do.

I hate to sidetrack things, but have we had any info on Libra of Soul from the early copies? It all seems Soul Chronicle focused. Is it not conceivable that there is stuff to be unlocked through the second big single-player mode?

Though given how they've used Tira, I wouldn't be surprised if the lizardman moveset is unfinished scraps, either to be completed and released later as DLC, or discarded into inaccessibility.

If CaS is allowed in ranked than there is literally no point in using the base roster characters at all when they will be inferior to a CaS that you can just make with longer reach or smaller hit boxes and hidden animations.
Well in terms of "balance" not exactly. If not the optimum height of said character template style then the CaS will be either weaker or more vulnerable. (According to stat changes)

Funny thing is, if a random CaS character was an original character no one would complain.
Leads me to believe for the majority of complaints it's less of a "balance" thing and more a aesthetic resentment

So we got no unlockable characters, and no DLC announcements today @ the Nakano event? How depressing... what a disappointment despite the great Zas, Groh, and Maxi play we saw today...

It's baffling to me how antagonistic people are being to those who just want a competitive ranked mode without CaS.

Some people just want to play classic SC and not deal with CaS shenanigans. That's how it's done at tournaments. Is that really so wrong?
To be fair, those who value CaS never had a problem till those who want to void CaS from ranked became temporarily entitled.
The word "skill" has been thrown around an awful lot

Sounds more like a bunch of whining to me. I mean if you really break it down it's really just a matter of how complex you want competition to be. It's a matter of how many variables you're willing to condend with. Are you more a checkers, chess or dragon chess player. The only difference between CaS and only being allowed the same exact character is a matter of extremes. One has no variables and the other has many variables. Single character is checkers, no CaS is chess, and with CaS is dragon chess (that weird chess with three boards and three levels).

You can compete in all three games just fine and with just as much vigor. Whining about hitboxes is just whining about too many variables. Be careful yoy don't dumb things down too much unless you like checkers over chess.

Whining is what you literally do all day on here. What I'm doing is making a rational case against having CaS in ranked online play. There's a difference - you don't make points, you just go "oh well if there's no CaS online then I'm not playing online!" I hope there is CaS in ranked, because it means that we will cross paths.

Also, terrible analogy. A very important thing to understand about SoulCalibur is that it is very explicitly not chess, and certainly not dragon chess. In both of these games, you have time to think. It is rock paper scissors. Every time you perform a move, you are guessing on the spot. Will it land? Well, what did your opponent do at the exact same time? Are you starting to see a pattern in your opponent's choices? How can you capitalize on that? The guess needs to be based on whether you have made more correct guesses than your opponent. "Oh god he is a skeleton using Talim's moveset, is this move going to land? I have literally no idea." is not competitive Soul Calibur. That's not what the game is meant to be, at its spiritual core.

Also, there has *never* been actual penalties for cas with smaller hitboxes, and or bullshit on their bodies. They don't have to worry about shit - other than the satisfaction of knowing that they can hit you with more moves than they can be hit with, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Watching the BN (Jorgo) stream, the char that were made from Nightmare's 'soul/template' used a long katana, and didn't have the Nightmare hand.. still could grab with the (not visible NM) hand , even if 20 cm away.

CaS should stay in Casual and SP. Even as I myself hopefully will play a lot with CaS chars, it wouldn't make sense to not being able to see the 'real' distance, due to changes to size etc etc..
I'm not aiming for ranked at all now, but if I would like to play it later, I don't want to win or lose due to one of the chars having an odd hitbox, och looking like an X-mas tree.

Color and clothing changes to 'real' chars.. maybe. But what if both picked the same?
I guess, and hope ranked will only allow 'real' chars.

No Bamco games ever announce the content of their season passes (besides day one DLC) before release.
Why everyone expects them to do it different this time all of a sudden?
Because we are deciding which package to buy... how can we when we don't know who the remaining 2 DLC characters are as part of the package? Makes sense to declare before release what is being offered. Also, with all the cameo teasers, there should have been some unlockables, but it seems there are none. How humiliating!

To be fair, those who value CaS never had a problem till those who want to void CaS from ranked became temporarily entitled.
The word "skill" has been thrown around an awful lot

Entitled? All we want is skill-based play and tournament-style rules. What's entitled is thinking that we don't deserve that because you want to play as a min-maxed loli Talim, fairness and balance be damned.

because you want to play as a min-maxed loli Astaroth/Nightmare
Fixed.
Imagine playiing against Talim/loli-sized character with Asta's (or Night) reach and attacks.
Imo ranked should only allow "default size" CaS and standard roster. If your character's size is different than original one's (who's size is not only artistic display, but also a part of balancing too) - then you shouldn't be using such inherently unbalanced character in ranked.

Last edited:
Well in terms of "balance" not exactly. If not the optimum height of said character template style then the CaS will be either weaker or more vulnerable. (According to stat changes)

Funny thing is, if a random CaS character was an original character no one would complain.
Leads me to believe for the majority of complaints it's less of a "balance" thing and more a aesthetic resentment
Aesthetic resentment.
Yep, definitely not getting it.
Well done...

Back